Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Ewing Interested in HC Job? & There's a place for Penny in NBA

quote:
With three head coaching jobs open after Toronto's dismissal of Sam Mitchell one has to wonder if any new names will surface should the Raptors, Oklahoma City and Washington decide to look past their interim choices.

That's what Orlando assistant coach Patrick Ewing is thinking about these days.

Ewing is hoping that his five years of coaching experience and Hall of Fame career might get him at least some cursory looks by searching general managers.

Ewing has worked for Orlando, Washington and Houston, and now he's getting antsy.

"It's very hard," Ewing said. "This is my fifth year as an assistant coach and I haven't gotten an interview yet. All I can do is keep putting in the hours and let people know that I'm interested."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/07/theres...ce-for-penny-in-nba/

quote:
But here's something to think about: Would Hardaway consider coaching?

Since the league has become so guard-oriented, wouldn't it make sense for a team in developmental mode to recruit someone who always played within a team concept, was a match-up nightmare and operated with a high basketball IQ?

"There's no question he'd make a good coach," said Elliot Perry, a fellow ex-Memphis Tiger and former NBA veteran who serves as the Grizzlies' radio analyst.

"He knows things that only great guards know. Plus, he still has the ability to get out there (on the court) and do some things (in practice) if necessary. Sometimes former players see the game from a different standpoint."

I have a feeling that Ewing will get interview by a team this summer for a HC position. I think Penny should consider coaching in the college game first, start out at a small school, and work his way up a la Jeff Capel.

quote:
With three head coaching jobs open after Toronto's dismissal of Sam Mitchell one has to wonder if any new names will surface should the Raptors, Oklahoma City and Washington decide to look past their interim choices.

That's what Orlando assistant coach Patrick Ewing is thinking about these days.

Ewing is hoping that his five years of coaching experience and Hall of Fame career might get him at least some cursory looks by searching general managers.

Ewing has worked for Orlando, Washington and Houston, and now he's getting antsy.

"It's very hard," Ewing said. "This is my fifth year as an assistant coach and I haven't gotten an interview yet. All I can do is keep putting in the hours and let people know that I'm interested."

quote:
But here's something to think about: Would Hardaway consider coaching?

Since the league has become so guard-oriented, wouldn't it make sense for a team in developmental mode to recruit someone who always played within a team concept, was a match-up nightmare and operated with a high basketball IQ?

"There's no question he'd make a good coach," said Elliot Perry, a fellow ex-Memphis Tiger and former NBA veteran who serves as the Grizzlies' radio analyst.

"He knows things that only great guards know. Plus, he still has the ability to get out there (on the court) and do some things (in practice) if necessary. Sometimes former players see the game from a different standpoint."

I have a feeling that Ewing will get interview by a team this summer for a HC position. I think Penny should consider coaching in the college game first, start out at a small school, and work his way up a la Jeff Capel.

I'd hate to see him go. It seems like he works very well with Dwight. However, I hope he gets a chance to be a head coach somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

ewing would not make a could head coach imo

are you for real?

how can you mistake the word GOOD for COULD?

wow that was way off. way to go champ!

EPIC FAIL!

quote:
Originally posted by Tommaco:

quote:

are you for real?

EPIC FAIL!

wow...a message board typo!! I bet that really gets your junk twitching doesn't it? OMG YOU GUYZ HE DIDN'T PROOFREAD *heehee*. What's the only thing worse than making a typo on a message board? Being the loser that points it out! *rim shot*

I'm happy my mistake could bring so much joy to an otherwise pathetic life. I've done my good deed for the day.

NOT KILLING YOURSELF YET FAIL!!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tommaco:

quote:

are you for real?

EPIC FAIL!

wow...a message board typo!! I bet that really gets your junk twitching doesn't it? OMG YOU GUYZ HE DIDN'T PROOFREAD *heehee*. What's the only thing worse than making a typo on a message board? Being the loser that points it out! *rim shot*

I'm happy my mistake could bring so much joy to an otherwise pathetic life. I've done my good deed for the day.

NOT KILLING YOURSELF YET FAIL!!

With your excellent use of words, I'm actually surprised you're still here. Not even a warning from mods?

If he's a pathetic loser by your words, I can't even comprehend what you are in comparison.

Penny would be interesting. I'd like to see him go the assistant coach for a few years. Unlike Shaq, Penny just melted under pressure: he didn't bolt and screw us over in the process.

so, I was thinking about this a little more...a few years ago, there were rumors of us trying to get Hakeem to come in an work with Dwight, but Hakeem wasnt interested at the time in coaching and Ewing was available...I wonder if we could get Hakeem to come in now and work with Dwight should Ewing bolt...how great would that be, getting coached by Ewing and Hakeem...just spit balling