Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Finally McDyess is linked w/ Magic! Other news & notes(Denton)

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

If all Gortat is getting offered is the MLE, it makes no sense not to match. As a few others have noted, matching the MLE at least assures that we can trade him later and receive compensation for one of the best young bigs in the league exiting our team. Simply allowing him to sign with another team leaves a hole we would be unable to fill with anybody but McDyess IMO.

On another note, Look at our current roster:

Jameer/AJ

VC/JJ

Pietrus

Shard/Anderson

Dwight

This leaves me perplexed at Otis' insistence that Ryan Anderson be made available for the TE and also the much publicized desire for the Magic to still add another PF. VC is not a SF, and frankly neither is Shard any lobger. It would seem that our biggest necessity would be to fill roster spots with a backup PG upgrade, another swing man (can't believe that Artest & Ariza are signing for the MLE and we didn't throw our hat in the ring to replace Hedo), and a backup C if Gortat isn't retained.

Totally agree with you however i think Johnson is fine at the backup pg. I still dont like him walking the ball up the court though. But if we bring Gortat backup and pick up a wing man then this offseason would be ok to me. Also i cant believe why Artest is taking that deal. He must want a ring bad cause there is no way he should be making less money than Trevor Ariza. Lakers got another steal on that one. But i dont know why were going after Bass if SVG feels that Anderson is the backup to Lewis. We need a starting SF not Bass. BRING GORTAT BACK.

I can't tell if I'm going to be shocked come tomorrow where we announce we acquired _____ and also signed _____ to an offer sheet, or if I'm just going to drive myself crazy all summer hitting the F5 button to find out we signed Johan Petro for 50 cents.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I am holding out hope that Otis is waiting for Toronto and Dallas to up the ante on the S&T front to make it worth our while.

Picking up Bass without using the MLE would be big.

The only way I see us being involved in a S&T with Toronto is if they offer up a future pick along with a huge TE for Hedo - basically two assets that don't impact our cap situation.

And unless some very tricky CBA limitations ca be overcome that would allow us to trade Gortat for Bass, I can't really see us needing anything that Dallas has to offer (because their not going to give us Barea). And even then, as I stated in my last post, I just don't see why we need Bass with Shard & Anderson penciled in at the 4.

Sure Bass brings a physicality we lack in the frontcourt outside of Dwight, but unless we are planning to grrom Ryan as Hedo's replacement, do we need three capable PFs on the depth chart at the epxense of the remainder of our roster depth?

I really hope that getting Bass and McDyess is a big possibility for us. I think the best thing to do in that case would be to start McDyess and move Shard to the 3 spot and than we have Pietrus and Bass anchoring our bench.

As for a backup C, we could try and sign Rasho or someone for cheap and than just use em if Dwight is in foul trouble or McDyess can't rotate there.

Bass or McDyess would be awesome, but both would really be ideal and fill some obvious holes and weak spots.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I am holding out hope that Otis is waiting for Toronto and Dallas to up the ante on the S&T front to make it worth our while.

Picking up Bass without using the MLE would be big.

The only way I see us being involved in a S&T with Toronto is if they offer up a future pick along with a huge TE for Hedo - basically two assets that don't impact our cap situation.

And unless some very tricky CBA limitations ca be overcome that would allow us to trade Gortat for Bass, I can't really see us needing anything that Dallas has to offer (because their not going to give us Barea). And even then, as I stated in my last post, I just don't see why we need Bass with Shard & Anderson penciled in at the 4.

Sure Bass brings a physicality we lack in the frontcourt outside of Dwight, but unless we are planning to grrom Ryan as Hedo's replacement, do we need three capable PFs on the depth chart at the epxense of the remainder of our roster depth?

Do you think RA, or heck, even Gortat could bang with Sheed/KG/Perkins, or Potentially Davis/Duncan/McDyess, Gasol/Bynum?

if the stars aligned, and we were to somehow land both Dice and Bass, this teams super soft image would flip pretty much overnight...we would essentially being adding two the rougher, tougher front court players in the league and putting them next to one of the most dominate forces on the inside...now we just need a Dahntay Jones type to go along with Pietrus and then add a guy like Pargo and we would have a complete image makeover...

quote:

Sure Bass brings a physicality we lack in the frontcourt outside of Dwight, but unless we are planning to groom Ryan as Hedo's replacement, do we need three capable PFs on the depth chart at the epxense of the remainder of our roster depth?

