Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

We didn't get Thomas because Otis wouldn't trade Carlos(Sentinel)

It really hit me and I imagine Arroyo when Otis from his own words said: "Why trade Arroyo to another team so he can be a third string PG there when he can be a 3rd string PG here"

That's like a nuclear bomb exploding in front of you. I really hate Otis... really do!.

quote:
Originally posted by THEREALTRUTH:

What is happening right now is very simple. SV received the order from Mr. Otis to play J.Nelson only to justified the 35Millions and not to be ended like a stupis error decided by him. Mr. Otis know the mistake he made by giving that amount to J.Nelson and he is trying to hide that stupid move. You know and everybody knows that CA is not a player to be in the bench for that long period without playing at least a minute. Who can explain the situation of CA starting in 10 games and the winning record was 8-2 and later not play at least a minute? Otis is trying to cover his bad moves. I love J.Nelson but how you give 35Million to a player that is not going to impact the League. Do you think that you can make the same offer to Hedo? Did you know the domino reaction that could exist with other players like Evans, Cook, Hedo or Bogans? Mr. Otis you make a big mistake and that it is. But dont make more mistake that could be make us to be out of the post-season. Just let them play the game. Please. Please.

The explination is simple, and (gasps) it doesn't even rquire a subscription to conspiracies weekly.

Neither Nelson nor Arroyo are as effective defensively against other PG's as Dooling. As far as running the team, offensively, they are pretty much on par with one another. Both can play within their game and be somewhat effective.

Unfortunately, we need a little defense at the position as well. Again, and unfortunately, both Carlos and Jameer seem to play better when they play a little more consistent minutes. When SVG was splitting the PG duties between all three (Nelson, Arroyo, Dooling), our guys couldnt get into their regular flow. SVG decided the answer was to take one of the three out of the rotation.

Nelson and Arroyo bring similar things to the table, Dooling beings his defense and energy. The choice was made to bring Dooling in as the back up, this also helped clear up the SG position somewhat. With Dooling playing the backup PG spot, SVG is left to pick between Nelson and Carlos as the starters.

What's that you say? Carlos and Jameer are not even talent wise? Carlos is much much (mucho?) better than Jameer? Well my friend, lets look at this under the assumption that you are correct.

Carlos is by far a better PG than Jameer. Otis signed Jameer to a 5 year 35 million dollar contract. Now, in order to make himself look good, Otis commands SVG to sit Arroyo in favor of Nelson.

Have we forgotten the fact that Otis was the guy that brought Arroyo to the Magic? Arroyo playing well only makes his trade to Detroit look better and better.

This logic of Otis making SVG sit Arroyo (and redick who somehow gets pulled into this argument time after time [thanks Cyndi]) to make himself look better is absolutely redickulous.

First off, under the assumption that Carlos is a better PG, then this is actually hurting the team. Otis is in charge of building the team, and the better the team performs, the better Otis looks. Therefore, sitting a quality PG in lieu of a substandard PG for the simple reason of making your contract offer look like a good move is counterintuitive. It doesn't make sense.

Second, Otis is the GM, SVG is the coach, and while I am sure they talk quite often, I doubt they are telling each other how to do their jobs. Sure, you could say that Otis is in charge of hiring the coach, and could theoretically tell SVG to sit Carlos or be fired, but with the results SVG has been getting from this team, do you honestly beleive that to be happening?

Lastly, and perhaps most damaging to your theory, is the fact that signing Nelson to a 5 year 35 million dollar contract only to see him outplayed by Carlos Arroyo on a nightly basis pales in comparison to signing Rashard to a max contract only to see him 'out played' by Hedo. By your theory, Otis would demand that SVG bench Hedo to make his Lewis signing look better.

Next, lets assume Nelson is much better than Carlos. Well, this wont take long to discuss because it would result in Nelson starting, Dooling playing backup because of defense, and Carlos left to play when Jameer gets hurt or falls into a lengthy slump. Sound familar?

As I said earlier, playing within their games, both run the offense well enough for the most part. So, for the sake of argument, lets say they are dead even in terms of talent (the most likely scenario in my opinion). This leaves out any sort of argument about who SVG thinks is the better player, the better fit for the way he wants to run the team.

Now, all other things being equal, is it more likely that Otis calls up Stan and says 'Hey big guy... I want you to sit Carlos and Play Jameer to make me look good. They are pretty much the same cat anyway.', or is it more likely that SVG decides to go with the PG that is locked up for the future (regardless of price) to build on team chemistry?

There is a chance Carlos is not on the team after this year. This is a fact. All things being equal, would you not rather play the PG that you know (barring trades) will be here for the next 5 years, or would you prefer to start your unkown (as far as being re-signed), spend a year building chemistry between your PG and the rest of the squad, only to see him leave to free agency over the summer and have to start building that chemistry all over again? Not to mention the fact that Nelson is younger and theoretically has more potential than a guy like Arroyo who has been in the league much longer and is widely assumed to be playing at his peak (barring any sort of Hedo year).