Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Why Otis can wait and why Cleveland fans will panic.

You know we are in a pretty good position. No matter if we match Gortat's sheet or S&T with Turk, we are in a much better position than the Cavs to lure in a top player(s) with our MLE money. Why? Well it is pretty simple.

First and foremost all of our core guys are signed long term. Carter hash 2 more years with a team option on the 3rd. Dwight has 3 more years with a player option on the 4th. Both Lewis and Nelson have 4 more years. Even bench players are here long term. Pietrus 2 more years with a player option on the 3rd. Anderson 3 more years with a Q offer on the 4th.

Now go look at the Cavs and all you have to see is LBJ and his free agency next year. If you are a top player why on earth would you want to go to the Cavs when LBJ will not tell you he will be there past next year? The other thing is if you are the Cavs you are kind of screwed because if you give up the FULL MLE this summer, then next summer you will not have enough cap room to offer up 2 Max contracts. So if you do not win the championship, you can pretty much see the writing on the wall for LBJ.

What a crappy position to be in as a Cavs GM. You are screwed either way. Go ahead and give Andy a big deal and land someone for the full MLE, then next summer you are basically tied to signing only LeBron, whereas Jersey, who has a stacked roster of young talent, can sign LBJ and Bosh straight out. Not to mention if they get a high lotto pick it makes the Nets even more dangerous.

If you are a free agent looking to land on a title contender, you are looking at the Lakers, the Celtics and then the Magic probably in that order. The Lakers spent their money on Artest. The Celtics probably will have spent their money on Sheed. Now it will be the Magic's pickings. I would probably say Magic and SPurs pickings, but there is not really any news out of San Antonio that they want to pick anyone up after getting Jefferson.

There is no way on earth that a top free agent will choose Cleveland over the Magic if the money is equal. I now completely see why Otis wanted to wait. There are only a couple teams willing to drop some money this summer. Once those teams are out of the way the field is the Magic's. There should be some real bargains out there. Start listing them out, because the big named teams have pretty much spent their cash. Now it will be the Magic's turn.

You know we are in a pretty good position. No matter if we match Gortat's sheet or S&T with Turk, we are in a much better position than the Cavs to lure in a top player(s) with our MLE money. Why? Well it is pretty simple.

First and foremost all of our core guys are signed long term. Carter hash 2 more years with a team option on the 3rd. Dwight has 3 more years with a player option on the 4th. Both Lewis and Nelson have 4 more years. Even bench players are here long term. Pietrus 2 more years with a player option on the 3rd. Anderson 3 more years with a Q offer on the 4th.

Now go look at the Cavs and all you have to see is LBJ and his free agency next year. If you are a top player why on earth would you want to go to the Cavs when LBJ will not tell you he will be there past next year? The other thing is if you are the Cavs you are kind of screwed because if you give up the FULL MLE this summer, then next summer you will not have enough cap room to offer up 2 Max contracts. So if you do not win the championship, you can pretty much see the writing on the wall for LBJ.

What a crappy position to be in as a Cavs GM. You are screwed either way. Go ahead and give Andy a big deal and land someone for the full MLE, then next summer you are basically tied to signing only LeBron, whereas Jersey, who has a stacked roster of young talent, can sign LBJ and Bosh straight out. Not to mention if they get a high lotto pick it makes the Nets even more dangerous.

If you are a free agent looking to land on a title contender, you are looking at the Lakers, the Celtics and then the Magic probably in that order. The Lakers spent their money on Artest. The Celtics probably will have spent their money on Sheed. Now it will be the Magic's pickings. I would probably say Magic and SPurs pickings, but there is not really any news out of San Antonio that they want to pick anyone up after getting Jefferson.

There is no way on earth that a top free agent will choose Cleveland over the Magic if the money is equal. I now completely see why Otis wanted to wait. There are only a couple teams willing to drop some money this summer. Once those teams are out of the way the field is the Magic's. There should be some real bargains out there. Start listing them out, because the big named teams have pretty much spent their cash. Now it will be the Magic's turn.

quote:
Originally posted by VCMagic15:

I think we are more concerned about winning a title NOW as oppose to within 2-3 years.

And why would you say we could not win a title now? We have the right pieces, now it is just a matter of who Otis fills in around them with. Where did you ever get that I was saying we will wait to win a title?

Most of the quality free agents are past their primes and won't be looking for a long term deal. The possibility of Lebron leaving isn't a big deal, especially if they only sign for 1 year.

But yes, it must suck to be a Cleveland fan right now. They've been mentioned with every big name free agent so far not named Ben Gordon or Hedo. First Sheed, then Villanueva, then Artest, then Ariza, and they struck out on all of them. They must be on a rollercoaster right now.

San Antonio, Cleveland, and Boston have 5 dollars. They are going to Subway to get a sandwich. Now there are better sandwiches out there, but for 5 bucks the sandwich will fill them up enough.

Otis Smith is taking his 5 bucks to McDonalds and ordering off of the dollar menu. He needs a drink, some fries, a couple of burgers. He can't settle for one sandwich, even though it is healthier for him. Plus he can't spend the full 5 dollars, because he doesn't have enough for the tax.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Stickle:

San Antonio, Cleveland, and Boston have 5 dollars. They are going to Subway to get a sandwich. Now there are better sandwiches out there, but for 5 bucks the sandwich will fill them up enough.

Otis Smith is taking his 5 bucks to McDonalds and ordering off of the dollar menu. He needs a drink, some fries, a couple of burgers. He can't settle for one sandwich, even though it is healthier for him. Plus he can't spend the full 5 dollars, because he doesn't have enough for the tax.

quote:
Originally posted by mikemagicfan08:

So who do you think we will end up signing Ben?

You know I personally do not care at this point who we sign. I would rather complain about it once Otis does it. ...nah seriously I like a lot of the free agents out there. Bass is obviously nice with his age and abilities. But there are several players we can pick up with either a S&T with Portland or using parts of our MLE. Here is the ones I would target assuming Artest, Ariza and Sheed are off the market.

These guys for a large part if not all of the MLE: Brandon Bass, Antonio McDyess, Marvin Williams, David Lee, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Zaza Pachulia.

These guys for the Vet Min: #1 Grant Hill, #2 Theo Ratliff, #3 Bobby Jackson those are my top 3. The rest in any order: Channing Frye, Stomile Swift, Matt Barnes, Robert Swift, Donyell Marshall, Desmond Mason, Chris Wilcox, Malik rose, Shelden Williams, Rodney Carney, Gerald Green, Damon Jones, Luther Head, Chris Mihm, Marquis Daniels, Allen Iverson, Wally Sczerbiak, Joe Smith, Sean May, Leon Powe, Flip Murray.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Stickle:

The best analogy I've seen. Congratulations.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

Most of the quality free agents are past their primes and won't be looking for a long term deal. The possibility of Lebron leaving isn't a big deal, especially if they only sign for 1 year.

But yes, it must suck to be a Cleveland fan right now. They've been mentioned with every big name free agent so far not named Ben Gordon or Hedo. First Sheed, then Villanueva, then Artest, then Ariza, and they struck out on all of them. They must be on a rollercoaster right now.

Actually I disagree about the quality free agents being past their prime. Look at the list I made. There are a lot out there from the entire spectrum of age and experience. I am with Otis. Work out your issues with Turk and Gortat. Then know what you need to go out and get once you have those two pieces resolved.

Is it alright if I panic even though I'm not a Cavs fan?