Sign in to follow this  
Faux Hawk

If you knew these facts what would you do as a GM???

If you knew the following things would be true what would you do as the GM of the Magic???

1)Tony Battie would be cleared to play by the end of March and be in great shape for the Playoffs and contribute just like last season.

2)Your current players with expiring deals will all test the free agent market and you may be only able to keep one of them, possibly two.

3)You find out before the trade deadline that there is a 90% chance Fran will come over this summer and join the Magic.

4)The RDV family has given you the green light to make any trade you want regardless of how the incoming salaries would effect a possible luxury tax payment.

5) The best players available to trade for are Kidd, Bibby, Wilcox, Haslem, Charlie V., Mike Miller & Darko. However to trade for any of these players you will have to give up JJ & the 2008 first round pick.

6)You are only allowed to make 1 trade AND YOU CAN NOT TRADE ANY CURRENT STARTERS (Nelson,Evans,Hedo,Lewis,Howard).

What would you do?

If you knew the following things would be true what would you do as the GM of the Magic???

1)Tony Battie would be cleared to play by the end of March and be in great shape for the Playoffs and contribute just like last season.

2)Your current players with expiring deals will all test the free agent market and you may be only able to keep one of them, possibly two.

3)You find out before the trade deadline that there is a 90% chance Fran will come over this summer and join the Magic.

4)The RDV family has given you the green light to make any trade you want regardless of how the incoming salaries would effect a possible luxury tax payment.

5) The best players available to trade for are Kidd, Bibby, Wilcox, Haslem, Charlie V., Mike Miller & Darko. However to trade for any of these players you will have to give up JJ & the 2008 first round pick.

6)You are only allowed to make 1 trade AND YOU CAN NOT TRADE ANY CURRENT STARTERS (Nelson,Evans,Hedo,Lewis,Howard).

What would you do?

I will start and answer my own thread...

I guess Battie coming back it is a real possibility since the Magic cut Outlaw instead of making Battie inactive for the year. As I understand it, when they traded for Cook & Evans they had a choice to make. They either make Battie ineligible for the remainder of the season or they cut a player to make room for the two coming in. Since they cut the fan favorite Outlaw and still had to pay him, I have to assume there is a very good chance Battie comes back before the end of March. Add Fran's arrival this summer and I find it hard to justify trading for a Power Forward based on having to give up JJ and a pick.

However, I do not like the possibility of having to have 4 free agents and not being able to focus on one or two this summer exclusively. I feel if I do not trade the ones I feel are less likely to stay here then I may end up losing the ones I really want to keep. Because of this I have to make the effort to trade Garrity & Carlos. My choice in this order to resign would be Evans then Dooling.

After thinking about all of this, I have to conclude that the best move for this Magic team if I really want them to have a chance to make the finals is to go after Jason Kidd. He is almost strong arming the Nets in to trading him. with everything in the press made public by him and his agent it has to be pretty bad for Rod Thorn. Then add on top of that that the main team that was once interested (Dallas) has all but squashed that possibility. It would lead me to believe that Kidd may end up being the best bargain.

Also Kidd is a proven winner and was able to take a poor Nets team to the finals TWICE. In my opinion with Kidd on this Magic team, the Magic are almost twice as good as any team Kidd took to the finals. Plus having Kidd and Howard together with the Magic and in the Olympics this summer can only bode well for the future. If they did not win it all tis year, you know Kidd would come back evxra hungry and doing everything he could to attract freee agents for cheap. Plus Jameer can learn from one of the best point guard of the last generation and hopefully develop like Marcus Williams has under Kidd.

To get Kidd I would offer: 2008 Pick, Garrity, JJ, Dooling, Carlos & Bogans.

In return I would want: $3 million Cash, Kidd, Armstrong & Malik Allen.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...7~17~17~17&te=&cash=

This way if the Magic win it all the biggest fan favorite of all time, Armstrong, does it where he should have never left. Also I like the idea of having Kidd in front of Nelson and then when his contract expires in a couple years we sing him for cheap and give Nelson more of a starters role.