Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Books

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

OK LOD, update Time!

Hey, I spent a week away from computers and boy was it nice! Didn't miss them a bit! I have finished the first book, A Game of Thrones and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read two other books since I finished that one. But I will start "A Clash of Kings" probably tomorrow. I was very pissed that they killed off Eddard.

yeah that was very unexpected. Book 2 was pretty good as well.

I havent been really getting a chance to read that much ive gotten about 1/3 of the way through the 4th, its pretty good so far.

well, this is an old thread, but since it started while i was away and I didn't get my chance to voice my opnion....here it is:

My favorite authors are:

WEB Griffin and Harry Turtledove. When they publish, I buy.

Griffin does WWII military history fiction (usually based on OSS, etc). He has a ton of books, but they are always good. He has several different series that he alternates publishing. Each series has 7 or 8 books in them.

Turtledove writes fantasy and alternative history. I really like his Alt Hist. books. He's got one series that has the south winning the civil war, and it progresses through WWI (which the North wins), then to WWII (currently fighting)...the US and Germany are allies with GB and the Confederacy allied. Very interesting reading.

The most resent book i've read was Dan Brown's Digital Fortress...I thought it was a good book. I read the Davinci Code and liked it. I heard the Angle's and Demons book is good too.

Elvis, I read "Guns of the South" and found it very intriguing. Haven't ventured to read any other Turtledove books, nor any of Griffin. But I read a lot of non-fiction historical books, biographies and such, and studies of the various wars and conflicts. I come from a military family, so it has always interested me.

Regarding Dan Brown, I read Digital Fortress as well as Code. Enjoyed both, but I doubt I will read any more of this guy's stuff. My guess is that this guy has used up his bag of tricks.

quote:

Elvis, I read "Guns of the South" and found it very intriguing. Haven't ventured to read any other Turtledove books, nor any of Griffin. But I read a lot of non-fiction historical books, biographies and such, and studies of the various wars and conflicts. I come from a military family, so it has always interested me.

Regarding Dan Brown, I read Digital Fortress as well as Code. Enjoyed both, but I doubt I will read any more of this guy's stuff. My guess is that this guy has used up his bag of tricks.

While "Guns of the South" was an interesting read,it was sooo far fetched to be entertaining. Turtledoves subsequent try at American history was much better. the World War (about alien invasion) and Great War (alternative US history) series were well done. I am currently reading his Day's of Infamy series about Japan invading Hawaii after Pearl harbor instead of just the attack. The first book was good.

If you like military style fiction, there is non better than Griffin.

quote:

LOD!

Ok, ok I hear you!

I am nearly halfway through the second book. All the "kings" have claimed a throne, Jon is still with the group of 200 crows beyond the Wall, Arya and the Bull are captives of Gregor Clegane, Tyrion is neck deep in his machinations, and Catelyn is still Robb's envoy to Renly Baratheon.

I'm loving it...gonna have to buy the third book soon since I only own the first two.

quote:

quote:

LOD!

Ok, ok I hear you!

I am nearly halfway through the second book. All the "kings" have claimed a throne, Jon is still with the group of 200 crows beyond the Wall, Arya and the Bull are captives of Gregor Clegane, Tyrion is neck deep in his machinations, and Catelyn is still Robb's envoy to Renly Baratheon.

I'm loving it...gonna have to buy the third book soon since I only own the first two.

oh man, its about to get really good now.

Renly Baratheon, He's a pretty funny guy

quote:

Time for My weekly update!

I have about 150 pages left of "A Clash of Kings" (out of 950 or so pages). I will likely knock it out by tonight. Things are heating up but I can tell that the author is starting to slow things down. Realizing that I have at least three books to go before this is resolved is kind of frustrating!

Where are you at with the books?

I havent found the time to read much lately I am halfway thru book 4.

Book 3 starts slow but once you get half way thru book 3, it takes off and all kinds of things start happening. Book 3 is the best by far.

Book 4 has been interesting

quote:

I havent found the time to read much lately I am halfway thru book 4.

Book 3 starts slow but once you get half way thru book 3, it takes off and all kinds of things start happening. Book 3 is the best by far.

Book 4 has been interesting

I checked out the author's website and he plans on there being 7 total books. 4 are already published and he is about halfway through book 5. Knowing that "resolution" is a long way off, I may not be in a huge hurry to run out and get the third book.