Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Hollinger Praise For Magic Defense

In reality, they're ferocious.

Orlando is third in the NBA in defensive efficiency at 98.2, more than five points better than the league average. While they've compiled those results against a soft early schedule, Orlando is far enough ahead of the No. 4 Lakers that we can reasonably expect them to maintain this lofty position even as the competition gets more difficult.

We saw a good example of the Magic's defensive power Thursday, when they completely shut San Antonio out of the paint and forced them to shoot jumpers all night (or not shoot them, in Tony Parker's case). With Dwight Howard leading the league in shot-blocking and rebounding and coach Stan Van Gundy getting the most out of the fairly average group of defenders surrounding Howard, the Magic have become an elite defensive squad.

As good as the Cavs and Celtics have been, the Magic's D might not be enough to save them from another second-round elimination. But let's not give them short shrift, either -- their stellar defensive play is worthy of far more praise. The Magic get compliments, but in my opinion, deserve higher praise.

I can't BELIEVE I just read this...OMG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=h...&page=Perdiem-081219

Orlando is third in the NBA in defensive efficiency at 98.2, more than five points better than the league average. While they've compiled those results against a soft early schedule, Orlando is far enough ahead of the No. 4 Lakers that we can reasonably expect them to maintain this lofty position even as the competition gets more difficult.

We saw a good example of the Magic's defensive power Thursday, when they completely shut San Antonio out of the paint and forced them to shoot jumpers all night (or not shoot them, in Tony Parker's case). With Dwight Howard leading the league in shot-blocking and rebounding and coach Stan Van Gundy getting the most out of the fairly average group of defenders surrounding Howard, the Magic have become an elite defensive squad.

As good as the Cavs and Celtics have been, the Magic's D might not be enough to save them from another second-round elimination. But let's not give them short shrift, either -- their stellar defensive play is worthy of far more praise. The Magic get compliments, but in my opinion, deserve higher praise.

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

i can now sleep easy. this is all i ever wanted to hear from the national media.

John Hollinger is the most unbiased "expert" that ESPN has, mainly because he bases all his opinions on 99% statistics. He is the only guy that I actually enjoy reading his insight, even if it is against the cavs.

Unlike Bill Walton, the most biased analyst ever who thinks this Celtics team is going to go 80-2. I am not kidding when I say he thinks KG should be MVP and DPOY and Rondo should be MIP. I bet he thinks Doc should when COY and Powe should win 6th man. What a homer.

Also, Rondo is probably the most overrated player in the nba. He is a product of the Celtics Big Three. I can't stand him just because of all the attention he gets.

Sorry, that was my Celtics suck rant.

quote:
Originally posted by Obawan12:

Also, Rondo is probably the most overrated player in the nba. He is a product of the Celtics Big Three. I can't stand him just because of all the attention he gets.

You take Rondo out, and put Jameer or Mo Williams in his place, Celtics would be undefeated.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

I love how he points out a "soft" schedule, yet the Cavs softest schedule in the league at the moment never gets called out once for their start.

If you have a soft schedule than you should be blowing teams out. Lets see here, is that the case with the Cavs?

If Houston shows up against the Cavs, and Miami keeps playing well, then that's 2 more losses for the Cavs.

Cavs have had an EASY schedule. Magic schedule has been a lot harder. Not to mention we have won games without Howard. Lets see the Cavs win any game without Lebron.

Cavs haven't even been out west yet. January 9 the losses will start stacking up for the Cavs. Then Lebron will not sign an extension this summer.