Sign in to follow this  
allstarme

Asymmetry of GM, Coach, and Fans

The GM works for tomorrow. Evidence:

Letting go of Steve Francis to give second-year PG Jameer Nelson the reigns. Acquiring future potential in Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza, JJ Redick, and to an extent, Fran Vasquez. Refusing to trade said players in an attempt to get a much-needed scorer at the deadline. Continuing to use phrases to the effect of, "I'm happy with our team," and, "We are developing."

The Coach works for today. Evidence:

Young players Travis Deiner, JJ Redick, and James Augustine spend much of their time on the IL, and have yet to find a consistent spot in the rotation. Veteran players Bo Outlaw, Pat Garrity, Keith Bogans, Tony Battie, and Grant Hill each have their number called before their younger same-skilled counterparts. Refusal to try player rotations involving 4-5 younger players.

The fans want winning today and tomorrow. Evidence:

We want to see Redick and Ariza take over the starting roles. We begged for Darko to start before Battie's injury. We want to see what Augustine and Deiner have to offer. We also want to trade for a dynamic scorer. We want our young players to win multiple championships in the future, but we're not happy if they aren't winning one this season.

Maybe this is the way it is with most teams, but I think it is overly apparent with ours. Or possibly, it's just OUR team with the discrepancies among motives. I think that if we could all get in line with each other, and our common focus could become clear, being a fan would be an exciting thing EVERY DAY, not just SOME days.

The GM works for tomorrow. Evidence:

Letting go of Steve Francis to give second-year PG Jameer Nelson the reigns. Acquiring future potential in Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza, JJ Redick, and to an extent, Fran Vasquez. Refusing to trade said players in an attempt to get a much-needed scorer at the deadline. Continuing to use phrases to the effect of, "I'm happy with our team," and, "We are developing."

The Coach works for today. Evidence:

Young players Travis Deiner, JJ Redick, and James Augustine spend much of their time on the IL, and have yet to find a consistent spot in the rotation. Veteran players Bo Outlaw, Pat Garrity, Keith Bogans, Tony Battie, and Grant Hill each have their number called before their younger same-skilled counterparts. Refusal to try player rotations involving 4-5 younger players.

The fans want winning today and tomorrow. Evidence:

We want to see Redick and Ariza take over the starting roles. We begged for Darko to start before Battie's injury. We want to see what Augustine and Deiner have to offer. We also want to trade for a dynamic scorer. We want our young players to win multiple championships in the future, but we're not happy if they aren't winning one this season.

Maybe this is the way it is with most teams, but I think it is overly apparent with ours. Or possibly, it's just OUR team with the discrepancies among motives. I think that if we could all get in line with each other, and our common focus could become clear, being a fan would be an exciting thing EVERY DAY, not just SOME days.

Good post, you never know what fans will all want, but at least the GM and Coach need to be on the same page!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is the root of our problem:

Otis= future bright with many talented young players.

B Hill= Win now with old school tactics, that do not allow young players any playing time, and produces few wins against quality opponenets.

Ownership= New Arena, with help from community work from B Hill, forgetting supporting Otis or the Magic on the court.

All of this together equals Chaos, which is exactly where this team is at as a whole.

well-written post!

I like what Otis has done, yet he still refuses to recognize the team isn't winning the way this coach is running it. He seems to agree with him, at least in public.

So I don't get it. Is he afraid to lose his job if he speaks up or does he really think the coach is doing a good job?

I have no problem with Otis working for tomorrow. I think him holding back on the trade deadline will play a key role on this team's success. He wants this young group to learn from their own mistake and not just rely on somebody who'd make a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I have no problem with Otis working for tomorrow. I think him holding back on the trade deadline will play a key role on this team's success. He wants this young group to learn from their own mistake and not just rely on somebody who'd make a difference.

That's my point. Otis wants this. So do the fans. Coach wants to win now. So do the fans. There is no harmony among the three.