Sign in to follow this  
Natesroom

Faith and Family Night?

Yeah, I just read Thomas Ricks' book "Making the Corps" about Parris Island. Fascinating stuff. I particularly liked the part about the chaplain where he said "In an average parish, you have maybe 2 or 3 people that are in crisis and need spiritual help, while the rest are just there to feel good about themselves. In the Marines, every single one of these men are in a life-altering moment. You can have a greater impact on a greater number of people here."

My general feeling is that while Bob from Accounting may be having a rough day, the armed forces are putting their lives on the line, both literally and metaphorically, for the wellness and protection of the country. As such, they deserve (and often need) to have the best care they can afford. Unfortunately, many in the clergy think being a chaplain is trying to convert as many soldiers, Marines, etc. To me, a chaplain is there to offer a sense of normal life and a sanctuary from the thoughts of battle or the isolation of those deployed. In my mind, a chaplain should be a friend first and foremost, and offer spiritual guidance, but not hard-core evangelism. Is that fairly accurate?

And DoM, as my boy Marty Luther said, we all have our "gods". Some may worship money, some may worship sex, some may worship an actual deity. But everyone puts their faith and trust in something.

But I agree, Faith, as often defined, is associated with religion and may no necessarily apply to all, though the general idea of faith certainly does. And now, thanks to you, I will think twice about sitting in a chair today.

as part of my class last night we were discussing pauline theology and romans and one of the quotes about Romans was by luther who said Romans is the gate to the old testament..

nice quote

quote:
It can be very stressful for recruits, but also for instructors, and I believe they have a high number of stress related incidents. I have never been a terribly religious person, but I did spend every Sunday in church during my time on the (Paris) Island.

Come on Echo, we both know the real reason for going to church during boot camp/basic training. Its the one time out of the week that we were definitely not getting yelled at.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

And DoM, as my boy Marty Luther said, we all have our "gods". Some may worship money, some may worship sex, some may worship an actual deity. But everyone puts their faith and trust in something.

I know of a a three piece German technopop group who would disagree.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

I know of a a three piece German technopop group who would disagree.

we could probably put together 3 people from this forum that would disagree.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
It can be very stressful for recruits, but also for instructors, and I believe they have a high number of stress related incidents. I have never been a terribly religious person, but I did spend every Sunday in church during my time on the (Paris) Island.

Come on Echo, we both know the real reason for going to church during boot camp/basic training. Its the one time out of the week that we were definitely not getting yelled at.

You know... I thought this was true, until I stayed back one Sunday. It was quiet. Peaceful. Almost relaxing. Of course, there were only 4 of us in the squad bay, and I think our Drill Instructor took pity on us, so long as we were busy with something, he left us alone.