Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

POST GAME REACTION THREAD*** BOSTON VS MAGIC

I dont know about Nelson. turning over the ball so much!...I know we won the game! (*YEAH!*)...But come on! up by more than 20 points! and then a close game like this!....Lets just hope it nothing like that happens again in the playoff!!!!

"It was unbelievable how we competed and it was fun to watch,'' Boston coach Doc Rivers said. "I told them that if the Magic want to go to the playoffs, make them earn it. We kept playing and (the Magic) were just trying to get the clock to tick away. I'm really proud of our guys. They have been an absolutely fantastic group to coach.''

"I think we kind of started thinking about the playoffs a little too early,'' said Howard

Paul Porter obviously had a huge impact on the game with those comments you guys mentioned. Of course Doc Rivers is going to want to stop his former team from going to the playoffs if you piss him off.

That was one terrible fourth quarter and I hated every minute of it, but let's be real. It is not like it has never happened in the history of the NBA, or any other sport.

Just a few games ago the best team in the east did the same thing and the Magic actually did catch up, but then lost the game.

It happens both to us and for us, so let's just move on. Maybe we learned something; maybe not, but $h** happens.

I dontknow whats all been said on this thread. its 9 pages long. but we are no where near to play in the playoffs and we are going to get embarresed as we get swept by who ever. THis team had the season on the line with a few games to go. They still had to play the Heat and the Wizzards. They needed this game like anything. lucky it worked out but the fourth quarter to let boston come back like that any good team would have ate us up. we dont have the intensity needed. no motivation which the coach can only do so much. the kids out there for our team arent mature enough yet to step it up for an extended period of time. yeah for a few games here and there but no one gives noitivation from there leadership. We are lucky to get in the playoffs since the NBA lets in too many teams. if it were a different sport they wouldnt even be mentioned for the playoffs.

sorry if i mispelled im bad at that.

Finally, a pro basketball season in Orlando has legs.

They might be as wobbly as a new-born colt's, but the Magic will step into the playoffs for the first time since 2003 and extend their court-time.

The Magic clinched a postseason spot by holding off the depleted Boston Celtics 88-86 on Sunday -- and naturally, they did it in typical maddening Magic fashion.

Meaning, they did it the hard way, against a bad team, surviving their own missteps to escape a colossal collapse before the blue-and-silver confetti fell from the Amway Arena rafters.

The Magic (38-42) secured at least the No. 8 spot in the Eastern Conference chase with their victory and a loss by the Indiana Pacers but can climb to as high as No. 6 with some help.

They would face the No. 1 Detroit Pistons in the first round starting either Saturday or Sunday as it stands now.

"It feels good," center Dwight Howard said. "It's been a long time, seemed like it, getting to the playoffs. We finally made it. It's a new season."

The Magic didn't exactly prove they could stand up to playoff pressure against, say, the Pistons, when they melted down against a young Celtics team minus Paul Pierce. They lost a 19-point fourth-quarter lead by failing to score a basket for the final 6:44 -- managing just a season-low 10 points in the period -- and committed 25 turnovers overall.

"Obviously, it wasn't the ending we would have liked to have scripted," Coach Brian Hill said, "but a win is a win."

The Magic, in a matter of 12 minutes, went from finishing a playoff sprint with their chests puffed out at the tape . . . to side-stepping a historic choke.

"They booed us, they cheered us, they booed us, they cheered us," point guard Jameer Nelson said.

Could it have gone any other way?

Actually, the Magic even managed to raise their own bar of the bizarre, considering their own crowd booed them in the last two minutes -- and that's when they had a one-point lead.

This is how unbelievably crazy it was at the end: The Magic's playoff hopes -- perhaps their season -- needed the team's worst free-throw shooter and their most pedestrian defender to come through.

With the Magic leading 87-86, Magic center Dwight Howard -- averaging a chilly 58 percent at the line -- missed three consecutive free throws before making one in the final 13.5 seconds.

Even with an 88-86 lead, the Magic needed Hedo Turkoglu -- who had just 12 blocks entering the game -- to reject two shots in the last seven seconds. He blocked Rajon Rondo's offering with 6.6 seconds left and Delonte West's shot at the buzzer to send an announced sell-out crowd home happy, relieved and surely mystified.

Turkoglu led Orlando with 20 points and three blocks while Howard had 14 rebounds and 10 points. Grant Hill and Nelson added 16 each.

The Magic informed the crowd of the Pacers' loss to the New Jersey Nets on the Jumbotron before tip-off and they built a 20-point lead.

The Magic made 10 turnovers in the fourth quarter to invite the Celtics back into the game, with Nelson committing three in a comedic flurry.

The Magic can still escape playing the Pistons and climb all the way to the No. 6 seed. Orlando would have to win its final two games against the Wizards on Tuesday in Washington, and the Heat at home on the Wednesday, and the Nets (39-41) and the Wizards (40-40) each would have to lose their last two. The Magic would win a tiebreaker over the free-falling Wizards but lose a tiebreaker to the Nets.

Brian Hill was asked before the game if he had champagne ready for a celebration. "Yeah, in my office," laughed Hill. The way this season has gone and up until its biggest moment, the coach could have used a drink.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

My god. That was the most disgraceful 4th quarter in Magic history... in NBA history. Just 10 points?!

Spurs finished with 10 pts in 4th against the mavs, same night.

quote:
Originally posted by cappa:

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

My god. That was the most disgraceful 4th quarter in Magic history... in NBA history. Just 10 points?!

Spurs finished with 10 pts in 4th against the mavs, same night.

Ya the Spurs were facing THE MAVS! We were playing the Celtics... the Celtics without Paul Pierce. And the Spurs didn't almost blow a 17 point lead. That game was close all the way through.