Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

OS - Orlando Magic likely will be quiet come draft night

quote:
General Manager Otis Smith said, however, that the Magic would investigate the possibility of acquiring a pick, be it late in the first or somewhere in the second.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...pr04,0,4130145.story

Hopefully, Otis can work something out. I really want the 33rd pick from Denver. I think we will be able to find a good player there, but wouldn't mind getting a late 1st, only if the price is right.

quote:
General Manager Otis Smith said, however, that the Magic would investigate the possibility of acquiring a pick, be it late in the first or somewhere in the second.

Hopefully, Otis can work something out. I really want the 33rd pick from Denver. I think we will be able to find a good player there, but wouldn't mind getting a late 1st, only if the price is right.

From RealGM wiretap, via NY Post:

Some NBA executives think lottery teams, including the Knicks, will look to trade down or deal for a 2010 selection if their "need" guy is not there due to the lack of overall quality beyond Blake Griffin.

The Knicks' 2010 first round pick will go to the Jazz as the final compensation for the Stephon Marbury trade.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

And then there is the Hornet pick. The Hornets are so over the cap that getting that trade exception would bring them under. The owners of the Hornets apparently are facing financial problems and being over the lux tax is really hurting them.

quote:

The Hornets traded there pick last year, and I don't think you are allow to trade 1st round picks two years in a row.

They can do it on draft day where they pick a player that the Magic want and then trade him to the Magic. I forgot all of what is involved, but they can do it.

quote:

The Hornets traded there pick last year, and I don't think you are allow to trade 1st round picks two years in a row.

i believe they traded the player they drafted (darrell arthur), not the pick. That means they would still be allowed to trade this year's pick.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:

i believe they traded the player they drafted (darrell arthur), not the pick. That means they would still be allowed to trade this year's pick.

Thanks for that information.

I would not buy a 1st round pick unless they found a player they REALLY liked such as Courtney Lee. I would rather them buy a 2nd round pick.

I heard Gortat's interview on the radio the other day and he eluded that he will be signing the biggest contract he can find. We may have to fill his spot through FA and maybe the draft. But I sure hope Otis resigns him.

Just to clarify, teams who dealt their pick last year would have no problem dealing this year's pick. The rule is that you can't deal consecutive picks in the same deal. So we can't offer our 2010 pick AND our 2011 pick in the same trade.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

I would not buy a 1st round pick unless they found a player they REALLY liked such as Courtney Lee. I would rather them buy a 2nd round pick.

I heard Gortat's interview on the radio the other day and he eluded that he will be signing the biggest contract he can find. We may have to fill his spot through FA and maybe the draft. But I sure hope Otis resigns him.

The same Gortat also has send that he would do whatever it takes to sign with the Magic. And with this economy it might not be as much as he was expecting and the other teams in the NBA are going to be just as thrifty.