DLO

Duhon agrees to deal with Knicks

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan-Aussie Magic:

Keep going after Corey, show some interest in Pietrus to keep him in a back up plan....look at Shaun Livingston, he knows Dwight and may want to play here.

Look at trade options,

Bogans and Cook will expire next year

WE BETTER USE OUR EXPIRINGS THIS BLOODY TIME

This Maggette/Pietrus fantasy appears to defy reality & we have Blarrity for 2 more years. Why do you think the Lakers celebrated when they dumped him?

It will be interesting to see how many people are celebrating this when the pipe dream of Maggette & Pietrus ends & we either over pay or lose Dooling.

I think it's too soon to judge this.

Not getting Chris Duhon could either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what we actually DO do with the rest of the offseason.. but now to me it's seeming like more and more of an "all or nothing" affair.

Maggette. Pietrus. Bust.

Those are pretty much our summer outcomes at this point, and I'd be stunned if Dooling wasn't resigned now. That's all but a given.

That seems like a lot for Duhon - I hate to say it, but I see no way that Magette goes for the MLE - GS or Philly will offer him more.

I just don't see it - I know you can look at it and see it as a possibility, but really if Brand stays in LA you really think GS would not offer Maggette say $7.5 or $8 million a year to start - sure they will. Philly will also go after him if they don't get their man - he is an asset for future trades, especially at around $7.5 to $8 million to start - that maybe all they need to offer.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kite for First, as discussed on this board, the differences between Dooling and Duhon are not massive. They are both defensively minded point guards capable of scoring at times. Dooling is much better at creating his own shot but suffers in initiating the offensive sets, and Duhon is the exact opposite.

We need a PG who is a floor general/pass first/facilitator and that along with D was always the true value of Duhon. Never been crazy about his shooting percentage, but he's a very solid player.

People tend to forget, he hasn't actually even been in that role in Chicago working with such ball dominate guards like Hinrich & Gordan. I think he would have benefited tremendously by not being in such a perimeter oriented team. Disappointing, I think he would have been very good for us, and I think he'll regret playing for Datoni/NY decision at least on the court.

Agree.

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

All I can say is thank goodness n.y. came in to save us. Now lets stop screwing around otis and go get maggette, re-sign dooling, and get a pf through trade or whatever means are necessary.

Not much to say..Please Otis do what CoachT says

Marc Berman of the NY Post reports that the Knicks/Duhon-deal doesn't start at the full MLE after all.

quote:
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/07/duhon_a_knick.html

Chris Duhon celebrated his July 4th today by committing to the Knicks, agreeing to terms on a two-year, roughly $6.5 million contract, his agent Kevin Bradbury told The Post today.

With Orlando deciding against extending Duhon a formal offer until after the Magic explore the Corey Maggette situation, the Bulls backup point guard chose the Knicks, who courted him on the first day of free agency.

I think we could have easily gotten Duhon for that amount of money. I'm not saying we should't explore the "Maggette situation", but I do think that Corey is a long shot.

quote:
Originally posted by Sebi:

Marc Berman of the NY Post reports that the Knicks/Duhon-deal doesn't start at the full MLE after all.

quote:
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/07/duhon_a_knick.html

Chris Duhon celebrated his July 4th today by committing to the Knicks, agreeing to terms on a two-year, roughly $6.5 million contract, his agent Kevin Bradbury told The Post today.

With Orlando deciding against extending Duhon a formal offer until after the Magic explore the Corey Maggette situation, the Bulls backup point guard chose the Knicks, who courted him on the first day of free agency.

I think we could have easily gotten Duhon for that amount of money. I'm not saying we should't explore the "Maggette situation", but I do think that Corey is a long shot.

There are conflicting reports on this, but this seems to accurate. While many on here dreaming of Maggette speculated that pursuing Duhon was costing us a shot at Maggette, it appears to possibly be the other way around. I'm sure an opportunity to start & the NY play ground played a role, but I can't imagine how Duhon would have picked Orlando yesterday if we didn't even have a formal offer on the table at that point.

From what I've read, Maggette is the only player we've made an offer to. Which means we hung our hat on about a 10% likelihood of landing Maggette.

On this topic. Here's what I said yesterday morning:

"At this point, Otis needs to contact Rob Pelinka and get a commitment from Maggette's camp that if the MLE is their best offer, that Maggette will definitely sign with the Magic. At this point, it shouldn't be difficult for Maggette to answer that question. If Otis can't get an answer, than he should move on.

The worst possible situation has the Magic waiting for the Maggette situation to play out, and then when it does, if Maggette chooses another team, then the Magic are left to bid on the 2nd tier free agents with every other contender that has an MLE to offer.

Personally, I'd prefer if Otis went out right now, and locked up the guy(s) that we would be interested in if Maggette wasn't an option. That way we've taken the competition out of the equation."

Little did I know, that the worst possible situation has the Magic waiting and waiting for Maggette to figure things out while other teams scoop up the 2nd tier free agents.

looks like another missed opportunity to upgrade our pg problem. this organization is clueless. i hate to put it on otis for it is my belief that he is just a mouth piece for others. this is going to cost us the chance to improve any position. please do something. jacklj