Sign in to follow this  
Frankie Figgs

Puerto Rican lament for Arroyo

quote:
Originally posted by CaseyMullen928:

for that youd have to ask hutch. but when you read hutch's initial post, it talks about deiner not being played, and hsi abilities and such. right from the get go this thread focuses on arroyo's puerto rican decent, nothing to do with how hes played or him being benched or anything. My point is this thread should never be brought up in this board because this is not the off topic section. the off topic section description reads "non basketball related discussions. which this is. all these kinds of posts do is pit magic fans against one another. which is not what its about.

Regardless of whether this topic is focused on basketball or politics, it revolves around the idea that Carlos Arroyo is a member of the Orlando Magic and is highly celebrated in his native country. It would be no different than discussing the impact Hedo Turkoglu has in Turkey or Darko Milicic has in Serbia & Montenegro...or for that matter, the impact James Augustine has on Mokena, Illinois.

The name of this forum is "Orlando Magic Forum" and the description clearly read "This is THE place to discuss anything and everything Magic related." Discussions regarding Carlos Arroyo and his impact on Puerto Rico very much fit under that category. Sure, maybe the conversation moves a little bit off-topic, but that's the beauty of a message board - not being restricted in what's discussed.

Yes, unfortunately sometimes discussions turn negative in nature (ie. racial, hateful messages). When that happens, it is up to you - the users of this message board - to turn the topic back around by ignoring it and then let us moderators make sure the content doesn't offend anyone.

Interestingly enough Casey, it was your continued discussion in this particular topic that completely changed the dynamic of the conversation. When the topic appeared to get back on track after your initial post, it was once again shifted away from the original topic after your next post. These are the type of posts that are unneccessary. You offered your opinion, but then wouldn't relent, which then altered the direction of the topic.

I'm not picking on just you Casey, because a lot of others are just as guilty. I'm hoping everyone will take these words of advice to heart. It will make this message board a much more enjoyable place to spend a few minutes (or hours for some of you).

It's great to get your two cents in, but let's not be greedy and offer up a pocket full of useless change! (Your RockChalk Magic Words of Wisdom for Today)

quote:

for that youd have to ask hutch. but when you read hutch's initial post, it talks about deiner not being played, and hsi abilities and such. right from the get go this thread focuses on arroyo's puerto rican decent, nothing to do with how hes played or him being benched or anything. My point is this thread should never be brought up in this board because this is not the off topic section. the off topic section description reads "non basketball related discussions. which this is. all these kinds of posts do is pit magic fans against one another. which is not what its about.

I agree not a magic thread. However, just as in basketball games if I was a moderator, it would be a good no call. Think about it, if all the Arroyo fans decide to lament in this thread, they might stay away from others and troll. Not saying that it will happen but my point is that he is here he has fans and as long as the whole board becomes loaded with Arroyo threads I would not call this foul and let them have their space. By the way, I do agree that Arroyo could have been the PG for the magic but we would have to start playing some street basketball. I would actually be ok with seeing that for the rest of this season and decide where we want to go. Carlos will probably end up in Memphis next year where west has mentioned that he would be interested. The magic are going to get much less for him by basically treating him like the scapegoat. Again, give them a pass and just stay out of thies thread so it wont bother you.

i dont care if Carlos is spanish or not. I am tired of these Arroyo Haters, or Lover stereotypes. Cant we just spread some love on the boards?

quote:
Originally posted by DrAcO Is In ThE DeAtHrOw!:

quote:
Originally posted by Frankie Figgs:

I'm puertorican, and I live in one of the all around best sports nations in the world. Despite the fact that we are a small island,we have produced a lot of international talents in diverse sports.Boxing champions Felix "Tito" Trinidad, and Miguel Cotto, , Carlos Beltran, Delgado, Ivan Rodriguez, Alomar, to name a few,soon to be Hall of Famers, and we have Carlos Arroyo, Piculin Ortiz, Ramon Rivas, Ramon Ramos, Peter John Ramos, Ricky Sanchez, JJ Barea, NBA players past and present.

We are a very intelillent sports nation and a very proud one, and because of our limitations, we try to succeed in everything, and we do it with honor.

