Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Books

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Ha... well, lets just say, Zinn offers a completely different view then what we have all be taught in school.

Sounds good...I have learned that it is sometimes a wise decision to look for alternative sources of information for anything referring to itself as fact or as history. Also, my latest blog is up, it seems you are one of my more consistent readers.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

A good book I have been reading is RedStorm by Tom Clancy that is a very good book simulation of what the possible war with Soviet Union would have been like.

I have read numerous books on military fiction, and I own, oh probably 4 or 5 Clancy books, but funny thing, I have never read any of them. The one I have always meant to read and it just hasn't happened yet is "The Hunt for Red October." Of course, I have seen all of the movies based on Clancy's character Jack Ryan.

some good books are where the red fern grows, old yeller, the count of monte cristo, and any other classics. right now, I'm reading Hannibal Rising. I'm tempted to see the movie but i'm not sure if it's worth it. reading about people getting eating is one thing, but watching it is a completely different story.

Ok, I'm bumping this thread because I gotta tell LGM that I finally bought two more of the George R.R. Martin books. I got books 3 and 4 at long last.

Now I just have to find time to read them.

If I remember right, you have read the first four and your favorite is #3, right? How many have been written so far, is 5 out yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by BNASTY89:

Anybody read any of the "Dexter" books by Jeff Lindsay?

Is it the same character as in the show on Showtime?

First of all... WOW. I've never met anybody that has heard of the show. Do you watch it? And yes it's the same character. I got hooked on the show and found out it was based on a series of books, so I went out and got the first 2 books and loved them just as much.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anybody read any of the "Dexter" books by Jeff Lindsay?

Is it the same character as in the show on Showtime?

First of all... WOW. I've never met anybody that has heard of the show. Do you watch it? And yes it's the same character. I got hooked on the show and found out it was based on a series of books, so I went out and got the first 2 books and loved them just as much.

I don't watch it. I have HBO, but not Showtime. I was given a free DVD from Circuit City or Best Buy (can't remember which) and it included two episodes of "Weeds," two episodes of "The Tudors," and two episodes of "Dexter." I enjoyed all the shows, just not enough to get Showtime in addition to HBO.

But I may have to consider going out and picking up one of the books. Who's the author?

quote:

Ok, I'm bumping this thread because I gotta tell LGM that I finally bought two more of the George R.R. Martin books. I got books 3 and 4 at long last.

Now I just have to find time to read them.

If I remember right, you have read the first four and your favorite is #3, right? How many have been written so far, is 5 out yet?

LGM, I just finished "Storm of Swords" yesterday. It took me two weeks to get through it. I must be a glutton for punishment because I immediately started "A Feast for Crows." I'm going to be pissed when I finish this one and the 5th book isn't out yet. But they are good, real good.

Dude!!! That 3rd Book was incredible!! Absolutely Genius.

The writter cut the 4th book into 2 books.

It was only suppose to be a 6 book series but he said he could finish the 4th book before his deadline so he split it up. Its now "suppose" to be a 7 book series

Then he promised that 2nd half of the 4th book (book 5) would be out by August of 2006. Well, August turned into November, then January, now he says he will no longer give a deadline. He will just finish it when he can.

Which I think is a load of crap!!!!

Now he's been rewritting alot of the book.

Here's his website.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

He's a very slow writter. This series started in the late 80's early 90's. On top of that recently he started a comic book series and all kinds of other books with series. Called "Wild Cards" and Hedge Knight. He's actually a Science fiction guy who got a really good idea for a story (this series) which is what made him famous.

All these other projects definitly dont help his writting. BUT on the VERY Bright side. He has announced that The series "A song of Ice and Fire" will be a HBO series in the next few years.

quote:

LGM...have you gone any further in the Song of Fire and Ice series? Unfortunately, I have yet to pick up the third book "Storm of Swords." If we hook up for another game, I should have you bring it.

In the meantime, what did you think of the Eragon books?

So, I went back and checked previous posts. and It looks like I missed this one.

Eragon, Well I did read both books. Story was good. Writing was terrible. It was very obvious it was written by a 15 year old. But he had a good story. That is what counts.

I'll go pick up the 3rd book when it comes out. But I dont think ill rush out to go get it.

I did however get the 7th Potter book. I thought the books 1 thru 6 were great!! Book 7 Bombed in my eyes.

Its been a while so since ive read the "Song of Ice and Fire" Series. So im having trouble remembering what happened in each book. I dont want to give away any clues so ill ask.

Whats happened with Sansa Stark?