Sign in to follow this  
StufFtheMagicDragon

With Glut at Guard Spots, Magic Should Make Deal So Lewis Moves Back To SF (Schmitz)

With Glut at Guard Spots, Magic Should Make Deal So Lewis Can Move Back To Small Forward

By Brian Schmitz:

True, you don't make a deal just because the fans and media are clamoring for one.

Magic GM Otis Smith doesn't work that way.

"It has to make sense," is Smith's standard line

Smith said he's happy with the club as it is, but that's all in-the-moment GM-speak.

Because doesn't it make sense to streamline or "clean up" a roster that has three point guards (we're counting Keyon Dooling) and four shooting guards (we're counting Keyon again)?

They have enough expiring contracts to try to make a trade or two (and dusting the mothballs off Pat Garrity for a couple games piqued my curiosity; were the Magic trying to show teams who might need a shooter that Pat still was playing?)

The Magic need a true power forward, a rebounder and defender, preferably.

If they can get a starter --- hello, Kurt Thomas -- they can move Rashard Lewis back to his natural small forward spot and slide Hedo Turkoglu to shooting guard

Lewis is frustrated and can't play power forward forever, trying to defender bigger guys inside.

Turk can play shooting guard, although he'll take on quicker players defensively. But the Magic have to find some rebounding help for Dwight Howard.

I like what Maurice Evans gives them at shooting guard because he's different than the rest. He can get to the rim and finish, but he can do that coming off the bench behind Turk.

Yeah, I know the Magic are 31-19 and going good. Yes, they'd have to regroup on the fly a little. But if you want to contend and make playoff noise, you sometimes have to make changes

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/02/with-glut-at-gu.html

1-Otis talking about "it has to make sense" really?? If we list everything he's thought, said and done that reeks of no common sense and stupidity it would fill a page long.

2-We can slide Hedo to SG right now. That was the logical and obvious move to make (pointed out a long time ago by the rare few knowledgeable fans here). Too bad Stan Van Floppy has never even tried it yet.

3-Lewis is unhappy with Stan leaving him at the 4 DUH. With his production declining it's obvious the man is too worried about the defense matchups where he's always overpowered and between the fatigue and mental strain we're not getting the 110% on offense we need from him.

With Glut at Guard Spots, Magic Should Make Deal So Lewis Can Move Back To Small Forward

By Brian Schmitz:

True, you don't make a deal just because the fans and media are clamoring for one.

Magic GM Otis Smith doesn't work that way.

"It has to make sense," is Smith's standard line

Smith said he's happy with the club as it is, but that's all in-the-moment GM-speak.

Because doesn't it make sense to streamline or "clean up" a roster that has three point guards (we're counting Keyon Dooling) and four shooting guards (we're counting Keyon again)?

They have enough expiring contracts to try to make a trade or two (and dusting the mothballs off Pat Garrity for a couple games piqued my curiosity; were the Magic trying to show teams who might need a shooter that Pat still was playing?)

The Magic need a true power forward, a rebounder and defender, preferably.

If they can get a starter --- hello, Kurt Thomas -- they can move Rashard Lewis back to his natural small forward spot and slide Hedo Turkoglu to shooting guard

Lewis is frustrated and can't play power forward forever, trying to defender bigger guys inside.

Turk can play shooting guard, although he'll take on quicker players defensively. But the Magic have to find some rebounding help for Dwight Howard.

I like what Maurice Evans gives them at shooting guard because he's different than the rest. He can get to the rim and finish, but he can do that coming off the bench behind Turk.

Yeah, I know the Magic are 31-19 and going good. Yes, they'd have to regroup on the fly a little. But if you want to contend and make playoff noise, you sometimes have to make changes

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/02/with-glut-at-gu.html

1-Otis talking about "it has to make sense" really?? If we list everything he's thought, said and done that reeks of no common sense and stupidity it would fill a page long.

2-We can slide Hedo to SG right now. That was the logical and obvious move to make (pointed out a long time ago by the rare few knowledgeable fans here). Too bad Stan Van Floppy has never even tried it yet.

3-Lewis is unhappy with Stan leaving him at the 4 DUH. With his production declining it's obvious the man is too worried about the defense matchups where he's always overpowered and between the fatigue and mental strain we're not getting the 110% on offense we need from him.

Hedo can't guard sgs. If you think our defense is bad now, just wait and see how terrible it is if we made that switch.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Hedo can't guard sgs. If you think our defense is bad now, just wait and see how terrible it is if we made that switch.

that old excuse has no legs to stand on

I'd rather see a 6'10" Hedo guarding the better "ungardable" SGs that the shorter guys e have in the lineup. The cough cough "defensive stopper" Bogand and Evans all will get torched anyways. The better SG can easily shooter over them and are quicker. Might as well just have Hedo in there (who they'll have to guard).

If we have a taller lineup everything seems to work better and we've been winning more in the few instances SVG has put a bigger lineup in there.

quote:
Originally posted by StufFtheMagicDragon:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

that old excuse has no legs to stand on

I'd rather see a 6'10" Hedo guarding the better "ungardable" SGs that the shorter guys e have in the lineup. The cough cough "defensive stopper" Bogand and Evans all will get torched anyways. The better SG can easily shooter over them and are quicker. Might as well just have Hedo in there (who they'll have to guard).

If we have a taller lineup everything seems to work better and we've been winning more in the few instances SVG has put a bigger lineup in there.

What's the point of making a trade to get shard in his natural position if you're gonna turn around and then move Hedo out of position? That's pretty crazy logic to me.