Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

5 Perspectives on what might (or might not) happen - SI.com

quote:
5. Here's an example. While attending a recent game at an NBA arena, a league personnel scout and I worked through a list of possible new homes for Steve Nash based on two enormous ifs: a collapse by the Suns prior to the February 2009 trade deadline, and a subsequent decision by them to cash out for the 34-year-old Nash now rather than wait until next season, when his contract will be expiring.

We had been talking about the Suns' difficulties when we naturally began wondering about Nash's future, and whether he might be made available sooner than later. "He would become the NBA's Brett Favre,'' I declared as we worked our way through the NBA standings in search for possible Nash suitors. Here is what we came up with:

i. Magic: This would be a tough deal to make, as the Suns probably wouldn't want Jameer Nelson as Nash's replacement ... but maybe they'd like Hedo Turkoglu?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thoms...untdown/?eref=sircrc

I would be happy with this trade, but if it were to happen I'll try to get Barnes too.

quote:
5. Here's an example. While attending a recent game at an NBA arena, a league personnel scout and I worked through a list of possible new homes for Steve Nash based on two enormous ifs: a collapse by the Suns prior to the February 2009 trade deadline, and a subsequent decision by them to cash out for the 34-year-old Nash now rather than wait until next season, when his contract will be expiring.

We had been talking about the Suns' difficulties when we naturally began wondering about Nash's future, and whether he might be made available sooner than later. "He would become the NBA's Brett Favre,'' I declared as we worked our way through the NBA standings in search for possible Nash suitors. Here is what we came up with:

i. Magic: This would be a tough deal to make, as the Suns probably wouldn't want Jameer Nelson as Nash's replacement ... but maybe they'd like Hedo Turkoglu?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thoms...untdown/?eref=sircrc

I would be happy with this trade, but if it were to happen I'll try to get Barnes too.

Nash is getting so old though.. that'd be a good Hedo sign-and-trade if we didn't think we could resign him.

Having Nash, Dwight, Lewis, and Jameer as our sixth man to keep Nash's back healthy and fresh would make us immediate title contenders, but only for 1-3 years.

I wouldnt. Nash's skills are on the decline. He has already gone from the undisputed top PG to somewhere between 5 and 10 in a year. I can only imagine where he will be next year. He would be an upgrade over Nelson this year, but the rate his skills are declining by next year this would look like the Devin Harris for Jason Kidd deal.

no thanks on nash...he's old and has expressed his displeasure about playing in phoenix's new system. If he only wants to play run and gun, no defense basketball, he can go to golden state or ny.

For those of you that complain about jameer's D, your heads would explode if you had to watch nash every game. He's easily the worst defensive pg inthe league. He used to be able to make up for it with his incredible play on the other end, but he can't do that anymore.

Are you guys serious???? Steve Nash a long with Dwight would be unstoppable. Dwight would be scoring up around 30 a night and Nash running the point would improve everyones game dramatically. Nash knows when to feed the post, when to get others involved, and I think he would deffinetley help the Magic. I also think it would help Jameer to play behind such a "SMART" pass first, TRUE POINT GUARD like Nash. I would be hesitant to give up Jameer but I would deffinitley give up Hedo for Nash.

nash is almost 35 yrs old, his body can't hold up for an entire season anymore. Nash thrived in dantoni's style of basketball, he wouldn't be as effective in svg's style. He's not nearly the player he used to be, i think some of you might think he's still the nash from 3-4 yrs ago. He's not even close.