Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

The official UCF thread...

Knights receiving votes in both polls

UCF is receiving votes in both the latest Associated Press and ESPN Coaches' polls released Sunday.

The Knights received four votes in the AP Poll and five votes in the Coaches' Poll. This is the first time UCF has received votes in either poll since the 11th, 12th and 13th weeks of the 2005 season in which the Knights finished 8-4 and made their first ever bowl appearance in the Hawaii Bowl.

Meanwhile, despite his third 100-yard rushing effort of the season, junior TB Kevin Smith fell out of the top spot as the nation's leading rusher. Smith had 124 yards against Memphis, but Arkansas' Darren McFadden is now leading the way with 173 yards per game. Michigan's Michael Hart is next at 163.75, followed by Smith at 163.33.

Smith's fellow Conference USA-mate Matt Forte of Tulane is fourth with 145 ypg, followed by Rutgers' Ray Rice at 143.67 to round out the top five.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/200...knights-receivi.html

RE: Votes in both polls...

Sweetness.

If we can have a similar score Saturday against LA Laf., we should be able to garner votes again. I seriously doubt we will crack the top-25 anytime soon, even if we beat both LA Laf., and East Carolina impressively.

I do think that if we win the next two games and then beat USF, you will see the first top-25 ranking in our history.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:
beat USF to have a stellar season

Keep dreaming.........

I don't think UCF needs to beat USF to have a stellar season, I think if you guys win the CUSA that will be an above stellar season. Looking at the schedule, you could really have a 10 win season.

I always dream about stellar UCF seasons. It's what helps me forget about how bad my Dolphins and Seminoles have been over the last few years.

But I will say this about your point...I would trade a victory over USF for a C-USA title this season, provided it was a close game.

But DLO is right...it hasn't taken long for us, us being UCF students, alumni, and fans, to develop a strong hatred for the USF Bulls. It doesn't help that there is a strong feeling of helplessness because they have beaten us the two times we've played them.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

A little Kevin Smith for you... BTW, he was only a 2 star recruit out of high school.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3oWe0Ts5zJU

I don't think that it is out of the realm of possibility that Smith could have a good enough season to warrant early draft entry. I don't think that he would do it, but I think it would be justified, strictly from a draft-status standpoint.

quote:
I don't think that it is out of the realm of possibility that Smith could have a good enough season to warrant early draft entry. I don't think that he would do it, but I think it would be justified, strictly from a draft-status standpoint.

I have heard that after his great freshman season he had mentioned leaving early. That quited after last years poor performance. I would not be surprised if he leaves after this year. Phillip Smith looked decent the other day. The fumble was disappointing, but at least his backup is seeing the field and getting some reps.

UCF leads C-USA in ticket sales

With its new on-campus stadium, the school has seen an increased average attendance of 5,500 fans per game.

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

September 26, 2007

UCF is on pace to set a school single-season football attendance record in its $54 million on-campus stadium.

After two games in Bright House Networks Stadium, UCF leads Conference USA with an average of 43,877 tickets sold per game.

That includes a sellout crowd of more than 45,622 for the inaugural game against Texas on Sept. 15 -- a home-game high for Conference USA teams this season -- and is an increase of more than 5,500 fans per game compared to the first two home games last season at the Citrus Bowl.

For this week's game against 0-4 Louisiana-Lafayette, UCF has sold 39,000 tickets and figures to keep the C-USA lead at least one more week because East Carolina (42,214), UTEP (39,331), Memphis (37,377) and Marshall (33,819) all play on the road this week.

Through two games last season playing at the crosstown Citrus Bowl, UCF was averaging 38,053. But that total was inflated by the 46,708 it drew against USF in the second game of the year after opening with just 29,398 against Villanova.

The USF crowd was the third-largest home crowd in school history.

The Knights (2-1) averaged 31,358 tickets sold for seven home games in 2006, with the 220,980 total setting an all-time school record. This season the school is on pace to sell 263,325 tickets for its six home games, an increase of about 19 percent.

UCF announced that it sold 42,153 tickets for its 56-20 win over Memphis on Saturday.

And while there were at least 5,000 no-shows by ticket holders, unused tickets were well below the average of 2006, according to Citrus Bowl turnstile figures obtained this summer by the Sentinel.

According to those numbers, UCF announced crowds for the season that were a total of 43.2 percent higher than turnstile counts provided by the Citrus Bowl.

UCF, like all teams in C-USA, reports attendance totals based on the number of tickets sold and not actual bodies through turnstiles.

UCF doesn't have turnstiles at Bright House Networks Stadium, but it monitors that number by scanning tickets as fans enter the stadium.

UCF athletics department spokesman Joe Hornstein said UCF releases attendance numbers based on tickets sold, student actual tickets and non-ticketed credentials and passes.

Regardless of exactly how many bodies were actually in the stands against Memphis and Texas, Knights Coach George O'Leary said he expects fans will consistently fill the new stadium this season.

"The key for us is to keep winning," O'Leary said after Saturday's victory. "If you win, the fans will come back."

Senior quarterback Kyle Israel said he is pleased with how the UCF fan base is responding.

"A lot of people are more excited just being here," Israel said Saturday. "They might not have made the trip, but just the atmosphere of being here was great.

These metal bleachers can get so loud; we can hear it in the locker room. My house is 10 minutes from [the stadium], and it's so exciting to know I could live here the rest of my life and I'd have a venue so close to home."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-fbcucf2607sep26,0,187336.story