Sign in to follow this  
Nick Anderson 4 President

John Hollinger's Per Diem - Magic Secret

It feels so weird having Hollinger on our joc, but this is a very nice article that points how much our defense has contributed to our success this year.

quote:
"All I hear about our team is that we're soft and everything else," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "People think we win games just by jacking up 3s. Very few people have realized that we've won games at the defensive end of the floor."

...And contrary to popular belief, it wouldn't be because of their 3-point shooting. Orlando does that well, too, of course, but at the core this is an elite defensive team

It feels so weird having Hollinger on our joc, but this is a very nice article that points how much our defense has contributed to our success this year.

quote:
"All I hear about our team is that we're soft and everything else," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "People think we win games just by jacking up 3s. Very few people have realized that we've won games at the defensive end of the floor."

...And contrary to popular belief, it wouldn't be because of their 3-point shooting. Orlando does that well, too, of course, but at the core this is an elite defensive team

i'd personally rather people not know the magic for good D. then they get ready for it, i'd be happy just expected us to go out there and commit stupid fouls and look like tards on defense, then they wouldn't play up for us.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

i'd personally rather people not know the magic for good D. then they get ready for it, i'd be happy just expected us to go out there and commit stupid fouls and look like tards on defense, then they wouldn't play up for us.

Tell that to Detroit. lawl

I love reading stuff from John Hollinger(as most of you already know)...not only is he great with stats and stuff but he is an excellent writer.

Go "Professor"!!!!

You know the old saying..."Defense wins Championships".

Let's see if it holds true this post-season...or at least how far it can take us.

quote:

With scouts etc in the league, I don't think it's really a big secret to the players and other teams, only to the media and fans of other teams that don't pay attention to anything they don't hear on ESPN.

This was one of Hollinger's Insider Gems:

quote:

5. I generally rally to the defense of NBA officials when they're taking heat from fans and columnists, but Leroy Richardson had about as egregious a blown call as you can make Wednesday night. On a third-quarter drive along the baseline, Rashard Lewis went up for a jumper and had his shot blocked by Kevin Garnett over the backboard, all while Richardson was standing about 2 feet away. Somehow, Richardson awarded the ball to the Celtics, while a dumbfounded Lewis pleaded with him that he hadn't shot the ball over the shot clock by himself.

Anybody remember this play? I don't...I must have in the kitchen when this happened.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

With scouts etc in the league, I don't think it's really a big secret to the players and other teams, only to the media and fans of other teams that don't pay attention to anything they don't hear on ESPN.

lol then i'd like to congratulate hedo on making it look like he's just bumbling around out there while he's playing stellar D, he must be using some sort of drunken master technique or something... ledgend of the hedo master.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

5. I generally rally to the defense of NBA officials when they're taking heat from fans and columnists, but Leroy Richardson had about as egregious a blown call as you can make Wednesday night. On a third-quarter drive along the baseline, Rashard Lewis went up for a jumper and had his shot blocked by Kevin Garnett over the backboard, all while Richardson was standing about 2 feet away. Somehow, Richardson awarded the ball to the Celtics, while a dumbfounded Lewis pleaded with him that he hadn't shot the ball over the shot clock by himself.

Anybody remember this play? I don't...I must have in the kitchen when this happened.

Absolutely. Happened on the opposite end of the court from my seats, and I could still see it plain as day.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

I think the ESPN telecast missed the beginning of this play, but I remember Rashard and Rafer complaining up a storm on an early 2nd half play coming back from commercial.