Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Fitness Gurus

So, my water therapy way back didn't really work.

I'm 153lbs and standing at 5'5. I plan to be at around 145 lbs.

So right now I've been going to the gym at least 3 times a week, eating less. On weekdays, I've eat oatmeal for lunch and after gym. Only real food I eat consists of mostly 2 tablespoon of brown rice and trying to at least intake chicken and meat most of the time.

I loss a pound in a week, I think I could lose more. I target burning 500 calories every time I run on the treadmill.

Any way I can help make this even more effective?

I've been staying off the weights for the past 2 weeks because I learned I cant build muscles and lose weight at the same time.

BTW, are there any known side effects for eating lots of oatmeal?

So, my water therapy way back didn't really work.

I'm 153lbs and standing at 5'5. I plan to be at around 145 lbs.

So right now I've been going to the gym at least 3 times a week, eating less. On weekdays, I've eat oatmeal for lunch and after gym. Only real food I eat consists of mostly 2 tablespoon of brown rice and trying to at least intake chicken and meat most of the time.

I loss a pound in a week, I think I could lose more. I target burning 500 calories every time I run on the treadmill.

Any way I can help make this even more effective?

I've been staying off the weights for the past 2 weeks because I learned I cant build muscles and lose weight at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Chronic bland breakfast.

not a fitness guru, but eating a lot of oatmeal would definetly make you...how do i put this?..Regular.

That is the only side effect i can think of...it's a ver healthy food.

Not a guru, but i do workout and i am not surprised you are not getting major results working out only 3x a week. You may want to up that to 5x, and get in at least an hour each time if you can.

Also, i would do the interval training instead of straight running on the treadmill. You know, sprint or run as fast as you can for a set time (like 45secs) then slow the pace for the equal amount of time, then repeat. When u slow down, don't slow down fully, just enough so that it's not running. It's tough, but it burns those calories. If you can't get to a gym, you could do the same thing on your porch with a jumprope. Google it for more precise instructions. If you are going to do it, make sure you had some carbs in the meal before your workout.

You could also try some light weights with more reps which helps with toning and also with increasing metabolism. Good luck!

Its actually at least thrice a week. Not including tuesdays when i play basketball. The schedule is something like

Monday- gym [cardio]

tuesday - basketball/gym

wednesday - gym [cardio][sometimes i rest though

thursday- gym [cardio]

friday- rest

saturday - cardio with weights [some times]

sunday - cardio [sometimes I rest]

I started my cardio exercise burning 500 calories each run just last week.

i also do the interval running coz I tire myself out.

4:30 - 5 minutes [max incline with 4.5 as speed]

1- 1:30 minutes [3 incline with 4.5 as speed]

2 minutes - runjog [10 speed with 3 as incline]

2 minutes - runjog [10 speed with 5 as incline]

I burn at least 100 calories per 10 minutes.

Two points.

1. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it gets to lose those last few pounds. You have to mix it up, don't let your body get too used to what it's getting. Body builders have this down to a science, going from high carb to low carb and back again at different stages of their training.

2. You may be reaching for the wrong goal. Lifting weights is probably interfering with your weight loss goal because muscle weighs more than fat, so adding muscle mass will increase your weight. So a certain number of pounds may not be the weigh to go (see what I did there?) Someone 5'5" weighing 145 with 12% body fat is not going to look as good as someone 5'5" weighing 145 with 6% body fat.

You haven't said why your goal is 145. Maybe you should check into an ideal body fat content rather than an ideal weight.

Don't get wrapped up in a number like your target weight.

Don't focus only on cardio, mix the weights into each workout, but go with low weight/high rep instead of high weight/low reps. You want to burn fat, not build bulk. Work out your major muscle groups each work out, don't alternate.

Breaking down the big muscles will burn calories throughout the day as they go into repair mode, instead of just the calories you burn during your running.

Cut out the starches, like rice and potatoes, and eat "good carbs" like green beans. Eating good carbs, along with healthy protein and fat (in a 4-3-3 ration respectively) are the keys to controlling your insulin levels. Keeping your insulin levels in check lets your body use your stored fat for energy instead of stored carbs. Your brain uses stored carbs for energy, your body is supposed to use stored fats. If your body depletes your brains supply of energy, you get tired and crave carbs to boost your brains energy supply.

Probably more detail than needed, but it's spot on. The "Zone" diet was started as a way to help diabetics control their insulin levels, but it is a great way to get your body working properly. Check it out online.

Dragondoor.com

Try a Russian Kettle bell. Seriously the best workout ever and it leads to real world results and applicability.

I'm kinda getting hungy now because I eat less and eat more oatmeal. But I supply myself with the instant oatmeal. haha

Anyway, my main goal is to lose weight, but sometimes, I life weights because I get too tired running and have to wait for my brother because we go to the gym at the same time. To be ripped, right now is simply a bonus. But I guess it contradicts with my goal. Right?

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I'm kinda getting hungy now because I eat less and eat more oatmeal. But I supply myself with the instant oatmeal. haha

Anyway, my main goal is to lose weight, but sometimes, I life weights because I get too tired running and have to wait for my brother because we go to the gym at the same time. To be ripped, right now is simply a bonus. But I guess it contradicts with my goal. Right?

But why is your main goal to lose weight specifically? Why does being ripped contradict it? I don't mean to be pushy, but I think you need to change your goal, or at least be a little more flexible about it. Granted, if you're trying to score a seat on the shuttle or you live in an extremely rickety house where absolute weight is an issue then you're on the right track, but if you're doing it for health or to look better then you need to shift your focus from total weight to body fat content. Adding muscle will make you heavier, but more muscle burns more calories, and it's the very rare doctor that will complain if you're heavier than the charts show for your height and age but have low body fat.

More of like look better at the same time have a ripped body. But I can go with looking thinner first before getting ripped.

I think that when people lose weight, they'll eventually look ripped anyway..