Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

God?

quote:
Organized religion is flawed, and it all started with the Catholic Church IMO, not to offend any Catholics because I am a Christian myself.

Catholicism in its historical existence, was a means to control the population during the Dark Ages... As is most current organized religion.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

It's just a different way of looking at the world. You do things that make you feel comfortable with your life and the nature of reality, and I do too. But those things don't have to be the same.

This is probably the best, most rational argument I've ever read in regards to the issue of religion.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Wow, I can't believe I am just now coming across this topic. I have two questions.

1) Everyone has heard this: Could God build a mountain so tall even he couldn't climb it?

2) As someone who would be labeled a "non-believer", why should I believe?

I can't wait for them to start talking about free will or evolution vs. creationism.

I believe in Karma and reincarnation.

Buddha is my "god," though he's more of a symbol... like I believe MOST deities are, the Christian god included.

But I ain't gonna hate on what anyone believes, because if having faith in something helps you live a better life, then more power to you.

My power comes from within, not from without.

quote:
Originally posted by The O-rena Chicken Tender Basket:

People, people, people!!!

How can anyone who has tasted my plump, hot, juicy breastesses not believe that there is a God above that made such a heavenly life-affirming treat possible?

I'm so heavenly delicious, the chicken and the egg quit their arguing and settled on me! That's tender baby!

hmmm...good point. Praise be to Jebus

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Freex:

While I certainly argue with my God in mind, when I say atheism I mean atheism as in no god at all.

Look, we all have death and face eternity, whether we believe in a god or not. With that in mind, everything comes up meaningless looking at the big picture when faced with eternity. Believing in nothing but just what I can see (and some things I cannot see provided they are not a creator) would give a meaningless perception of life, like eat, drink, enjoy and die. That because I'm taking everything out of the equation but mere natural existence.

Idk how many of you have analyzed this, but as I said there are many people that will just tell

you life has no purpose and design. They live with that somehow but don't try to tell life has a great purpose when their beliefs are materialist and atheist. I'm not trying to push you into that, just bringing it so you consider it.

I need to continue later... I've been picked up icon_smile.gif

I think the exact opposite is true. My life is given greater meaning because I don't believe there will be anything after I die. If there is an afterlife, then what I do with this life doesn't matter much because all I have to do is accept Jesus and be a good Christian and then I get into heaven. My day to day life is meaningless.

But if I believe that this life is the only life, everything becomes more important and more meaningful because I don't get a second chance.

It's just a different way of looking at the world. You do things that make you feel comfortable with your life and the nature of reality, and I do too. But those things don't have to be the same.

Believing in the afterlife does not make life meaningless. In Christianity for example, the believer lives to do the things God wants him to do, which include living a life of compassion and love and preaching so that others believe in Christ. They don't work for themselves and quit. It makes the believers know they can enjoy life but at the same time work for things because there are eternal consequences. As in your belief, there are no second chances. You have one life to believe, one life to live in Christ. Salvation is secure in Christ, but it's not the only thing we live for.

The above is not an opinion, but my way to summarize the teachings of Jesus and the Bible. I didn't come up with it. In any case, you may read the Bible and find it for yourself, draw you own conclusions. I know other religions have other views.

Whatever you believe about the meaning of your life, I suggest you don't think believing in the afterlife makes the believer's life meaningless. That argument's logic is essentially flawed for what I wrote above.

Live today because there's nothing tomorrow. If there was, why living today? - this sounds like a summary of what you said.

Out of curiosity, do you believe in the history of Jesus written in the gospels? Have you read it? Do you believe what they wrote is true?

quote:

quote:

quote:

While I certainly argue with my God in mind, when I say atheism I mean atheism as in no god at all.

Look, we all have death and face eternity, whether we believe in a god or not. With that in mind, everything comes up meaningless looking at the big picture when faced with eternity. Believing in nothing but just what I can see (and some things I cannot see provided they are not a creator) would give a meaningless perception of life, like eat, drink, enjoy and die. That because I'm taking everything out of the equation but mere natural existence.

Idk how many of you have analyzed this, but as I said there are many people that will just tell

you life has no purpose and design. They live with that somehow but don't try to tell life has a great purpose when their beliefs are materialist and atheist. I'm not trying to push you into that, just bringing it so you consider it.

I need to continue later... I've been picked up icon_smile.gif

I think the exact opposite is true. My life is given greater meaning because I don't believe there will be anything after I die. If there is an afterlife, then what I do with this life doesn't matter much because all I have to do is accept Jesus and be a good Christian and then I get into heaven. My day to day life is meaningless.

But if I believe that this life is the only life, everything becomes more important and more meaningful because I don't get a second chance.

Believing in the afterlife does not make life meaningless. In Christianity for example, the believer lives to do the things God wants him to do, which include living a life of compassion and love and preaching so that others believe in Christ. They don't work for themselves and quit. It makes the believers know they can enjoy life but at the same time work for things because there are eternal consequences. As in your belief, there are no second chances. You have one life to believe, one life to live in Christ. Salvation is secure in Christ, but it's not the only thing we live for.

The above is not an opinion, but my way to summarize the teachings of Jesus and the Bible. I didn't come up with it. In any case, you may read the Bible and find it for yourself, draw you own conclusions. I know other religions have other views.

Whatever you believe about the meaning of your life, I suggest you don't think believing in the afterlife makes the believer's life meaningless. That argument's logic is essentially flawed for what I wrote above.

Live today because there's nothing tomorrow. If there was, why living today? - this sounds like a summary of what you said.

Out of curiosity, do you believe in the history of Jesus written in the gospels? Have you read it? Do you believe what they wrote is true?

no, yes (just took a new testament class), and no.

My problem with the Bible is, if it is to be the word of God, what do you say about the, umm, 'creative exceptions' that will undoubtedly come from hundreds of years of translations to different languages, hand written copies, methodical changes (Kind James version), and other omissions and additions.

The Bible is like playing that game, telephone. There is no way our current versions are true to the 'original'. Anyone who believes in a literal interpretation of the Bible is, well, wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

My problem with the Bible is, if it is to be the word of God, what do you say about the, umm, 'creative exceptions' that will undoubtedly come from hundreds of years of translations to different languages, hand written copies, methodical changes (Kind James version), and other omissions and additions.

The Bible is like playing that game, telephone. There is no way our current versions are true to the 'original'. Anyone who believes in a literal interpretation of the Bible is, well, wrong.

I would never suggest a literal interpretation of the Bible, those who do are wrong in my opinion as well. The Bible is a tool to strengthen faith in Christ, and can be an extremely helpful guide when things are bleak.

If we all took the Bible literally we would still have slavery, we would be stoning homosexuals to death and handling snakes for holy purposes.