Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Dean

Bianchi rips Schmitz for picking Dwight over Shaq as Magic's greatest player

Hate to side with B.S. on this one and trust me it kills me. But Shaq did not win a title with Orlando. He .. the franchise worse than Grant Hill and that says a lot. Dwight has already set historical records in a Magic uniform, something Shaq never did. Shaq also had Penny. If you give Howard a in his prime Penny Hardaway, you have the best team in the NBA right now.

Penny made up for Shaq's careless turnovers and horrible free throw shooting. It was Penny's great passing that put every Magic player in a great position to score. Sure Shaq was a great player while with the Magic, no one can deny that. But he did not set any historical records with the Magic that will stand the test of time like Dwight has done.

Record #1 First player ever to start every game out of high school.

Record #2 First player ever to average a double double out of high school.

Record #3 Youngest rebounding champ ever.

As far as I am concerned, unless you win a championship your season was a failure. It was not just Shaq that got the magic to the edge. It was a complete team effort. Shaq could not even will the team one win because he was getting schooled by Hakeem. For this I have to agree with Mr. B.S.

This post was edited because of a violation of the terms of service. Please check your Private Message for more information.

I also need to add that Shaq learned one of his worst traits while a member of the Magic. He figured out that he could have a slight injury and miss a chunk of games without catching the wrath of management or the team. Dwight on the other hand goes out there ever game and wants to not only be the best center ever, but an iron man at that.

In other words, Dwight has character and Shaq is a character.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

i'm 50/50 on this myself...

and really for me personally it's Penny at #1...

I would almost agree with you. If anyone ever doubts how good Penny was they need to go see the highlights at youtube.com. Penny was out of this world great. I do not believe there has been another player like him given his size, his passing, his scoring from anywhere on the court and his finishing at the basket. I would say Penny in his prime was better than Kobe because he was an unselfish team player and would defer to Shaq and other's during the game. He was a great facilitator of the ball and made everyone better around him. It is sad about how his career ended up because I do not think he ends up having the horrible knee injury if Shaq stayed. I think his injury happened because he was having to carry the team and do too much. He never paced himself after Shaq left,, he was always out to prove everyone wrong about Shaq and always tried way too hard. He played much more reckless after Shaq and who could blame him, but I firmly believe had Shaq not left Penny would be heading to the Hall of Fame instead of the Hall of Shame.

Speaking of Penny....Check out his top 10 plays of 94-95. I want the Magic to honor him and play the #1 play from this clip on the jumbo tron in the arena. I would love to see the look on Pat Ewing's face if they did it.

And if there was any doubt how good Penny was, look at this tribute to him and watch how good he was in college. There was no Shaq effect then, he was just that good.