Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

When will Howard be the guy?

Dwight Howard just isn't good enough yet to be the offensive go-to guy the Orlando Magic need to win games in a playoff race -- and may never be -- if you ask Minnesota veteran Kevin Garnett.

Garnett, the 10-time all-star now in his 12th season, has heard all the hype about Howard -- and he was part of it earlier this season -- but he sounded unimpressed after his Timberwolves beat the Magic in overtime Sunday night, even offering a little advice on his way out of town.

Defensive breakdowns and a glaring inability to create decent scoring chances in late-game situations led directly to the Magic's disappointing loss.

Howard, now in his third season, had a game-high 19 rebounds, but he had just eight points, the fifth consecutive game in which he failed to score more than 12 points. He was invisible offensively down the stretch, except when he grabbed an offensive rebound and dunked.

"We're going to see now just what type of player Dwight wants to be, and where he sees himself in this league," Garnett said. "He's going to have to do his homework. He's going to have to evolve his game."

Although Howard is clearly their best player, his penchant for turnovers and an inability to hit free throws, has caused the Magic to look elsewhere in late-game situations.

And that was a disaster Sunday. Keyon Dooling, who played well earlier in the fourth quarter, struggled to start the offense and failed to get a decent shot twice when the Magic were trying to protect a lead late in regulation.

Grant Hill, who no longer has the lift in his legs he once did, had his shot blocked by unheralded Marko Jaric in the closing minute. Jameer Nelson, who replaced Dooling in the closing seconds, missed twice in the final four seconds of regulation, then missed again with :01.9 remaining in overtime when Garnett blocked his shot.

Howard, meanwhile, was nowhere to be found offensively, which is what caught Garnet's attention after the game. The Timberwolves double teamed him throughout the game, effectively stopping him. Garnett and Howard exchanged unpleasantries at least once during the game, and had to be chastised by official Jess Kersey, who warned against any escalation.

In a victory earlier this season, Howard had 21 points and 22 rebounds against Minnesota. The Wolves didn't double team him the first time like they did Sunday.

"I know what it's like to deal with double teams. Being a dominant player, you have to figure how to break them. He [Howard] has to have other aspects of his game to go to," Garnett said. "There are ways to make others around you better. He has to attack defenses differently."

The Magic (34-40) return to action Wednesday night at home against the Toronto Raptors, a team that already has beaten them three times. And twice, Raptors center/forward Chris Bosh outplayed Howard. Bosh sat out the third victory.

Earlier this season, Howard was almost unstoppable offensively. He had four games of at least 20 points and 20 rebounds. He has scored 30 or more four times. He had 30 points and 15 rebounds in a victory over Utah March 14, but that was his last big offensive game.

"I'm just trying to do other things now,'' he said last week. "If I'm not making free throws, you play better defense.''

Nelson, meanwhile, said his lack of recent success will not deter him from wanting the big shot. He failed in recent overtime losses to Boston and Minnesota. But he hit the big, late-game shots to win games against New York, San Antonio and much earlier against Sacramento.

"The next game, if I have to take the last second shot, I'll do it again," he said. "I like that situation. If I get the next one, I'm going to take the next one."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

Dwight Howard just isn't good enough yet to be the offensive go-to guy the Orlando Magic need to win games in a playoff race -- and may never be -- if you ask Minnesota veteran Kevin Garnett.

Garnett, the 10-time all-star now in his 12th season, has heard all the hype about Howard -- and he was part of it earlier this season -- but he sounded unimpressed after his Timberwolves beat the Magic in overtime Sunday night, even offering a little advice on his way out of town.

Defensive breakdowns and a glaring inability to create decent scoring chances in late-game situations led directly to the Magic's disappointing loss.

Howard, now in his third season, had a game-high 19 rebounds, but he had just eight points, the fifth consecutive game in which he failed to score more than 12 points. He was invisible offensively down the stretch, except when he grabbed an offensive rebound and dunked.

"We're going to see now just what type of player Dwight wants to be, and where he sees himself in this league," Garnett said. "He's going to have to do his homework. He's going to have to evolve his game."

Although Howard is clearly their best player, his penchant for turnovers and an inability to hit free throws, has caused the Magic to look elsewhere in late-game situations.

And that was a disaster Sunday. Keyon Dooling, who played well earlier in the fourth quarter, struggled to start the offense and failed to get a decent shot twice when the Magic were trying to protect a lead late in regulation.

Grant Hill, who no longer has the lift in his legs he once did, had his shot blocked by unheralded Marko Jaric in the closing minute. Jameer Nelson, who replaced Dooling in the closing seconds, missed twice in the final four seconds of regulation, then missed again with :01.9 remaining in overtime when Garnett blocked his shot.

Howard, meanwhile, was nowhere to be found offensively, which is what caught Garnet's attention after the game. The Timberwolves double teamed him throughout the game, effectively stopping him. Garnett and Howard exchanged unpleasantries at least once during the game, and had to be chastised by official Jess Kersey, who warned against any escalation.

In a victory earlier this season, Howard had 21 points and 22 rebounds against Minnesota. The Wolves didn't double team him the first time like they did Sunday.

"I know what it's like to deal with double teams. Being a dominant player, you have to figure how to break them. He [Howard] has to have other aspects of his game to go to," Garnett said. "There are ways to make others around you better. He has to attack defenses differently."

The Magic (34-40) return to action Wednesday night at home against the Toronto Raptors, a team that already has beaten them three times. And twice, Raptors center/forward Chris Bosh outplayed Howard. Bosh sat out the third victory.

Earlier this season, Howard was almost unstoppable offensively. He had four games of at least 20 points and 20 rebounds. He has scored 30 or more four times. He had 30 points and 15 rebounds in a victory over Utah March 14, but that was his last big offensive game.

"I'm just trying to do other things now,'' he said last week. "If I'm not making free throws, you play better defense.''

Nelson, meanwhile, said his lack of recent success will not deter him from wanting the big shot. He failed in recent overtime losses to Boston and Minnesota. But he hit the big, late-game shots to win games against New York, San Antonio and much earlier against Sacramento.

"The next game, if I have to take the last second shot, I'll do it again," he said. "I like that situation. If I get the next one, I'm going to take the next one."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic