Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Pony Up The Money RDV...

There is absolutely no way i let anybody sign Gortat away from us if I'm Otis. Hedo on the other hand all comes down to salary demands. Anything over 8mil, adios.

Insighfull post. Unfortunately, one of the main components that add value to a franchise is GODDWILL. Not even a much hyped team like Cleveland will ever achieve that, especially after I've read in a few places, Cleveland's value will decrease by $100 M if Lebron flees. That takes time and the local market would weigh heavy. The Knicks are a prime example. Aren't they the second most valuable franchise in the NBA, and what have they done this last decade ? The added value only means something if you use it's equity or sell of at a higher value.

I'd say the owner would prefer to pocket the windfall more than anything else.

There was a time when Devos tried to short change Shaq on his contract by not offering the max contract. We know how that one ended. Devos kept his money and his franchise's value plummeted exponentially after he left. Lets hope the old man gets economics and the fundamentals of basic business 101 this time around.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

There was a time when Devos tried to short change Shaq on his contract by not offering the max contract. We know how that one ended. Devos kept his money and his franchise's value plummeted exponentially after he left. Lets hope the old man gets economics and the fundamentals of basic business 101 this time around.

Not only that, but the tax payers (i.e. tourist) is paying for RDV' Marble Temple. If not for the governments approval who knows the kind of arena RDV would end up with in Orlando or in any other city given the state of the economy. RDV has been REWARDED more than any sports owner during the worst economic downturn in the last 75-100 years. If he does not want to go in to the tax for just one season, we need to rethink how many games we should attend as fans.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

There was a time when Devos tried to short change Shaq on his contract by not offering the max contract.

Not exactly accurate

I agree, Shaq was going to LA no matter what, however it was the perception of being cheap is how many on the public took it. IF the Magic lose either free agent and it comes down to money he may get that cheap tag all over again.

"we're not satisfied" - RDV

this statement doesn't mean the same thing to RDV as it does to magic fans. DeVos isn't satisfied this season but, hes got everything he wanted for the future. The Tycoon of Grand Rapids already has: A super star locked in a contract, successfully holding the team hostage to get his new arena from the city and hes locked fans into season tickets for the next couple of seasons. why would he spend more money when he already got blood from the stone?

if DeVos goes into the luxury tax i will change my name to "i REALLY DISLIKE Rich DeVos" but i don't see my name changing.