Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Otis' Big Mistake '09

Well I've got to argue with the Smack's financial implications. Keyon Dooling makes $3.3 million this year himself, on a 3 year contract. AJ makes $2 mil, Wilks makes just under a million. Even if you didn't sign a 3rd PG, you've saved $300k this year. But we all know they would have had to sign Wilks (or someone with a similar salary) anyways, so you've saved $1.3 mil this year.

The only reason you have to pick up Lue's $2.25 mil is because of injury, nothing Otis could have done about that. Not to mention Lue's salary is more than covered by the $2.9 mil you shipped out in Bogans. Although I'm guessing the "Cash Considerations" part of the trade was us covering their gap in salary for the rest of the year. So it's a little disingenuous to say we had to spend $6 mil on 3 backup PG's, because a) It's not true...2mil for AJ + 1 mil for Wilks + 2.25 mil for Lue is $5.25 million. B) the Lue contract at worst evens out what you're saving from Bogans, and c) even if you had Dooling, you would have had to go get someone once Nelson was hurt.

I'd also argue with the point that we could have shipped off expiring contracts mid-season next year to get under the tax. You can't trade their expiring salaries for nothing, unless you're going to bribe them with draft picks for a trade exception.

quote:
Originally posted by John the Jerk:

Between our 3 backups (AJ, Lue, and Wilkes)

We are paying $4,957,581,

I was referring to their salaries and the cash considerations we paid Milwaukee. That figure creeps closely to 6mil, but obviously 700K or whatever that number was, does not apply to our cap.

quote:
You can't pin the blame on Garrard here!!!

No matter what circumstances surrounded him, Garrard still had a QB rating of 80.1, and Leftwich was the backup for a Superbowl team that had it's fair share of QB injury concerns with Roethlisberger. But I'm not here to argue football.

quote:
Originally posted by magicmikej:

We are NOT done. We are a TEAM.

Calm down little man. Quit stomping your feet, catch your breath, and I promise the big bad man will give you back your lollipop.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

Well I've got to argue with the Smack's financial implications. Keyon Dooling makes $3.3 million this year himself, on a 3 year contract. AJ makes $2 mil, Wilks makes just under a million. Even if you didn't sign a 3rd PG, you've saved $300k this year.

Which would leave us with a competent backup while still being below the LT. Add a vet min 3rd string PG and you're still below the LT, and without the concern that nobody on our team is capable of handling the starting duites should an injury to Jameer occur.

quote:

The only reason you have to pick up Lue's $2.25 mil is because of injury, nothing Otis could have done about that.

That sounds great in theory, after the injury, and would be plausible if there weren't numerous people, even members like myself on this board, that pointed to our PG rotation as a huge weakness all season long. But the fact is, with only 2 PGs (and AJ being more of a 3rd string player) Otis rolled the dice that Jammer would stay healthy. It's too bad he lost his gamble, but that doesn't negate the fact that he was neck deep in sweat and tears while doubling down on Jameer's sustained health all season.

Well Smack, that's all based on your opinion that AJ isn't a competent backup, not the facts. I don't think the guy is a world beater by any means, but you are what your record says you are, and we were a top 4 team in the league with him as the only backup, and this year we are 6-2 with him as a starter.

quote:

Well Smack, that's all based on your opinion that AJ isn't a competent backup, not the facts. I don't think the guy is a world beater by any means, but you are what your record says you are, and we were a top 4 team in the league with him as the only backup, and this year we are 6-2 with him as a starter.

+1

quote:
Calm down little man. Quit stomping your feet, catch your breath, and I promise the big bad man will give you back your lollipop.

I appreciate the kind words but someone who claims to be the KNOW IT ALL should acknowledge the fact that they aren't always right.

Did you not last year call Otis an idiot for signing Jameer Nelson to that five year contract. The Otis Smith who couldn't talk in sentences. Yet now that Jameer is hurt both the Hawks and Heat will pass us in the standings. That is about as ludicrous of a statement that you have ever made. We still have a very good team.Hedo mans the point most of the time. We have the best center in the NBA. We have shooters around him as good as anybody in the NBA. With 32 games to go, we are going to lose an 9 and 12 game lead to the aftermentioned teams.

