Sign in to follow this  
brolando

Talk **** to Cavs Fans.

quote:
Originally posted by orlandomike:

I agree with the post to a certain extent. We need to show more aggression, or maybe enthusiasm is a better word but there are kids there, there shouldnt be fights or intimidation or yelling at other teams fans.

I think the team will respond to just good natured clean yelling and cheering support.

100% correct

I agree with basically all sides. I agree that it's lame that Magic fans lack the passion of Laker or Celtic fans, and I think it's also ridiculous to think fighting or whatever would suddenly create a powerful fan base. But, the OP has stated he retracts that statement, well, about 3 or 4 times.

That said, I really think one thing would create a stronger fan base and one thing only. A championship. Plain and simple. From what i've gathered, the home arena was LOUD during the 95 run right? Well probably because we were on the cusp of a Title, that never happened, and so obviously the fans grew more and more pessimistic and maybe that translated to wishy washy fans?

I don't know for sure, I wasn't of age to be at those games back in the 90's. And I clearly understand all the points that were made in the thread, but seriously. Bottom line, we all know what will truly increase the loyalty and quality of our fans. And that is a NBA Title. 5 Games Till History Ladies and Gentlemen, Lets get it!

I think its far more better to talk scrap about a team when you know you teams weaknesses and strengths against the opponent. It gives you more credibility. When you have that, that's when you talk it.

Lets define talking trash.

Ask a Cleveland fan questions that makes the opposing team look weaker such as....Whose the better team without their superstar player? Give them facts but without stooping to their level.

Throwing a punch is not going to get anything solved. We need really knowledgable fans to be at games if we ever want a rowdy crowd. I wish the entire forum would attend but I live in Orlando and can't afford tickets myself. Thats why I pass on games but I enjoy watching it on a large screen television in surround sound. Its almost like your there in the upper bowl..just with better camera angles.

So you care what other fans perceive our fanbase to be? How does that affect you individually?

If you care about the games, why should it matter that our fans aren't loud obnoxious d-bags? That is what you appear to want us all to be.

I appreciated all Magic fans from our previous game. They surrounded the TNT crew and were cheering Lets Go Magic. If I were there, that would be a memorable moment as a Magic fan.

quote:
Originally posted by orlandomike:

I agree with the post to a certain extent. We need to show more aggression, or maybe enthusiasm is a better word but there are kids there, there shouldnt be fights or intimidation or yelling at other teams fans.

I think the team will respond to just good natured clean yelling and cheering support.

Right on.

I really don't see the need to be obnoxious. If the opposing teams fans want to attend the game they have a right to do so without being verbally abused. As long as they are respectful let them cheer for their team. Now if they start getting obnoxious then all bets are off.

Now I completely agree with the overall sentiment that the crowds need to be louder. The playoffs have been rather impressive but during the regular season Orlando crowds routinely sit on their hands for the game. It would be nice to see that change.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

So you care what other fans perceive our fanbase to be? How does that affect you individually?

If you care about the games, why should it matter that our fans aren't loud obnoxious d-bags? That is what you appear to want us all to be.

That's not my point, at all.

I overstated my case in the original post to make a point and stir the pot. I don't think we need to be "obnoxious d-bags", but a little more energy and passion would be nice.

The point is, I've been to 3 games this postseason, and I've only heard 1 person in those 3 games try to get a "Let's Go Magic!" chant going at halftime (it was me, by the way - and nobody else jumped on).

As a fan base, we're not enthusiastic - let alone rowdy - at the games. Like I said, according to TNT, there were roughly 4,000 Cavs fans of about 20,000 total at Game 4 - that's 20%. That's really bad.

It seems like at least half the people at the games could care less. It's like they got the tickets for free from their job. It sounds like some of the more passionate people on this message board aren't able to afford tickets, and I get that not everybody can spend $100 on a night out (if necessary, Game 6 tix are available for $50.50 on StubHub).

To those passionate fans who say they can't afford tickets...

Detroit is the poorest major city in the nation and has been hit hardest by the recession, but they sold out 259 consecutive games over a five-year period into this season. And they had an average home attendance of 21,877 during the 2008-09 season.

Through the first half of the 2008-09 season, the Magic were the only team in the bottom 1/3 in attendance with a winning record. Of course, many people hopped on the bandwagon for the playoff push - largely fueled by corporate ticket purchases.

Nick Fridell of Yahoo! Sports had this to say about our fans this season:

"For the most part, the crowds I've seen at Magic games are flatter than a pancake. Sure, there are some exciting moments, and, if asked, the fans are usually willing to get out of their seats and cheer. But, if it wasn't for the noise blaring from the speaker system, you would be able to hear Stan Van Gundy barking out orders on almost every possession."

A few of the stellar teams with better home attendance than the Magic this season: Warriors (29-53), Raptors (33-49), Thunder (23-59), and Knicks (32-50).

Wow, the more I read, the more pathetic our fan base looks.

By the way, here's a little formula for those of you who don't think fan passion translates into superstar players signing long-term contracts:

Attendance = Revenues = Money for Capital Expenditures & Operating Expenses = Bankroll for Salaries = Happy, Well-Compensated Players

quote:
Originally posted by brolando:

A few of the stellar teams with better home attendance than the Magic this season: Warriors (29-53), Raptors (33-49), Thunder (23-59), and Knicks (32-50).

Wow, the more I read, the more pathetic our fan base looks.

By the way, here's a little formula for those of you who don't think fan passion translates into superstar players signing long-term contracts:

Attendance = Revenues = Money for Capital Expenditures & Operating Expenses = Bankroll for Salaries = Happy, Well-Compensated Players

Mentioning the Warriors doesn't exactly support your notion that attendance leads to keeping superstars around. Ditto for the Raptors. The Thunder can probably be thrown out too, because it was the first season that city had its own team.

But a list of teams with better attendance is irrelevant anyway, because it doesn't support your point. You need to list examples of free agents that didn't sign here because the fan base sucks and players who left here for the same reason.

I think if you look into this you'll find that there are far more important factors influencing these decisions.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Mentioning the Warriors doesn't exactly support your notion that attendance leads to keeping superstars around. Ditto for the Raptors. The Thunder can probably be thrown out too, because it was the first season that city had its own team.

But a list of teams with better attendance is irrelevant anyway, because it doesn't support your point. You need to list examples of free agents that didn't sign here because the fan base sucks and players who left here for the same reason.

I think if you look into this you'll find that there are far more important factors influencing these decisions.

The impact that fan attendance has on contracts is really not my point. I'm not sure how this has become the point of discussion. All I'm saying, Jackie, is that the "core" of the Magic fan base (which is us) should be the ones leading the charge towards more enthusiasm about the team - and part of that is making sure opposing fans don't show up in droves of thousands. And if that means [tastefully] taunting the guys wearing a LeBron jersey, then I'm going to do it.

If you're still arguing the idea that most talented players wouldn't rather play in cities with serious fans, then I'm really not sure what to say. I think everybody who has read this post gets the point.