Sign in to follow this  
EnFuego

Euro 2008 - Best Soccer Tournament Ever

I have followed Major international Soccer events for over 20 years (Mexico '86) and I have never seen a more entertaining tournament ever. And this is being said only two games into the quarterfinals!

Just the last two games played by Turkey, alone would make this a great tournament. My God, losing 2 - 0 against the Czechs with 15 minutes to go and scoring three goals, two of them with less than 5 minutes of regular time.

Today's game was even more improbable, missing their regular goal keeper, they manage to keep the game scoreless through 117 minutes, go down one with less than a minute to go, tie the game on the last play and win on penalties. Hedo must must have lost his voice.

I'm a Spanish fan and they have played great. This tournament has been incredible.

It has been a great tournament so far. Listening to the Turkish v Croatia quarter final last night, what a crazy crazy end.

As your a Spanish fan I'll let you know that they have been my tip from the beginning. Big game against the Italians, though.

If only American soccer could bring in talent...

I love watching the Euros, the Premiership, and the world cup, but I can't bring myself to watch MLS games.

I'm pleased with Football over here. Since our inception to the World Cup of 2006, we've really grasped the game and the respect the game deserves has been granted by the Australian public. Its been an uphill battle for this form of football to compete with local sports, but its risen and risen nicely. The star talent isn't here, but the quality of competition has risen dramatically in a short space of time.

As for the MLS, if you keep waiving the money ala Beckham, you may not have a problem, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr:

I'm pleased with Football over here. Since our inception to the World Cup of 2006, we've really grasped the game and the respect the game deserves has been granted by the Australian public. Its been an uphill battle for this form of football to compete with local sports, but its risen and risen nicely. The star talent isn't here, but the quality of competition has risen dramatically in a short space of time.

As for the MLS, if you keep waiving the money ala Beckham, you may not have a problem, lol.

You guys had Guus Hiddink too. The guy finds a way to get teams to overachieve. I thought the Dutch we're going to win it all.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

I'm a Spanish fan and they have played great. This tournament has been incredible.

I'll be cheering on Spain tomorrow against Italy, I hope you guys can shake off the tag of being under achievers in major tournaments.

Agreed, it's been a great tournament. Russia looked pretty impressive tonight as well.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by nbr:

You guys had Guus Hiddink too. The guy finds a way to get teams to overachieve. I thought the Dutch we're going to win it all.

Yeah we did. He had an amazing run with our guys and exceeded expectations, a common theme it seems, lol.

As for Russia, WOW. They looked very good against the Swedes in the game prior. Since the arrival of Arshavin theres been a different dynamic. I liked the Netherlands, but not to a point that they would see out the tournament.

Still I'm sticking with my team from the very beginning, Spain. Big one tonight.

quote:
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout:

Conratulations En Fuego !! First time in 88 years Spain have beaten Italy in a major tournament, they played the better football by far.

Thanks. I was convinced that Spain had to win it in the field and that if it went to penalties, Italy would find a way to win it.

It was great to see Spain prevail in penalties. Regardless of who's playing, I never like the team that plays with the intention to go to penalties, to win in penalties, so in that respect, Spain was rewarded.

Not a classic game in any sense, but I will take the win.

Now comes Russia, forget the first game, Andrei Arshavin did not play and that changes everything.

I'm happy no one mentioned France here. 90% of people here (Europe) hate them. I'm one of them.

Those guys are pretty sure that they're the best team ever since they won the world cup in 1998. They are pretty sure that Zinedine Zidane is the best player ever. I think they never heard about Pele, Cruijf, Best, Di Stefano...

I'm so happy that they didn't manage to qualify for the second round. Thank God!

unfortunately greece were eliminated in the first round. we couldn't keep our european title.

i have enjoyed all of the matches for the semi finals. great games for croatia and turkey, holland and russia.

i see turkey and/or russia going far.