Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

The Road to the White House

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Talk to teachers in the public school system and ask them about the dynamics in their class rooms. They will overwhelming tell you that 3/4 unruly students in every class of 30 make educating the remaining students increasing difficult.

What's the natural reaction to this? Kick em out of class, suspend em, expell em, don't punish the 26/27 students interested in learning for the 3 or 4 bad apples, right?

Actually, it's being handled in the exact opposite way in schools these days.

After having our discussion about the education system the last few days, I called up a good friend of mine who is a teacher at a school in a low-income neighborhood. He reported one incident where there was one particular child who was disrupting class by consistently arriving late to class every period, every day. The faculty and principles met to determine a solution. The solution that the majority of instructors and most notably the principles and AP's decided upon was to allow this one student to leave class 3 minutes early every period. They figured that he was showing up late to class because he didn't have enough time between classes to loiter long enough in the halls with his friends.

This is the biggest, most impactful, liberal way of handling problems that has permiated not only our schools, but our businesses, our government, and our scoiety as a whole. The notion that bad behavior should be rewarded is azzinine. It only leads to more and more misbehavior.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Talk to teachers in the public school system and ask them about the dynamics in their class rooms. They will overwhelming tell you that 3/4 unruly students in every class of 30 make educating the remaining students increasing difficult.

What's the natural reaction to this? Kick em out of class, suspend em, expell em, don't punish the 26/27 students interested in learning for the 3 or 4 bad apples, right?

After having our discussion about the education system the last few days, I called up a good friend of mine who is a teacher at a school in a low-income neighborhood. He reported one incident where there was one particular child who was disrupting class by consistently arriving late to class every period, every day. The faculty and principles met to determine a solution. The solution that the majority of instructors and most notably the principles and AP's decided upon was to allow this one student to leave class 3 minutes early every period. They figured that he was showing up late to class because he didn't have enough time between classes to loiter long enough in the halls with his friends.

This is the biggest, most impactful, liberal way of handling problems that has permiated not only our schools, but our businesses, our government, and our scoiety as a whole. The notion that bad behavior should be rewarded is azzinine. It only leads to more and more misbehavior.

I know, I was referring to how normal people would react.

A charter school I worked with in Memphis had their charter unjustifiably revoked 2 days before school started last year in what was a political move for $ & control. Resulted in huge lawsuit, ect...

But, as teachers scrambled for work, many ended up last year in the public school system where they no longer had any authority or discipline in their classrooms. Several quit within the first month when the principles refused to back them up and improve the conditions of their classrooms.

quote:

This little anecdote is not evidence of these things happening on a large scale, or even a small scale for that matter.

I know a guy who went to a rich school and he told me they break into those clothing donation boxes they set up in grocery store parking lots and use the clothes as toilet paper and hand towels in the bathroom. I'm outraged!

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

This little anecdote is not evidence of these things happening on a large scale, or even a small scale for that matter.

I know a guy who went to a rich school and he told me they break into those clothing donation boxes they set up in grocery store parking lots and use the clothes as toilet paper and hand towels in the bathroom. I'm outraged!

LOL.

My anecdote isn't evidence of a larger issue, but yours is?

Not to mention, evidence of a problem, even on a small scale, is still evidence of a problem nonetheless.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

LOL.

Not to mention, evidence of a problem, even on a small scale, is still evidence of a problem nonetheless.

What is true for the micro is not necessarily true for the macro.

quote:

LOL.

My story was clearly a joke.

To your last point: If one student in a poor school likes to kill puppies during class and one teacher says that's ok, does that indicate a problem with poor schools advocating puppy killing?

I assure you, I can make a much clearer/broad reaching arguement pertaining to the misuse of budgeted educational funds and liberal instructor and principle disciplinary practices than you can for puppy abuse condonement.

quote:

I assure you, I can make a much clearer/broad reaching arguement pertaining to the misuse of budgeted educational funds and liberal instructor and principle disciplinary practices than you can for puppy abuse condonement.

By all means, go right ahead.

I expect at least 3 pages double spaced with a font no larger than 12. I expect it to be cross referenced and have a full bibliography as well. You have until the end of the day, at which point it needs to be on my desk.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Osprey, school vouchers are just more big evil government.

Since the gov't already controls the school system, and funds it, I would rather the money go to allowing choice than simply dumping it on failing schools hoping improvements occur.

quote:

quote:

Why is it always the dirty "liberals?" What does that situation have anything to do with liberilsm? Their answer to that problem is idiotic, not liberal.

I don't know why people insist on changing the meaning of words in this country.

If I don't like something it's the dirty conservatives fault...

If your response is going to be a diatribe on how liberals are destroying the country don't even waste your time. I won't read it.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

Since the gov't already controls the school system, and funds it, I would rather the money go to allowing choice than simply dumping it on failing schools hoping improvements occur.

You forgot praying, holding seances, candlelight vigils, and administering voodoo.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Why is it always the dirty "liberals?" What does that situation have anything to do with liberilsm? Their answer to that problem is idiotic, not liberal.

First of all, I didn't say anything about liberals being dirty, so keep that assumption to yourself. Second, it is a liberal practice to not only forgive misconduct, but to encourage it further by failing to establish consequnces that would serve to disuade that action in the first place. Third, I was not making a generalized statement. I was reporting the political affiliation of a large percentage of the staff members that suggested this partcular recourse as reported by my friend who sat on the panel.