Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Player Grades: Courtney Lee

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

I think that Lee needs to work on his ball handling and passing skills. I think he would be the perfect point guard for this team if he can develop in to one. The good thing is his qualifying offer is the same year that Jameer's contract is up. For that reason I am hoping the team develops him as a point guard of the future.

We all know he have the Basket Ball IQ to be a point guard. It is just how is his handles under pressure. We did not see it a lot, but I would think since he plays defense so well, that his skills as a ball handler would be pretty good since he would have an idea of what to expect is coming at him. Off the dribble he could probably take most point guards. There is no doubt he could guard pretty much every NBA point guard. He can definitely shoot as good if not better than the top 10 point guards. Now it is just a matter of if he can facilitate like a point guard. I know he has good passing skills when playing a 1 on 1 game. But how about if he is developed in to the point guard. He is the first shooting guard we have drafted since Penny that I think can play the NBA point guard position. He is definitely better than Rodney Suckey

Your thoughts?

I haven't seen any evidence Lee has the mentality or vision to be a pg. He's a borderline chucker. But, after watching Jameer improve rather dramatically in that respect this year, I won't say it's impossible. That would be obtuse...

i humbly disagree. Courtney was given the green light and took open shots. Once they weren't falling he stopped shooting as much.

quote:
Originally posted by HighClassTrash:

quote:

I think that Lee needs to work on his ball handling and passing skills. I think he would be the perfect point guard for this team if he can develop in to one. The good thing is his qualifying offer is the same year that Jameer's contract is up. For that reason I am hoping the team develops him as a point guard of the future.

We all know he have the Basket Ball IQ to be a point guard. It is just how is his handles under pressure. We did not see it a lot, but I would think since he plays defense so well, that his skills as a ball handler would be pretty good since he would have an idea of what to expect is coming at him. Off the dribble he could probably take most point guards. There is no doubt he could guard pretty much every NBA point guard. He can definitely shoot as good if not better than the top 10 point guards. Now it is just a matter of if he can facilitate like a point guard. I know he has good passing skills when playing a 1 on 1 game. But how about if he is developed in to the point guard. He is the first shooting guard we have drafted since Penny that I think can play the NBA point guard position. He is definitely better than Rodney Suckey

Your thoughts?

Jameer is our point guard of the future. Unless you would rather Court be the "back-up point guard of the future" than the (potential) all-star 2 guard of the future, this post is pointless.

is it any more pointless than stating that lee has the chance to become an all star sg? thats far more unrealistic than lee being a backup pg.

quote:
Originally posted by HighClassTrash:

quote:

Your thoughts?

Jameer is our point guard of the future. Unless you would rather Court be the "back-up point guard of the future" than the (potential) all-star 2 guard of the future, this post is pointless.

here is my point about Lee becoming a point guard. SO let me state my case.

OBVIOUSLY Jameer is our point guard until 2013. But do you realize how old Jameer will be in 2013? He will be 31 and I can promise his best years will be behind him because of how much he lays it out on the line taking hits every single game.

My point with Lee is you have 4 seasons to get him to the point of possibly becoming a starting quality point guard. His Qualifying offer is the same year that Dwight will opt out (3 years from now). If Lee could prove to be a quality point guard then there is no reason we would need to cough up a ton of money AGAIN to Jameer who would be 31 at the end of his contract. I am not saying we would not bring Jameer back, just that we would not be in a desperate situation to overpay him.

So if you look at how much Lee progress this year and also remember when he was drafted both Otis and Stan said he would see minutes at the PG position, it makes complete sense to groom him to be the player that could take over when Jameer's contract is up. Because when Lee becomes a RESTRICTED free agent he will be 26 and turn 27 when the season starts. That would be his PRIME.

If he could become a starting quality PG our salary structure heading in to the 2013 offseason would be set up perfect because the ONLY players on the payroll would probably be Howard, Lee and Hedo...That is if we give Hedo a 5 year deal.

This also goes back to my point on why you resign Gortat. You groom him to eventually be a starting power forward and play NEXT to Dwight.

Just look at our team and the players that could end up playing key roles when Jameer, Lewis and Hedo are at the end of their contract.

Lee would be 27

Gortat would be 29

Dwight would turn 27

Then is you still see Jameer, Lewis and Hedo as being productive you can bring them back. Jameer and Pietrus would be 31 each. Not entirely outside of their prime, but you have to figure Jameer might have 3 good years after that wear and tear and Pietrus, depending on how much playing time he gets between now and then, his value could be anyone's guess.