Sign in to follow this  
DustinMyselfOff

Why we should sell the farm.

What if I told you that 92% of teams that won championships over the past 25 years had something in common? What if I told you we didn't have that thing? You'd be pretty bummed right? You'd doubt that we could win a title without that thing? Would you do anything to get it? Well here it is ...

An All-Star guard.

In the past 25 years only the Houston Rockets of 93-94 and 94-95 won a championship without at least one All-Star guard, and they had 2 of the NBA's fifty greatest. Every other team had at least 1, and sometimes 2, All-Stars in the back court. Also, none of these teams has less than three combined All-Star appearances (San Antonio has 3 with Parker and Ginobli).

I like the guards we have as people and enjoy watching them as players, but we cannot and will not win anything with this team the way it is. Dwight is great and only getting better, but he can't do it alone. We need someone else.

So we should trade anyone and everyone (except Dwight) to bring in a guard. Let's get rid of the expirings, rookies, draft picks, anything anyone wants, to bring somebody in here. It doesn't even matter if it's a 1 or a 2, but we need someone who can take over a game. Someone who strikes fear into defenders. Someone who makes others better.

What if I told you that 92% of teams that won championships over the past 25 years had something in common? What if I told you we didn't have that thing? You'd be pretty bummed right? You'd doubt that we could win a title without that thing? Would you do anything to get it? Well here it is ...

An All-Star guard.

In the past 25 years only the Houston Rockets of 93-94 and 94-95 won a championship without at least one All-Star guard, and they had 2 of the NBA's fifty greatest. Every other team had at least 1, and sometimes 2, All-Stars in the back court. Also, none of these teams has less than three combined All-Star appearances (San Antonio has 3 with Parker and Ginobli).

I like the guards we have as people and enjoy watching them as players, but we cannot and will not win anything with this team the way it is. Dwight is great and only getting better, but he can't do it alone. We need someone else.

So we should trade anyone and everyone (except Dwight) to bring in a guard. Let's get rid of the expirings, rookies, draft picks, anything anyone wants, to bring somebody in here. It doesn't even matter if it's a 1 or a 2, but we need someone who can take over a game. Someone who strikes fear into defenders. Someone who makes others better.

While I disagree that we should trade EVERYONE for a guard, I reluctantly agree that with the current NBA rules, a reliable driving guard is essential. You need a guy who can drive and get fouls at the end of the game. We lack that (Jameer is solid at driving, but isn't good at finishing. Hedo is pretty poor at getting fouled.)

quote:
Originally posted by DustinMyselfOff:

An All-Star guard.

If you told me that, I'd more than likely say that you're stretching a lot of facts to make that point, since I know of at least one instance where the team had a guard who went on to be an all-star, but he was nothing resembling one at the time, and another that didn't have any guards who ever were all-stars on it(unless you count Sean Elliot as a guard for some reason). But it's ok: everyone assumes that because Ginobli and Parker were both members of the second Spurs title team, they must've both already been all-star caliber players at that point, when in reality, Parker was just decent and Ginobli barely played that year.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

An All-Star guard.

If you told me that, I'd more than likely say that you're stretching a lot of facts to make that point, since I know of at least one instance where the team had a guard who went on to be an all-star, but he was nothing resembling one at the time, and another that didn't have any guards who ever were all-stars on it(unless you count Sean Elliot as a guard for some reason). But it's ok: everyone assumes that because Ginobli and Parker were both members of the second Spurs title team, they must've both already been all-star caliber players at that point, when in reality, Parker was just decent and Ginobli barely played that year.

You're right. I did mess those up. But even if its 80 plus percent, I think my point stands.

let me use your logic against you...of all those teams, how many have had a dominant big?

i can't think of a dominant sg on the 99 spurs team...

Boston- KG

Miami- Shaq (still good at that time)

Spurs- definetly

lakers- definetly

rockets- definetly

bulls- no, but they did have the GOAT on their team so it's tough to compare

magic's lakers- yup

now, how many dominant bigs are there in the league right now? I consider duncan, garnett, howard, amare and yao as the dominant bigs right now. Point is, it's much easier to find a good wing player than it is to find a dominant big (particularly one on dwight's level).

We have the piece that many teams would die for in place. If you think trading turk, lewis, peaches, nelson, our draft picks and our bench all in an effort to get an allstar 2 guard will make us better you are mistaken. You need to put solid role players around your stars. We will lose what little depth we have and we're always one injury to our top 2 players away from being lottery bound.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

An All-Star guard.

You're right. I did mess those up. But even if its 80 plus percent, I think my point stands.

A more accurate standard might be dominant interior defense. Literally every championship team since the Showtime Lakers, if not even further back, has had a dominant interior D.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

let me use your logic against you...of all those teams, how many have had a dominant big?

Boston- KG

Spurs- definetly

lakers- definetly

rockets- definetly

magic's lakers- yup

now, how many dominant bigs are there in the league right now? I consider duncan, garnett, howard, amare and yao as the dominant bigs right now. Point is, it's much easier to find a good wing player than it is to find a dominant big (particularly one on dwight's level).

We have the piece that many teams would die for in place. If you think trading turk, lewis, peaches, nelson, our draft picks and our bench all in an effort to get an allstar 2 guard will make us better you are mistaken. You need to put solid role players around your stars. We will lose what little depth we have and we're always one injury to our top 2 players away from being lottery bound.

You're right there are few teams that have a dominant big. And the best way to win is with both a big and a guard. And that's my point. We have one dominant inside player, now we need an outside player. If we downgraded many of our spots for an all star player, I actually do think we would be better.

Everyone is an injury to their top 2 away from being lottery bound.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

Boston- KG

Spurs- definetly

lakers- definetly

rockets- definetly

magic's lakers- yup

You're right there are few teams that have a dominant big. And the best way to win is with both a big and a guard. And that's my point. We have one dominant inside player, now we need an outside player. If we downgraded many of our spots for an all star player, I actually do think we would be better.

Everyone is an injury to their top 2 away from being lottery bound.

having both is ideal, but very difficult. Kobe/Shaq had good role players, wade/shaq had good role players pierce/garnett had good role players, duncan/parker(or ginobili) had good role players.

I'm confident that in about 3 yrs there will be a lot of good players knocking down the door to play (at a discount) with dwight and shard and win a championship.

One thing we need is an owner willing to flirt with the luxury tax...someone should look and see how many teams won a championship w/ out spending over the luxury tax.

Any chance Lil Country develops into a guard that is reliable enough to be Dwight's counterpart? I would love it if Lee ended up being yet another parallel with Portland, playing as our Roy.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Any chance Lil Country develops into a guard that is reliable enough to be Dwight's counterpart? I would love it if Lee ended up being yet another parallel with Portland, playing as our Roy.

imo he'll be somewhere in the middle between dooling and Roy...closer to dooling. It's possible to pick up a player of Roy's caliber with the 22nd pick, but it's not very likely.