Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

" THE REACTION " Post game reactions - Timberwolves vs Magic

Sorry, guys. I have to blame this loss on Darko. When Jameer gave him the ball at the end, he gave it back to Jameer. He should have just grabbed it and run into the locker room, or thrown it to ANYBODY else, or put it under his shirt, or anything but give it back to Jameer.

I hope you know that I am just being silly. I think we saw in Darko tonight what we will get when this or another coach finally wakes up and begins using him correctly.

Seriously, though, does anyone else think he might be dropping a little of that weight that the Magic wanted him to gain? He seems to be a little quicker lately. I know his back has been bothering him a lot lately but he was doing better tonight.

I still think a play designed like the one they run once about every 5th game where he comes down the middle and gets the lob and stuffs it would be a good play to run at the end. Noone on this green earth would be expecting it. Inbound it at midcourt, a quick pass down into the corner, Darko makes the cut and gets the lob for the stuff.

I have another quick question. When Jameer is supposed to shoot the last shot and sees that he cannot get loose for it, why does he not call a quick timeout so they can reload for a different attempt? That is, if they can even think up different attempt. See above paragraph.

"That's the last thing we needed," Ariza said. "I'll take the blame."

"We know this team [the Magic] is subject to giving up leads," Garnett said.

Orlando Magic Coach Brian Hill made an opening statement and through gritted teeth, said, "Questions?"

Actually, only one needed to be asked after the Magic's 105-104 overtime loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday.

Why would anyone believe the Magic are good enough to take the mystery out of their playoff chase?

This latest episode against the T'wolves has been played out ad nauseam, complete with an airsickness bag for Orlando fans.

Why, just roll back the tape from last Wednesday night's double-OT loss in Boston against the Celtics. The Magic (34-40) donated a lead and then the game, chasing their tail on offense and giving up 3-pointers.

Sub the Timberwolves (31-42) for the Celtics (23-50), and Ricky Davis' 3-pointers for Paul Pierce's, and you have another disturbing, but defining, example of why the Magic are where they are.

And that's holding on by their fingernails to the No. 8 postseason spot in the Eastern Conference, a half game behind the No. 7 New Jersey Nets.

The Magic not only blew a six-point lead with one minute, 27 seconds left in regulation. They also wasted a big night by Grant Hill (23 points) and 56 points from the bench, the rescue effort led by Darko Milicic (18 points, 10 boards) and Trevor Ariza (18).

Dwight Howard had 19 rebounds, but finished with just eight points on five shots.

Having blown a six-point lead with 1:27 left in regulation, the Magic did get a break against the T'wolves in OT with 19 seconds left. Kevin Garnett was called for goaltending Grant Hill's shot to give Orlando a 104-102 lead.

Then, as Pierce did in Boston, Davis hit a backbreaking 3-pointer, going for the victory-or-bust shot. Ariza was defending Davis, but Ariza got caught up on a switch with Garnett and slipped. Milicic couldn't get back to Davis in time after Garnett passed it back to him for the wide-open 3-pointer with 11.5 seconds remaining.

"That's the last thing we needed," Ariza said. "I'll take the blame."

It wasn't as if Davis was just warming up. He finished with 36 points and 3 3-pointers, scoring the last 13 points, including all seven in OT.

But the Magic still had a chance -- if they had a working offense.

Jameer Nelson, the go-to hero in New York and the go-to goat in Boston, had the ball again. Coach Hill either trusts him this much -- critics might say too much -- or has no other late-game choice, which is true.

Nelson was trapped on a pick n' roll with Milicic and got the ball back from him on a scrambling possession that typified their offensive misadventures all season. Nelson drove in for an 8-footer jumper, but the 6-foot-11 Garnett blocked the 5-10 Nelson's offering for the win.

"It's frustrating," said Nelson, who missed two other chances to win it at the end of regulation and was an icy 4-of-14. "It's frustrating."

But nothing was more frustrating than the Magic coughing up a late lead.

"We know this team [the Magic] is subject to giving up leads," Garnett said.

The Magic gave up a 3-pointer to Davis with 1:23 to go that made it 98-95. Keyon Dooling missed on the next awkward possession and Hill's shot was blocked. Ariza fouled Davis behind the 3-point line, and Davis made all three free throws to tie it at 98-98. Then Nelson misfired twice to send it to OT.

"We had control of the game, control of the fourth quarter," Grant Hill said, "And I'm not sure what really happened. I'll have to see the film."

All he has to do is look back at clips from the season.

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

quote:
Originally posted by lazyberbs:

I still think a play designed like the one they run once about every 5th game where he comes down the middle and gets the lob and stuffs it would be a good play to run at the end. Noone on this green earth would be expecting it. Inbound it at midcourt, a quick pass down into the corner, Darko makes the cut and gets the lob for the stuff.

Follow the money! That play for Darko would cost Mr. De Voss 4 millions

quote:
it's just a coincidence,(sarcasm)but have anybody notice that lately we only win when Arroyo plays.

The truth about that, is that even though Arroyo sometimes plays awful, he always come with a passing the ball mind first, and thats always better than having Jameer shooting 15+ the ball in all games. Also Jameer TO rate is extremely bad for us.

I know that the strategy for not playing Arroyo is that Dooling is a better defender. I agree with but does it makes sense when guys like Tinsley and Ricky Davis are scoring at will against us. Where's the defense there? Meanwhile our offense realllly stink. Lately when Carlos comes in the game we star playing like we can.

i know this has probably been discussed somewhere, but i cant read that far back. WHERE WAS HEDO LATE IN THE GAME? i was at the game so if he was hurt or sick late in the game i didnt know about it. any info please. thanks!

quote:
Sorry, guys. I have to blame this loss on Darko. When Jameer gave him the ball at the end, he gave it back to Jameer. He should have just grabbed it and run into the locker room, or thrown it to ANYBODY else, or put it under his shirt, or anything but give it back to Jameer.

Nah! Darko is smarter than that. He knew that if he did what you posted, Jameer would have punched him in the ankles; then, B. Hill would have sent him back in "coach" class to Bosnia, Montenegro, Auschwitz, Gesundheit, or whetever Darko's hometown is located!