Sign in to follow this  
Mayhem

If playoffs started today . . .

Yeah Nick, you sig rocks.

I definitely want the Magic to beat Detroit in the first round and get over that mental hump. that would be like shaking off the last stink of Brian Hill, so to speak, lol.

That being said, I don't have any confidence that Detroit can be #6. I really don't think that they can keep a better record than one of ATL, Miami, and Philly. Heck, there's an outside chance they can miss the playoffs altogether, because I think the Bulls are gonna gell and make a serious push at it in the second half of the season.

But if I had to guess, I'm betting that Detroit ends up 7th.

Sheed is declining, this much is true, but that team has so many bigs to throw at Dwight, it's not even funny. Sheed will step his game up against Dwight in the playoffs, he's a heady veteran and knows exactly what it takes to get Dwight out of his comfort zone, which won't work 100% of the time for Detroit, but in their favor they have Kwame Brown, Amir Johnson, Dice & Maxiell who all know the game plan, play physical with him non-stop and make the rest of the team work for it...which is still the best strategy against this team...

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem:

Agreed on the Sheed factor, but then again . . .

I didn't see the Cleveland vs. Detroit game. If Sheed was guarding Big Z, Z dropped 23 on him and Sheed had a lowly 5pts in 27min.

Just saying, Z ain't no D12 and he seemed to do just fine against him.

Z scored on jumpers. He didn't confront Sheed in the post once, who seems to get amped up when he faces a big-time post presence.

Gotcha. Dangit, Dwight! Work on those jumpers!

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Our problem with Detroit was they made us slow down and play thier game

I don't see that happening with Alston as our point and how guick he gets us up the floor

By the third quarter look for a tired Detroit team.

with that being said I don't think we need to worry about facing them in the playoffs

I agree here, when we did play to our pace in that game in December we clearly was able to get the shots going and Dwight for some easy looks, then Detroit took over at the right time and got the win. With Alston I think the same, he will provide a better push to keep the team's tempo up throughout the game, and I really can't see us losing to this Piston team, they are just horrible right now.

We will see potential playoff match-ups all this week, Philly, Detroit, and Miami are all within 1 game of each other and potential 1st round foes.

All the Pistons need to do is make the playoffs regardless of how bad they play right now. I would think they'd make a push real soon. No matter what their seed they are a team to watch out for. Perhaps we get the 3 seed it could be moot as they will go up against boston or cleveland in that scenerio and they should get out in the first round. However if we play them, its anybodys at that point. We're a great team but its anybodys series at that point. I'd also think if they played boston or cleveland its anybody's series but those guys for some reason have a better chance against Detroit and we have a better change against them rather than Detroit. Not sure how that works out but for some reason it does. But you know the old saying, you want to be the best you gotta beat the best so we shouldn't hope to skip around anyone and we ust need to bring it when the day comes.

quote:
Originally posted by eoiam:

All the Pistons need to do is make the playoffs regardless of how bad they play right now. I would think they'd make a push real soon. No matter what their seed they are a team to watch out for. Perhaps we get the 3 seed it could be moot as they will go up against boston or cleveland in that scenerio and they should get out in the first round. However if we play them, its anybodys at that point. We're a great team but its anybodys series at that point. I'd also think if they played boston or cleveland its anybody's series but those guys for some reason have a better chance against Detroit and we have a better change against them rather than Detroit. Not sure how that works out but for some reason it does. But you know the old saying, you want to be the best you gotta beat the best so we shouldn't hope to skip around anyone and we ust need to bring it when the day comes.

+1, especially the last 30 words, and if 'ust' was 'just.'

bring it foo.

Even though this was back in the T-Mac days, i still Can't get over how they had to extend the first round to 7 games the same year we were up on Detroit 3-1 as an 8 seed.. In my mind we won that series lol

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

Even though this was back in the T-Mac days, i still Can't get over how they had to extend the first round to 7 games the same year we were up on Detroit 3-1 as an 8 seed.. In my mind we won that series lol

i think thats where this all started.

prince got his confidence from taking mcgrady and orlando out of the playoffs. detroit have been under elite status since then, and have dropped off the elite status since the billups trade, i agree with no ma'am that we look intimidated by their squad still. the only one that didn't show intimidation was peitrus, and he ended up with the broken wrist, i still love what he tried to do though.

I don't think the Pistons could take the series to 6 games...They are a flat-out bad basketball team right now.

Edit: Intimidated? I hate this whole simplified, I didn't watch the game so let me let the box score talk crap that analysts use. Players weren't "intimidated". And I especially hate it when this jargonized crap becomes Message Board acceptable. Dwight was played more physical than the vast majourity of officials will let him be. Jameer wasn't hitting open jumpers against the joke of a defender that AI is. And Hedo was having trouble dribbling the ball. And we lost by 6. Realistically, Jameer had a clear path foul, where we could've tied and perhaps taken the lead, that wasn't called and they made a jumper. Back-up power forwards usually aren't allowed to grab a guard with both hands and elbow him in the face. Really that 6 point deficit becomes, at worst, a one possession game.