Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic GM vows he won't meet Redick's trade request(Denton)

quote:
But a second year player with very limited skills? Come on.

This hurts your argument. No one in the NBA has limited skills.

NBA Math

Player + Limited Skills = Another Profession

Also One more Point

The Magic are going to do what is best for the Magic, not Redick. So if the Magic are not looking after Redick then Redick needs to look after himself. I'm not going to question whether it was right or not to ask for a trade. Thats between the Magic and Redick. Sports may be a game to us but for athletes it is their profession. There are guys that give their careers and health to sports. (of course their making more money than any of us) Organizations are about winning and achieving that goal. (they also make a huge amount of money)

In life whether its your job or buying a product you better look after yourself.

I've never had a sales person have me at one price and then say, you know I'm looking after you and I don't need to make this much profit so I'll take off another $500 of the price. As the consumer I want the best deal and the seller wants to make the most money.

There is ethics involved and people need to do the right thing. Compromise can be achieved. But players also need to look after themselves. And both sides need to do the right thing.

Hmmmm havent we seen this before? Otis gets his guy. Coach doesnt play him. Players contract comes up. Player deemed great asset to team, Otis says player is a valuable part of the club. Team really doesnt know if player can truly play because he hasnt played enough. Player leaves as free agent....see Darko....now see redick vacate the premisis.

I've basically read almost every single post on this thread. And all I'm thinking is that, this whole trade request has nothing to do with being professional or not, his college resume, or his paycheck. It's to do with JJ's passion for basketball. All he wants to do his play. I mean, he even considered the D-League a while back. And from SVG's comment about this, especially when he says that JJ is improving and working hard in practice, it seems to me that he doesn't know how to use JJ. But that's my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by synthiat:

I've basically read almost every single post on this thread. And all I'm thinking is that, this whole trade request has nothing to do with being professional or not, his college resume, or his paycheck. It's to do with JJ's passion for basketball. All he wants to do his play. I mean, he even considered the D-League a while back. And from SVG's comment about this, especially when he says that JJ is improving and working hard in practice, it seems to me that he doesn't know how to use JJ. But that's my opinion.

I agree JJ is a competitor and wants to play. But it also affects his future in the NBA by not playing. So it wouldn't say it has nothing to do with the list you mentioned.

quote:
Originally posted by the anchovie:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I've searched my memory and scoured the internet for a 2nd year player that has played limited minutes (some due to injuries), and can't for the life of me come up with any player in the past that has requested a trade like this.

Somebody please help me come up with another 2nd year player that has been as insistent as JJ that he deserves playing time with the frustration resulting in a trade demand.

Kobe, sure he can demand a trade. Kidd, sure he can demand a trade. KG, yep. TMac, yep.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

If the situation is the same down the road when should JJ's agent ask for a trade? 3rd year, 4th year, 5 year?

No one ever said asking for a trade was wrong... demanding a trade is laughable, taking your demand public is deplorable.

quote:

quote:

NBA Math

Everyone's skill level it limited. No one has 'limitless skills'. Are you saying Steve Kerr was a great all around player? Dennis Rodman was a great all around player? Pat Garrity is a great all around player? There are plenty of guys past, present, future, that are in the league because they do one thing or another particularly well, and many of them will have other things they are particularly bad at...

quote:

Also One more Point

The Magic are going to do what is best for the Magic, not Redick. So if the Magic are not looking after Redick then Redick needs to look after himself. I'm not going to question whether it was right or not to ask for a trade. Thats between the Magic and Redick. Sports may be a game to us but for athletes it is their profession. There are guys that give their careers and health to sports. (of course their making more money than any of us) Organizations are about winning and achieving that goal. (they also make a huge amount of money)

In life whether its your job or buying a product you better look after yourself.

I've never had a sales person have me at one price and then say, you know I'm looking after you and I don't need to make this much profit so I'll take off another $500 of the price. As the consumer I want the best deal and the seller wants to make the most money.

There is ethics involved and people need to do the right thing. Compromise can be achieved. But players also need to look after themselves. And both sides need to do the right thing.

In 'looking out for yourself' it's best to not burn bridges, particularly with your employer. How likely are they to want to help you, to go out of their way to do something for you if you handle yourself in a manner they find reprehensible?

Not to mention the fact that if you start acting out in the public eye, it's also a knock on you in the eyes of other Teams.

quote:
Originally posted by synthiat:

The request, sure, but the way it was handled is the point of contention.

JJ has been the best player on every team he has ever played on his entire life. He was always the star and played basically every minute. He see's his career treading water and he wants to get it moving. I cant fault him for that. Especially after he was starting in the preseason and leading the team in scoring

Plus his agent and him are smart enough to realize that Redick will never be a huge backcourt contributor with Jameer Nelson signing long term.

quote:

quote:

NBA Math

Compared to the other players I mentioned that are justified in requesting a trade, yes he sure does.