Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

New Friday the 13th and other horror film related discussion.

I saw it yesterday and thought that is one of the best slashers I have seen. Jason was not a slow walking retard in this one, he was very athletic and fast.

It also demonstrated he has electrical and chemical engineering skills. He's also added bow and arrow skills to go along with his fencing skills. I also loved his traps and alarms that went off when outsiders got near. Very crafty.

When he finally sells the plants above his mine, and buys a sniper rifle with it adding sniper skills to his repertoire, he will be completely unstoppable.

Anyways, I enjoyed the movie.

WHAT WAS THAT!!!

I just heard a noise coming from that pitch black closet. I am going to go check it out.

I'll be right back.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

You guys need to hit up a Blockbuster and rent the following:

(Slasher Films)

Halloween & Halloween 2

April Fool's Day

Sleepaway Camp

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

I'm still scarred from that one. I also saw "Salem's lot" when I was a kid and it scared the bajezus out of me. "The Sentinel" had some memorable scenes as well and "The Fly" was another classic.

Horror movies have lately lost their psychological pezaz, but nonetheless, are still very entertaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Hey Jareth, which of my four goods did you not care for? Also, I was working off the top of my head. If I took the time to think back on all the horror films I've seen, my list might look different.

Mist and the Ring.

Saw I was marketed as a "horror" film but was actually a great 7ish type drama. Down hill from there...much like Sabbath before & after Ozzy or Ozzy w/Sabbath & on his own. Like comparing War Pigs & Paranoid with Crazy Train & Bark at the Moon.

lots to respond to. In no particular order:

28 Days Later was half of a really good horror movie followed by a half of a really mediocre action movie. The sequel was primarily a sequel to the mediocre second half.

Jeepers Creepers gets a pass from me because even though it was retarded, they at least paid attention to things like pacing.

Scream worked great as both a tribute and mockery of genre cliches which is why the first Scream movie was good, and the sequels were roundly terrible.

The Saw movies have turned into complete parodies of themselves, since at this point trying to write all those stories together so that they make sense is completely ridiculous.

But really, I know I personally would much rather watch a horror movie that actually scares me than watch one that just startles me a whole bunch, which is what most slasher flicks rely on. That's why A Nightmare on Elm Street is infinitely superior, IMO, to anything Jason's ever been involved in.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

lots to respond to. In no particular order:

28 Days Later was half of a really good horror movie followed by a half of a really mediocre action movie. The sequel was primarily a sequel to the mediocre second half.

Jeepers Creepers gets a pass from me because even though it was retarded, they at least paid attention to things like pacing.

Scream worked great as both a tribute and mockery of genre cliches which is why the first Scream movie was good, and the sequels were roundly terrible.

The Saw movies have turned into complete parodies of themselves, since at this point trying to write all those stories together so that they make sense is completely ridiculous.

But really, I know I personally would much rather watch a horror movie that actually scares me than watch one that just startles me a whole bunch, which is what most slasher flicks rely on. That's why A Nightmare on Elm Street is infinitely superior, IMO, to anything Jason's ever been involved in.

i enjoyed the first 2 saw movies, and the 3rd one was decent. Agree 100% on Scream.

The only thing i really like about the Nightmare series is that Freddy has a personality, which is rare in the horror genre. I prefer the best Jason movies over the best Freddy movies.

Jeepers Creepers gets no pass from me, truly terrible.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Good:

"The Strangers"

"Candyman"

"The Mist"

"The Ring"

Bad

"Jeepers Creepers"Filmed partly in lake county, well paced (as noted above) and creepy up until the antagonist is revealed to have wings and can fly. Turn the movie off before that happens and you can daydream the rest to your own liking.

"Friday the 13th"The first three original movies were decent. After that, complete crap. Maybe number 5 wasn't bad either, I don't remember off hand.

"I Know What You Did.."

Anything Rob Zombie touchesHis Halloween remake was pretty good, but "House of 1000 Corpses" and "Devils Rejects" were stellar. Remember, he is a huge fan of old school B horror films, so that's what he started out to make. The scene from "Corpses" where his real life wife is chasing the girl through the field while laughing maniacally is disturbing as all hell.

Then, there is an entire different category for movies like "Hostel" "Saw" and "Touristas."

Actually, that last one scared me....that climax in the water caves [shiver].

Zombie movies don't count, because they are all good, and if you disagree I'll eat your brains.