Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic Beat Writer Dick Scanlon(Lakeland Ledger) w/ his opinion of Coaching situation

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:
Originally posted by NBAMagic47:

good article junkie, finally a writers opinion who seems to be unbiased either way. he makes some good points and observations through out the entire article

quote:
There is a widespread assumption that the players do not like Hill, and certainly there are players who don't.

But there is no evidence of a player revolt.

To have a revolt, you need a leader, and one of the many problems with the Magic's roster is that they don't have one.

i have been trying to bring this point across since i started posting, its nice to see and read someone else with the same opinion.
quote:
There was a bogus story going around NBA gossip circles that Howard was livid when Hill insisted he make it back for the first practice after the All-Star break. Anyone who knows Howard also knows he would not be offended by something like that. In other words, he is no Penny Hardaway. At least not yet.

i posted a similar statement earlier today. if anybody knows dwight they would know that it is not in dwights character to have any ill feelings toward anyone

quote:
The case against him, amplified by get-a-life web sites and radio talk shows, is that the Magic should have done better than 40-42 in a season in which the Eastern Conference was unusually weak and injury-riddled.

i just like the term get-a-life web sites, if anyone knows me by now they would know how i feel about this. overall good article, thanks for finding and posting it junkie

You are trying to legitimize your opinion based on a author of an article that is only commenting on a situation from his point of view. You can not use his comments as evidence of fact when he has no first hand knowledge either way.

Ben, his(Dick Scanlon) point of view is of a Magic beat writer that has been with the team since it's inception. As most people have commented already he seems to be a straight shooter and not taking anyone's side in his thoughts.

What I can tell you is what I've already said. This guy has been covering the team since the beginning. He has personal relationships with the players and the coach's and management.

I guess you could say from a personal standpoint it is his opinion and not factual. True.

I happen to know the guy very well. You all have known me for a long time. As I said earlier I worked with his wife for many years. Very honest, hard working people. I would be very hard-pressed to disagree with any of his comments because of my personal relationship with Dick and knowing the honesty and integrity with which he and his wife conduct themselves. I would say his comments are about as close to gospel as you can get in this crazy Brian Hill situation that the organization is now involved in.

Scanlon writes about too many coaching changes, calling into question the 4 game sweep by Detroit in the playoffs, and making the mistake of calling Brian Hill's job into question publicly. There is nothing written about the credibility of needing a new coach and properly utilizing the talent on this team.

Does not surprise me about his false comments about get- a-life websites and radio suggesting that newsprint is more legitimate.

The Agent for Dwight Howard said he would not go public period under any circumstances, that is not who he is. Vander Weide through his actions is trying to prevent this.

quote:
I would say his comments are about as close to gospel as you can get in this crazy Brian Hill situation that the organization is now involved in.

And I would say he's just another no name writer whose opinion is no better than anyone else's. He reports nothing none of us don't already know and I am really tired of people taking pot shots at weezt0e for having a fan website and acting on his convictions for a team he loves. Maybe Scanlon should "get-a-life" and recognize that sports writers aren't the only one entitled to publish their views and rally others around it. and yes its pretty obvious he's referring to Firebrianhill.org

Your "Straight shooter" is off target. Vander Wiede's job is not to follow the course set two years ago even if it is obviously heading into an iceberg. When he finally sees the iceberg its his job to change course. Anyone who saw the first three games of the Detroit series could finally see what all of us have been saying. Hill does not and will not change even after stating that he should have played JJ and would play him for spacing reasons. That was the moment of revelation to those who couldn't see it before. After those comments it was obvious Hill was not competent.

I don't think he's a straight shooter or that he wrote an unbiased either weay article. I don't see where you see that. This article is clearly in support of Hill. That's ok with me as everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to read this article and call it unbiased seems like Fox news to me.

"The playoff sweep at the hands of the Detroit Pistons? Come on! Nobody was too surprised by that. Besides, Smith had said Hill's future was not tied to the Magic's playoff fortunes."

Doesn't sound unbiased to me.

"There was a bogus story going around NBA gossip circles that Howard was livid when Hill insisted he make it back for the first practice after the All-Star break. Anyone who knows Howard also knows he would not be offended by something like that. In other words, he is no Penny Hardaway. At least not yet."

How does he know the story is bogus? He presumes to know Howard wouldn't be offended.

"So after Vander Weide's unfortunate remarks, the Magic organization is faced with the choice of spinning out of them, or spinning its wheels with a fifth different head coach in 4 1/2 years."

Unfortunate remarks? Clearly an unbiased report.