Sign in to follow this  
centaur27

Article regarding Redick's playing time after draft

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12: bogans and evans aren't doing the job on D anyway so why not go with the offensive player.

I just want to make a quick point. I did some checking and since the year 2000 every team that won an NBA Championship was also a top ranked defensive team or at least in the top 3.

This year we hovered around 12, 13 or 14 in team defense statistically. How would going with your offensive minded player at shooting guard help us improve defensively? Especially when our offense is top 5 in the league right now.

If you have good team defense you can protect a poor defender. The problem is our team defense is horrendous. Our rotations suck, our help sucked, everything was bad. Look at Boston, Pierce and Allen were never considered great defenders but they bought into a system and a mindset and Boston had one of the best defenses in years.

You defense starts with the PG, and Jameer allowed penetration to just about everyone. I'm not trying to bash Jameer, I honestly like the guy, but if Stan is so focused on D, maybe his frist concern should be a PG.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12: bogans and evans aren't doing the job on D anyway so why not go with the offensive player.

I just want to make a quick point. I did some checking and since the year 2000 every team that won an NBA Championship was also a top ranked defensive team or at least in the top 3.

This year we hovered around 12, 13 or 14 in team defense statistically. How would going with your offensive minded player at shooting guard help us improve defensively? Especially when our offense is top 5 in the league right now.

bogans and evans are the bums that caused poor defense not jj.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12:

quote:

quote:

bogans and evans are the bums that caused poor defense not jj.

So, if SVG wants defense at that position, and you assume that JJ is a MUCH better shooter, then you can only imagine how abysmal his D must be that he can't get off the bench and earn some playing time.

quote:

so jj doesn't play b/c the guys infront of him are bad defenders?

JJ doesn't get playing time because the difference between his defense and theirs far outweighs any advantage of his offense over their offense.

quote:

if courtney lee is going to be the answer then the magic are in trouble. lee isn't any better than evans or bogans, and neither has the possible ceiling of jj.

JJ has a ceiling? I always figured he slept without a roof over his head. As much pissing and moaning as he does, one would assume he didn't get paid to sit the bench.

jj doesn't play his position because he's undersized as a sg, and if we have an undersised pg as well then we're not doign too well especially on switch offs. if jameer was 6'3 instead of 5'11 then i think we'd see more of jj on the floor.

I'm getting the idea that JJ and Dwight aren't the best of friends. JJ would have been more stronger at his position if Dwight gave him some of the Dwight juice or at least gave him some pointers on getting bigger. JJ Redick had a freaking video on shooting and he can't show are big guy, Dwight, to shoot in his tapes. Talk about bad team chemistry.

JJ won't get anything he wants unless he owns everyone in front of him for the spot at the top.