Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Poll: What Should Otis Do With Turk?

Turk's current play and contract are forcing the hand of Otis. Can a team built around Turk, Lew, and Dwight win it all? That is what Otis must decide ... soon.

Given that Turk will probably want 8-10 million a year, I think we should trade him. I have waffled over this question since last summer. IMO, Turk's play this year warrants him coming off the bench ... not starting ... and not receiving a sizable pay raise. So do we keep him, give him that raise, and then possibly move him to our bench as a 6th man??? I would lean towards no. I like Turk but really question whether he is a starter on a championship caliber team. When stars, or even pseudo-stars, have off nights they are typically mad. Turk, meanwhile, drops his head and mopes or seems to just fool around. Thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Given that Turk will probably want 8-10 million a year, I think we should trade him. I have waffled over this question since last summer. IMO, Turk's play this year warrants him coming off the bench ... not starting ... and not receiving a sizable pay raise. So do we keep him, give him that raise, and then possibly move him to our bench as a 6th man??? I would lean towards no. I like Turk but really question whether he is a starter on a championship caliber team. When stars, or even pseudo-stars, have off nights they are typically mad. Turk, meanwhile, drops his head and mopes or seems to just fool around. Thoughts?

Turk isn't a superstar. He had a breakout season last year, after finally getting the minutes and some trust from his coach. He is a great role player, but not capable of being the focal point of an offense or the guy you want chucking up 20 shots even though he's missed 14 and could POSSIBLY get hot. He's just not that guy.

It annoys me to no end when Turk goes 2 for 14 and is still chucking up 3's as if he is so confident that he will turn it all around and score 20 points in the 4th. It's getting ridiculous. Pass the ball to the hot hand and find other ways to help your team. Don't just dish 1 assist and then go back to chucking up shots.

I think its safe to say we have seen the best of Turk, which was last years Turk. He did a great job of scoring from outside and slashing.

This yr's Turk reminds me of his performance of 2yrs ago, where he kept jacking up shots when he goes 1-14, instead of slashing. He still gives the ball up on errant passes.

If there was a PF who could do some of the same thing as Turk, then I would look into trades. But if there are no trades, then you let this ride out until the end of the year and reevaluate.

Jareth, that is precisely the problem. Hedo has been given the role of closer here when the majority of his career it was questioned whether or not he was even a starter. Thankfully, this is happening now before we handed him a big contract.

I honestly think we'll resign him, reason being I think that he's played his way out of that $8-10M pay range. Think about it this way, what team is going to offer that kind of money to a guy who was a borderline All-Star for one season when they can wait one year, dump a contract or two, and be players in the best FA market in NBA history?

I think Otis will tell Turk to find his market value, just like he did with Ariza two summers ago, and the Magic will sign him for considerably less than what has been projected. Just my opinion. Europe is of course the x-factor...

This is so tough to evaluate because we know what Turk is capable of. Unfortunately, it appears he has already reached his ceiling, and is now playing with the confidence that he can do no wrong.

If he can be reigned in, and his efficiency, decision making, and shooting percentage improve, I say we resign him for 8 million (not a pennt more). This way we can still use our TE, first round pick, and MLE next year to round out our roster affordably.

If he continues to play selfishly, and wrecklessly (like he's the incarnation of Michael Jordan) then I say we trade him in a package this year at the deadline for a starting calibre PF and a better option at backup PG.

I would love to see Rashard play SF for us. This year, Shard has become the player that is capable of taking over games. If he were made our 1st or 2nd option in the offense, instead of playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Dwight and Hedo, I'd be surprised if he didn't average 25ppg.

Hedo is plainly, wearing out his welcome (especially if he wants that rumored 10-12 million).

Turk is struggling right now and we probably wouldnt have lost to Toronto if he made some open ooks and didnt have 5 turnovers. We need to let him sit more and let our young guys like Lee get some more PT. Then we should either trade Turk or give him some less time until he starts hitting shots

Is Hedo possibly playing for a contract?

He seems like a player that has one thing on his mind...getting his.

It's not just the low field goal percentage prompted by bad shot selection that is of concern. It's his turnovers, the lack of ball movement, his poor shot mechanics, his turnovers, and of course his lack of focus on the defensive end that really has me worried.

I want to see Rashard at the 3. either resign Hedo cheap and bring him off the bench while signing a banger PF, or trade for a Rasheed type of higher caliber PF.