Almost 4 million people in PR know Carlos Arroyo and we get very happy when one of our own triumphs and we get on the bad times. We are a loyal fan base because it means a lot what Arroyo has done for this country and we get mad when we see bad comments about Carlos, even if they are true, because he is our basketball leader and he has given us a lot and nothing will change that because he has put Puerto Rico in the national spot light and has opened a lot of door to Barea, Diaz,Ramos, Sanchez, and soon to arrive a lot more. We are proud of Carlos no matter what and I know that my felow Borikuas can agree with me.

So for this post only, please only good vibes, respect, and respect will be given.. thank you

Frankie Torres(Aibonito, Puerto Rico)

Great post Frankie! i agree, Puerto Rico is pound per pound one of the best all around sports nations if you calculate the popolation with the # of great athleth that have came out of the littler island. also music, actors, and diferent kind of artist,etc...

Chris Rivera, Morovis Puerto Rico to the World!

Serbia is #1,lol

quote:
Casey get a life, if your not interested why do u have to reply the post so many times??

you should probably watch the way u talk to people on these boards. its a freedom of speech on these boards, your aloud to say what ever u want. this only has to do with Carlos Arroyo. it should be posted on a Carlos Arroyo forum. Talk about the team, or what Carlos brings to this team. Us non-spanish people dont care about what his fellow countrymen have to say about how proud PR is of him.

quote:
right from the get go this thread focuses on arroyo's puerto rican decent, nothing to do with how hes played or him being benched or anything. My point is this thread should never be brought up in this board because this is not the off topic section. the off topic section description reads "non basketball related discussions. which this is. all these kinds of posts do is pit magic fans against one another. which is not what its about.

For argument's sake, I took a look at other recent posts, to see how related they were to Magic Basketball. If you scroll down enough, you'll see a thread called "any songs to sum up the magic". The topic starter is CaseyMullen928. Last time I checked 723 people had viewed the post and 59 had actually posted. Looks like everyone had a good time coming up with songs. I see CG was very much involved. I was one of the many that chose not to post.

It wasn't a topic I was that interested in, but what's the use in going in there just to tell posters that I didn't find it interesting, or worthy of a thread, or whether it belonged in the off-topic section. It's not my party, why ruin it? Did you noticed that NO ONE ELSE DID EITHER. Because of that, the whole thread is enjoyable to read.

Another post is called "Most annoying Heat PA Announcer sayings from the game" started by djmase20. 181 people have viewed it, 14 have posted. No one went through the trouble of pasting a derrogatory picture showing their lack of interest or insulting the intelligence of those that chose to post. I'm sure many people said "what does this have to do with the Magic?" but no one posted in there those sentiments. Because of that the post has a feel good feeling to it.

Commonality, these posts are not confrontational because of the people who posted, they were not confrontational because no one went in there to make the posters feel bad or upset.

Compare that to every Arroyo thread. You can count on the same people to get into the post and turn it into West Side Story. Come and post in a confontrational way, wait for the negative response, and then scream that Arroyo threads are divisive and confrontational.

How many times does it need to be said. If you don't care about the post, IGNORE IT!!!!

Is there a place in these boards for everybody?

Here's a quote that merits a comment.

"stop ruining these boards with race feuled comments and arguments."

Puerto Rican's are not a different race. Puerto Ricans are made up of many races. Puerto Ricans share a national origin. They are expressing their PATRIOTISM. Is that wrong? That is why I don't have a problem with a post that states that Diener is someone's countryman. Being patriotic is not wrong, is it pertinent on these boards? No less pertinent than magic songs, or Miami PA announcers.

quote:

I'm from sanford florida and about the only noticable person we have is david eckstein...world series MVP...

Casey, I'm from Sanford too, don't forget we had the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, Jeff Blake!

I did title my Diener is my countryman thread as a rip towards "arroyo fans". I could care less where a player is from or grew up or any of that nonsense as long as he balls well as long as he is here. I am not a racist, I am very tolerant of others. Hard to believe, right! I do not understand why we have all been divided, we have:

Arroyo fans/ Arroyo haters

Diener fans/ Diener haters

Jameer fans/ Jameer haters

B Hill fans/ B Hill haters

G hill fans/ G Hill haters

and on and on and on.

At what point did we stop being MAGIC FANS??

This team needs our support and loyalty NOW more than ever. It is NOT too late to make something MAGICAL happen this season. A wise man once said:

I BELIEVE, DO YOU?

Everyone take a deep breath and take JD's words of wisdom.

-the kinder, gentler Hutchence

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

icon_smile.gif