Sign in to follow this  
In The Know

Rumors out of Sacramento: Ron Artest for Turk?

hmmm...

Might not be a bad idea to take on Kenny Thomas' 8+ million contract. It expires the year before we move into the new arena.

Can anybody think of a single reason we wouldn't pay the luxury tax that year? Me neither.

An 8+ million expiring contract might net us something nice during the 2009-2010 trade deadline.

quote:
Originally posted by iamthe_1:

Ivro89 I agree is why I said Otis needs to get the better half of the deal. No way should we take Kenny Thomas's contract. The way I see it is we have stonger bargaining power than they do unless theyre saying they are in hot negotiations with the Lakers and Otis desperatley wanting Ron-Ron like he did with Lee. (which I doubt)

I agree.. We are already doing them a favor by taking a problem player, and even worse a problem player that stated he does not want to play for his current team any longer...

We should have the upper hand in this, Because LA probably will not trade anyone of real value.. Where we can offer the Hometown favorite, coming off a Great year and winning MIP, and we could throw in a couple 2nd rounders also.. What more could Sacramento want to look good to the fans, while getting a key piece for there team to boot, if forced we could throw in rights to Franny and only one future pick.... that way they get there first rounder in the form of Franny..

Ron Artest is a top 10 player in the league.

The only reason I could see this happening is because KT expires this year. I don't know why Otis would buy the guy out. He is a PF we could use.

Otis could then go after Crittenton and see if a summer leaguer could be an insurance wing player for the league min.

If the Magic got Ron, I would expect to see Rashard playing some minutes at small forward. So the Magic would be able to rotate Lee/Pietrus/Lewis and Artest on the wings.

KT would play PF when Dwight is off the court and Battie slides to C.

In all honesty, the team would be insanely versatile. You could throw combos of Ron and then Peitrus at LBJ and Wade all game.

KT would then expire, freeing up money, and the Magic could most likely resign Ron if he wanted to stay.

Welcome to the boards man...Feel free to post. inside info or not, we all love input here!!

About your post, I do not like that trade at all..I would figure that is Sac's initial offer, because as KITNO said, Otis would have a hole in his head if he did that trade..Or even considers it.

Hedo is the MUCH safer player to have on your team over Artest..Yeah he is good, but is inconsistant and crazy to boot.Everyone knows he wants to play for NYK, so once he gets here he will be out by summer. So, if we are to trade Hedo for a player it better be one on a long term contract. A trade for Artest should be, Cook,Bogans + 1st,Second & Fran for Artest + Williams.

For both teams it is better..Sac gets 2 picks and a big man project. An expiring and a servicable big. Plus they drop Williams, who is another young player as a big who would need to have minutes behind(SAR,Moore,Thompson,Hawes,Miller,Thomas)

They trade a man who wants to leave, and Orlando gets 2 pieces. One of which makes Hedo VERY expandable for a true PF.

IDK, I just threw that off of the top of my head.. I would love Artest, but for Hedo,JJ,Bogans,Cook AND 1st...Retarded..Not to mention we take on a shi**y contract.

D-Bo Im totally with you and your love affest for Ron-Ron. We would decimate everyone with him on this team. What people dont understand on this board is really you only need 3 Superstars a good Point Guard who can distribute, breakdown defenses and dont turnover the ball, a Good to Average Big Man which we have the Greatest, a shutdown defensive guy, and the rest a mixture of good veteran role players, young smart players for the future and depth...

(Breakdown with Artest)

PG- Jameer - needs to improve game awareness such as turnovers

Anthony Johnson - good vet point guard

Critt(hopeful) - young good potential PG with size

SG- Peaches - a shutdown defender who can hit the 3 and play 3 positions

JJ (hopefully keep) could be a 6th man of the year type guy off the bench and will not hurt us with 2 lockdown guys beside him in rotations

Lee - Good Smart Young Player

SF- Ron-Ron - def head case but on the floor the Best Defensive guy and puts his heart on the floor decent offensive game

PF- Shard - Weak at PF in respect to rebounding but when you have Ron-Ron and Peaches out their who cares. He is a matchup problem for other teams while at PF look at Toronto Series vs Bosh.