And you claim to know it all. Enough said- GO MAGIC.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I agree with JCritt, I was thinking more along the lines of people lamenting the fact that we didn't pick up Sessions. He wouldn't have been here long enough to 'develop'. It would have been an audition for him as far as free agency is concerned. I can only guess that the price for that audition was to high for Otis' liking.

If I were in Otis' shoes and there was an opportunity to acquire a half year rental at PG while dumping a contract like Battie's, I would view that as a win-win. However I realize Tony is untouchable in Otis' eyes for some reason.

I don't profess to know what was out there beyond the Crittenton/Atkins/Lue type deals that Otis' has actually explored this season but I also believe it would be accurate to label Gortat a half year rental from this point & it's possible we could have exchanged half year rentals. I realize he enjoys a cult like following on this board, but it's going to be a major upset if he's back with the Magic next year.

I'm not knocking Otis just to knock him, but I find it odd that he claims Nelson's injury provides an opportunity to address the backup PG beyond this season, and then turns immediately around and accepts a deal that's essentially been on the table since December.

quote:
No matter what circumstances surrounded him, Garrard still had a QB rating of 80.1, and Leftwich was the backup for a Superbowl team that had it's fair share of QB injury concerns with Roethlisberger. But I'm not here to argue football.

Don't try to make him sound like he contributed to the championship, He attempted 36 passes all year. Hell, AJ could've done that...LMAO

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

+1

The great thing about facts is that they don't lie. The truth of the matter is that we are indeed 6-2 with AJ at the helm. What gets ignored too often is the quality of opponent we have defeated when he starts; NJ, IND, MIN, IND, WAS, PHI...yep, that's a collective win percentage of .384.

Second fact, AJ is ranked 25th in the NBA among backup PGs in efficiency. I'd say that puts him in territory worthy of being 3rd string on almost any team, especially one said to be among the top 4 in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I agree with JCritt, I was thinking more along the lines of people lamenting the fact that we didn't pick up Sessions. He wouldn't have been here long enough to 'develop'. It would have been an audition for him as far as free agency is concerned. I can only guess that the price for that audition was to high for Otis' liking.

If I were in Otis' shoes and there was an opportunity to acquire a half year rental at PG while dumping a contract like Battie's, I would view that as a win-win. However I realize Tony is untouchable in Otis' eyes for some reason.

I don't profess to know what was out there beyond the Crittenton/Atkins/Lue type deals that Otis' has actually explored this season but I also believe it would be accurate to label Gortat a half year rental from this point & it's possible we could have exchanged half year rentals. I realize he enjoys a cult like following on this board, but it's going to be a major upset if he's back with the Magic next year.

I'm not knocking Otis just to knock him, but I find it odd that he claims Nelson's injury provides an opportunity to address the backup PG beyond this season, and then turns immediately around and accepts a deal that's essentially been on the table since December.

Yeah, I don't know why Otis joined the "I <3 Battie" club, but he quickly became the acting president.

I have to think, acknowledging that the Lue/Bogans deal was readily available at any time, that Otis was trying for something more helpful, but felt forced to pull the trigger on due to the injury to Nelson.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

+1

The great thing about facts is that they don't lie. The truth of the matter is that we are indeed 6-2 with AJ at the helm. What gets ignored too often is the quality of opponent we have defeated when he starts; NJ, IND, MIN, IND, WAS, PHI...yep, that's a collective win percentage of .384.

Second fact, AJ is ranked 25th in the NBA among backup PGs in efficiency. I'd say that puts him in territory worthy of being 3rd string on almost any team, especially one said to be among the top 4 in the league.

Funny, because when you look at his efficiency when he starts, he ranks around 25th among starters. But I'm not here to argue his merits with you all day. I already said I don't think he's all that great of a player. I'm just pointing out that your salary cap information is factually incorrect, and mostly based off your opinion of AJ as a player.

quote:

Funny, because when you look at his efficiency when he starts, he ranks around 25th among starters. But I'm not here to argue his merits with you all day. I already said I don't think he's all that great of a player. I'm just pointing out that your salary cap information is factually incorrect, and mostly based off your opinion of AJ as a player.

He is 105th in the league among all guards with an EFF of 6.2, which by my calculations means there are 24 backup PGs that rank ahead of him. Please provide a link or calculated proof that displays AJ's Efficiency rating as a starter.

Guard Efficiency

Also, where did I provide any cap information that is false?