I think having all three would actually be way good for us. Shard and "Neo" can drain the 3 and spread the floor and I don't think they'd have any problem rotating to the SF spot for periods. I think we could really have a nice rotation where at least two of those guys are in at all times. Bass could always be a PF and be in there to rebound and the Shard and Anderson could still spread the floor and get inside if they needed to with sizeable height advantages.

With the players left out there who'll play for the MLE, I think Bass should definitely be one of our top options. Another option is Shawn Marion if nobody is going to offer him anything. The market sucks so bad for him that he might be forced to sign for the MLE somewhere and I think he'd be awesome to put at the SF spot.

Was this posted yet?

From Kyler:

quote:
Gortat Headed To Dallas: With Magic GM Otis Smith you rarely know what's real and what's not, so with that in mind until the Magic actually pass on Marcin Gortat's five-year, $30 million offer from Dallas, you never really know.

Smith was fairly adamant yesterday that it was unlikely he'd be paying $5.5 million for a backup center. Smith however did take exception to the idea that he had any budget restrictions telling one reporter "the owner said I can spend whatever I want." The reality of the statement is a bit of a stretch, the belief is that ownership has green lighted up to $10 million more this off-season, but Magic sources believe Otis will be smart about his money knowing full well if things don't work out he'd be out of a job if he overspends too significantly and doesn't deliver the Finals.

The statement Smith made yesterday that got repeated a lot was that the Magic played eight players in their normal rotation. Smith pointed out, "We have eight players on the roster now." The Magic are not expected to be overly aggressive tomorrow when free agents can sign contracts, instead opting for value pieces as the second wave of players start looking for jobs.

Value players for a team that has stated openly that they will pay the LT in quest of a return trip to the Finals??? Seems like a direct contradiction which would be very disappointing for us fans..

I remember Joe D saying a couple of times that he wasn't working under strict money restrictions from Billy D when it came to filling the roster. Yeah, not true.

More interesting tidbits from Kyler:

quote:
The Mavericks are exploring other scenarios where they could obtain a trade exception to help buffer a Marion deal. Raptors' sources said earlier in the week they simply did not see a deal for Marion through Toronto, unless Orlando was involved in the deal signing and trading Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto

quote:

Was this posted yet?

From Kyler:

quote:
Gortat Headed To Dallas: With Magic GM Otis Smith you rarely know what's real and what's not, so with that in mind until the Magic actually pass on Marcin Gortat's five-year, $30 million offer from Dallas, you never really know.

Smith was fairly adamant yesterday that it was unlikely he'd be paying $5.5 million for a backup center. Smith however did take exception to the idea that he had any budget restrictions telling one reporter "the owner said I can spend whatever I want." The reality of the statement is a bit of a stretch, the belief is that ownership has green lighted up to $10 million more this off-season, but Magic sources believe Otis will be smart about his money knowing full well if things don't work out he'd be out of a job if he overspends too significantly and doesn't deliver the Finals.

The statement Smith made yesterday that got repeated a lot was that the Magic played eight players in their normal rotation. Smith pointed out, "We have eight players on the roster now." The Magic are not expected to be overly aggressive tomorrow when free agents can sign contracts, instead opting for value pieces as the second wave of players start looking for jobs.

Value players for a team that has stated openly that they will pay the LT in quest of a return trip to the Finals??? Seems like a direct contradiction which would be very disappointing for us fans..

Yeah, I think in that same interview or sometime recently, Otis stated that we're in the same position as a year ago as we're looking to build a championship team. Championship teams require depth which we don't have, and championship teams don't include JJ Redick in the starting five which is floating around. If Otis is planning on not doing much else cuz we got 8 guys than he's dumb, but like the article wisely states at the first, you never know with Otis.

He's not done, and we'll get more guys than just the ones on the summer league teams.