C - Dwight - Best Big Man nuff said PERIOD

Bench/Roll Players

Battie- Veteran Leader always said best big man backup

Gortat- huslter and tuff minded defensive guy

Auggie- filler good 3rd or 4th string

Foyle- just to make fun of

Shoot you can even bring back Garrity just for Irish Luck lol....

quote:
Originally posted by Orlandonole:

Thanks for the post. I have been reading all the posts regarding possible trades and I have to say this ones excites me the most as a fan. I am tired of hearing we are going to build for the future, we have been doing that since Shaq left. We have a new arena opening in 2010 and we need to start winning now, and not just 50 games and being happy. Who knows what could happen to the health of our team or if the younger players ever develope beyod what they are now. NBA basketball is not like the NFL or MLB where it takes years to build a great team with drafts and farm systems. If that was the case for the NBA the Clippers would be the best team now for all the #1 picks they have had over the past 10 years.

Boston did it in one year and so did Miami and they got NBA titles. The Pistons took a chance on Wallace and it gave them a title and a run of Eastern Conference finals. Lets face it to win a championship in this league you have to take risk. Miami took on Shaq's massive contact and age along with Jason Williams (head case) and Gary Payton to win. They gave up Odom and some other assests that helped the Lakes get to the finals but did they win? Boston gave up tons of young players to get KG and Allen and then they picked up Cassel and Brown. They wanted to win now, the slow process never worked for them. The Pistons took on guys everyone thought were to old or problem childeren and won. I think to win big you have to take big risk. The Magic can remain a fine and upstanding team with a great image but that is not going to sell out an arena. We won 50+ games and did not sell out all our home games or playoff games. If they want to win they need to take a chance, ship the assests you have befoer they haev no value (Turk, JJ, Bogans, Cook) Turk is at his highest value and with teams wanting to keep money free for FA's in 09 and 10 he won't have more value than he does now. The other have expiring contracts which teams love.

If we could get Ron and then make a move for another PG then we are set. This guy when he is on is one of the best in the game. I think he could play PF better than Shard so he could go back to SF. Either way he is an upgrade from Turk and if the Magic don't want to pay Turk then we have another issue that could linger during the season. I say take a chance, go for a title now and make the fans and city love this team again. Look at the Rays I hate to say it but if they don't make the playoffs this year they will lose all teh built the past few months and may never get back that support. The same could happen to the Magic this season is a must to get to the East Finals!

Very insightful post. Well written and some of your thoughts I agree with.

What I dont agree with is the "throw caution to the wind" approach. Sure, Miami did it and won a championship. But I bet last year you could have heard an echo in their arena when the Heat stunk up the joint. Boston gave up the ghost also. Detroit built a winner piece by piece, they really didnt give up much to get Wallace and they had a good nucleus and Rasheed was just a final piece. Detroit was built to last, where the Heat and probably Boston are not.

Orlando is a transient town. On any given night (especially when were playing Boston, Cleveland, New York and others) there are more fans of those teams than ours.

That doesnt mean we cannot or dont have a fan base, but its very tough when we are one of the largest move in, move out areas in the US.

San Antonio is probably the model I would love us to emulate. They built a core (Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan) and won FOUR championships.

I like the slow and steady approach we are taking. We have a good core with Howard, Lewis and others, now its time to tweak a bit here and there and build a long lasting winner, not a flash in the pan.

I know all of us are dying for a winner, and for the first time in years we have a marketable star, and a good core to perhaps bring a ring into Orlando.

I dont mind risk, I believe like you, that sometimes you have to take a plunge. But I dont want the risk to later bite us on the a.ss and dismantle what we have built the last few years.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your posts and your insight

quote:
Originally posted by Versubio:

I'd rather keep Turkoglu and the pick. I want nothing to do with the headcase that is Ron Artest.

Ditto. What else is there to say?

I would be very upset if we lost Turk.

Well said natmayo for welcoming the new comer. Smack are you thinking what I think ur thinking about your last comment....

hmmm....

u might have of opened a new can of worms lol.

Ugh. Ron Artest is my worst nightmare...

I don't care how good of a defensive player he is, it doesn't make up for the fact that he's a headcase.

Besides...Turk,Redick,Cook, and a 1st

for Artest,Thomas, and a second?

That's a terrible deal. We trade away all of our assets to fill roster holes, and on top of that we take on a terrible contract that Sacromento's been looking to dump for years now. SOme of you guys are so desperate to win a title that you're willing to throw all your chips in on one move. This deal has a very high risk to it and I don't see Otis doing it.

If the kings are so eager to get rid of Artest, than trade him straight up for Hedo. The trade the OP has described heavily favors the kings.

WOW. I really am surprised so many of you want this guy on our team. Certainly I respect everyone's oppinion but it is shocking to me many of you would rather have Artest than Turk.

How do we have a better shot at resigning Artest than Turk?