Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Clippers waive Josh Powell, Otis, time to shore up that PF Depth...

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

Dude's played for 4 different teams in 3 years. Doesn't that raise a red flag for anybody?

Powell? He just played on season with the Clipps.

Think he was talking about Elson

No, I think he meant Powell, who played for Dallas, Indiana and Golden State before the Clippers. However, that Dallas squad would be hard to make as a rookie and Golden State is not the place for defensive, tough rebounding forwards. I don't know enough about Powell to say he'd be a good pick up, but I don't think the number of teams he's played on makes him less legitimate. If we cut Auggie and sign Powell, that has to be considered an upgrade.

I have been on Josh Powell's bandwagon for a long time. In my previous posts recently and midway last season I provided these stats which for me make Powell very appealing:

" Udonis Haslem

2007-08 Statistics

PPG 12.1

RPG 9.0

APG 1.4

SPG 0.8

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.467

FT% 0.810

3P% 0.000

MPG 36.8

Powell is taller, heavier, 3 years younger and looks like he can put up Udonis type stats if given minutes?

Josh Powell's Stats

PPG 5.5

RPG 5.2

APG 0.7

SPG 0.2

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.460

FT% 0.724

3P% 0.000

MPG 19.2

If he had Udonis type minutes?

PPG 10.5

RPG 10

APG 1.3

SPG 0.4

BPG 0.8

FG% 0.460

FT% 0.724

3P% 0.000

MPG 36.8

I think he would be a solid addition. He improved tremendously last season and proved that he could be a reliable back up for both kaman and brand. He would definitely continue to develop by playing with Dwight and being coached by Patrick Ewing. "

I hope Otis sign Powell... and as far as 3rd string SF, Bogans would suffice.

PG: Nelson, ?____________, Johnson

SG: Pietrus, Lee, Reddick

SF: Turk, Bogans

PF: Lewis, Battie, Cook

CC: Howard, Gortat, Powell

All we would need is that 3rd PG.

quote:
Originally posted by brownmagic:

I think he would be a solid addition. He improved tremendously last season and proved that he could be a reliable back up for both kaman and brand. He would definitely continue to develop by playing with Dwight and being coached by Patrick Ewing. "

If he proved he could be a reliable backup for kaman and brand, why did they waive him? I don't mean to keep bagging on the guy, but it's not like the Clips really have a wealth of options in the front court, so it just makes me suspicious why they waived him. Is it that he just put up some numbers in some minutes on a bad team?

Either way, probably worth a shot for the minimum. Just hate to see people expecting the world from a guy who's been waived 3 times.

15 roster spots, not everybody is going to be All-Star caliber players. Players like Josh Powell and Andre Brown are at least capable and competitive. I'd settle for guys on the end of our bench who aren't road kill when they step on the floor.

quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa:

I hope Otis sign Powell... and as far as 3rd string SF, Bogans would suffice.

PG: Nelson, ?____________, Johnson

SG: Pietrus, Lee, Reddick

SF: Turk, Bogans

PF: Lewis, Battie, Cook

CC: Howard, Gortat, Powell

All we would need is that 3rd PG.

no way this guy can play center for this team. he's 6'9. he'd be shorter than both the PF and center (shard and turk). he'd get killed inside. on the other hand if you play him next to dwight at the 4 that might work

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

15 roster spots, not everybody is going to be All-Star caliber players. Players like Josh Powell and Andre Brown are at least capable and competitive. I'd settle for guys on the end of our bench who aren't road kill when they step on the floor.

I agree with that. I'm just saying, he's basically going to be a 3rd string PF/C. I think for that spot, I'd rather have a guy who's either a) a project-type who could pan out into a solid player, or B) a wily vet who at the very least brings something to the locker room. Powell seems like neither to me. As terrible as Foyle is, he at least seems to be a good presence and example in the locker room.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

I agree with that. I'm just saying, he's basically going to be a 3rd string PF/C. I think for that spot, I'd rather have a guy who's either a) a project-type who could pan out into a solid player, or B) a wily vet who at the very least brings something to the locker room. Powell seems like neither to me. As terrible as Foyle is, he at least seems to be a good presence and example in the locker room.

Valid point, I would just point out that PF probably more than any other position tends to produce playa's who took the long, hard road to the NBA. Some journeyman out there is next Antiono Davis, Ben Wallace, Udonis Haslem, or PJ Brown. But, even if he's the next Aaron Williams or Derek Strong, that beats James Augustin.

Right now, we need TWO front court players. I think a mix of a vet like Foyle or Ratlif combined with a young player starving to prove himself is a solid line to take.