Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

Official 2013 Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League Thread

What players do you believe regressed during the course of last season?

Don't say "the whole team". What specific people? I'm legitimately curious.

Team started off with a nearly .500 record and was very strong on defense. Granted there were injuries but from the record alone it's clear the team got worse as the season progressed.

Also I cannot stress this enough. We want to be bad this year. There are 2 franchise guys in this draft and 7-8 potential all stars. From top to bottom this could be one of the best talent drafts of all time.

Strongly disagree with this.

Team needs to be showing improvement every year. There should be milestones for improvement set and hopefully reached. Otherwise you develop a culture of losing that is very hard to break. Not worth the risk.

Some of the strongest Magic supporters on this board may not care if it takes 3-7 years to build the team back up to respectability. But the team will lose support from everyone else. How long will the Magic stay in Orlando with an empty arena and low TV ratings? Again, not worth the risk.

Easier to take it seriously when several of your projected starters are playing and you're still getting beaten by journeymen from other teams.

Certainly agree with the guy who said our coaching is unproven at best. Have pointed out in prior posts that team regressed during the course of last season. People have posted a variety of explanations for that but it's certainly not a ringing endorsement of the current coaching crew.

The only potential starters who played were Oladipo and Harkless. That's not several, its two

The only potential starters who played were Oladipo and Harkless. That's not several, its two

You're right. It's two starters and several others who would potentially be regular subs. Still should be showing decently in summer league given the composition of the other teams.

Unless people feel we need to get in some tanking practice during the summer.

Team started off with a nearly .500 record and was very strong on defense. Granted there were injuries but from the record alone it's clear the team got worse as the season progressed.

You didn't answer the question. Who regressed? You can't use our record as an indicator of regression when two of our youngest players (Harkless and Vucevic) clearly improved as the year went on and Davis, Nelson, and Afflalo all missed a significant amount of games, particularly in the 2nd half. It's like saying Derrick Rose didn't show the same level of athleticism last season.

How long will the Magic stay in Orlando with an empty arena and low TV ratings?

Well, they signed a 25 year lease in 2007, so I'd say that they'll stay until at least 2032.

And you never answered my question about who regressed. In fact, you avoided in the exact way I very specifically asked you not to.

You didn't answer the question. Who regressed? You can't use our record as an indicator of regression when two of our youngest players (Harkless and Vucevic) clearly improved as the year went on and Davis, Nelson, and Afflalo all missed a significant amount of games, particularly in the 2nd half.

Again, I didn't say players regressed individually. I said that the team as a whole regressed. Granted there were injury issues. But even with a team full of young athletic players, our defense was markedly worse as the season progressed. And our record reflected that.

Well, they signed a 25 year lease in 2007, so I'd say that they'll stay until at least 2032.

And you never answered my question about who regressed. In fact, you avoided in the exact way I very specifically asked you not to.

I didn't answer your question because your question is not relevant to my original post.

I doubt the lease by itself will keep them there if they're losing a fortune and they get better offers elsewhere.

I didn't answer your question because your question is not relevant to my original post.

I doubt the lease by itself will keep them there if they're losing a fortune and they get better offers elsewhere.

I'm seriously wondering what you think a lease IS if you think the Magic can just leave because they feel like it. They can't. Literally, they signed a contract with the city. They'd be sued 6 ways from Sunday if they tried, and the league would never allow them to violate the lease like that because if they did, every other NBA city would throw a ****-fit about it.

And my question very much WAS relevant to your post, because you're making a sweeping statement while providing nothing to back it up AND simultaneously dismissing any and all points made to suggest your conclusion was faulty.

Asking you to clarify your position with specifics is like, the single most relevant thing anyone could have done. If you aren't willing to do even that tiny bit of work on a discussion forum, then why the holy hell are you even here?

Again, I didn't say players regressed individually. I said that the team as a whole regressed. Granted there were injury issues. But even with a team full of young athletic players, our defense was markedly worse as the season progressed. And our record reflected that.

Our record does not reflect regression, it reflects injuries to several (see how I did that) key veteran players, lack of depth, and youth. To ignore that, or minimize it in order to defend your point, is kind of silly. All the young guys improved as the year went on, aside from maybe E'Twaun Moore who should never, ever, play PG.

• Upvote 1

I'm seriously wondering what you think a lease IS if you think the Magic can just leave because they feel like it. They can't. Literally, they signed a contract with the city. They'd be sued 6 ways from Sunday if they tried, and the league would never allow them to violate the lease like that because if they did, every other NBA city would throw a ****-fit about it.

And my question very much WAS relevant to your post, because you're making a sweeping statement while providing nothing to back it up AND simultaneously dismissing any and all points made to suggest your conclusion was faulty.

Asking you to clarify your position with specifics is like, the single most relevant thing anyone could have done. If you aren't willing to do even that tiny bit of work on a discussion forum, then why the holy hell are you even here?

Your changing every disagreement into a personal attack thread is really tiresome. But I guess you provide some comic relief for everyone.

You have never heard of buying out a lease or buying out a contract, I guess.

Our record does not reflect regression, it reflects injuries to several (see how I did that) key veteran players, lack of depth, and youth. To ignore that, or minimize it in order to defend your point, is kind of silly. All the young guys improved as the year went on, aside from maybe E'Twaun Moore who should never, ever, play PG.

It's a fair point. However, some teams seem to manage to overcome injuries. And what's really concerning to me is how our defense continued to worsen during the course of the season.

I didn't see more consistent play as the season progressed at either end of the floor from any of our young guys (we can leave Harris/Lamb out, since they were with the team a relatively short time).

Why do you think they improved?