Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Mayweather to fight Ricky Hatton Dec.8

Unbeaten welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has opted against retirement for the chance to make Ricky Hatton pay for his boastful comments.

Mayweather and Hatton agreed to terms Friday for a Dec. 8 welterweight fight in Las Vegas, less than three months after Mayweather had said he planned to retire following a victory over Oscar De La Hoya.

Hatton called out Mayweather both before and after his June 23 knockout of Jose Luis Castillo. On Friday, a deal was reached, though Mayweather said he is not certain if his WBC welterweight title will be at stake.

"He's definitely getting knocked out. I guarantee that," Mayweather said. "He's talked the talk. Let's see if he can walk the walk when he's in there against the best."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-mayweather072707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I know I cant be the only boxing fan of this site.

This should be a hell of a fight, I think Hatton can actually beat Floyd.

Unbeaten welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has opted against retirement for the chance to make Ricky Hatton pay for his boastful comments.

Mayweather and Hatton agreed to terms Friday for a Dec. 8 welterweight fight in Las Vegas, less than three months after Mayweather had said he planned to retire following a victory over Oscar De La Hoya.

Hatton called out Mayweather both before and after his June 23 knockout of Jose Luis Castillo. On Friday, a deal was reached, though Mayweather said he is not certain if his WBC welterweight title will be at stake.

"He's definitely getting knocked out. I guarantee that," Mayweather said. "He's talked the talk. Let's see if he can walk the walk when he's in there against the best."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-mayweather072707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I know I cant be the only boxing fan of this site.

This should be a hell of a fight, I think Hatton can actually beat Floyd.

I just cant stand Mayweather's mouth. To his credit tho he does back it up but I think/hope/pray that Ricky Hatton puts him in his place

The fight is only weeks away now! Mayweather is still underestimating the hitman and if he continues to do so he will lose this fight!

He has been trying to make Ricky rise to the bait but he hasnt and you can see it is driving Mayweather mad!

i have been a boxing fans for at least 20 years. Here is my take. Hatton will not win a round vs mayweather. You can not hit what you can see. You think mayweather will exchange punches with this mercinary? They dont call him "prettyboy" for nothing. To many boxing skills set them apart. I am not even sure that Hatton can beat Cotto. I am a Cotto fan but i dont think he can beat mayweather. To me prettyboy is in a class of its own. Unless you catch him with a lucky punch he will make you look like an amateur. Just my 2 cents. One more thing. Oscar has lots of boxing skills and he tried to make Floyd fight. He was not able. Neither will Hatton.

My opinion is that NEITHER fighter has faced an opponent like the one they're facing here. Hatton hasn't faced anybody with the handspeed and movement of Mayweather, but Mayweather hasn't fought anybody with the power and determinatation of Hatton.

When Mayweather fought De La Hoya it wasn't a foregone conclusion and DLH definitely looked well past it in the later rounds. He was exhausted. I hope the Hatton camp has put a lot of focus on his conditioning because he is going to need it. If Mayweather has in any way underestimated Hatton as too slow or unskillful then that could be a fatal mistake for him.

The key is for Hatton to stay calm and not rush in head-first. Firstly, he'll need to conserve his energy as Mayweather isn't going to stand still and trade with him - there will be some mileage in the ring to try and tire Hatton.

Secondly, with that handspeed he can knock anyone out. Hatton has to be very mindful of that.

Also, a calmer approach might confound Mayweather, as Hatton's rep is as a bullish, come-forward opponent. Hatton needs to unleash his power, but he needs to do it when he's going to land with it.

Mayweather needs to be ready to take some big shots. He doesn't need to take one big one, the cumulative effect of punches of Hatton's power will be debilitating the longer the fight progresses. Mayweather needs to try and tempt Hatton in to fighting on his toes and tire him out. He needs to stay away from the power as much as he can and try to use the speed and accuracy he's renowned for.

Two contrasting styles, two great fighters and I hope it's a great night. I would like to see Hatton win it, and think he needs to stop Mayweather as the distance favours him too much.

Mayweather is real good, he took the phychicality and managed to knock out Hatten, ****, good fight.

Mayweather likes to talk ****, but he is a real humble guy, and I he has my respect.

If Mayweather decides to retire now and I think he may do that, he has gotta be put with some of the best boxers ever.

I think he is gonna retire

dang! KNOCK OUT? wow.

Didn't even know it could be streamed. Since I don't know anyone else that's fan of the sport, I didn't want to spend the $60 for a possible 2-3 round fight.

Rich, you gotta hook me up with the links every big fight. Thankfully, i can catch it on HBO next weekend.