Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

Orlando's Viability as a Concert Destination

Below are a couple of great articles in today's Sentinel about Orlando's concert options as well as a comparison between us and Tampa.

UCF Arena is building our star power

The new UCF Arena, to open this fall, will be more than a sports venue. Its top acts could be music to your ears.

Jim Abbott

Sentinel Pop Music Critic

July 16, 2007

A big part of watching a concert at the UCF Arena always has been finding a way to forget you were watching a band on a basketball court.

That's easier said than done, especially when pressed against unforgiving wooden bleachers, craning the neck almost 90 degrees to see the stage.

Basketball: 1. Rock 'n' roll: 0.

This fall, however, look for concerts to even the score. The new $52 million UCF Arena, nearing completion next to the 1991 arena, is a 10,000-seat building that will dwarf its predecessor in size and creature comforts.

The new arena's managers plan to aggressively court concerts -- Ben Gibbs, the building's assistant general manager, envisions a "50-50 mix of sports and live entertainment."

In a landscape that also includes House of Blues at Downtown Disney, Hard Rock Live at Universal's CityWalk, the rebuilt Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, a vibrant downtown club scene and the prospect of a state-of-the-art performing-arts center, the UCF project is a promising development, says Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in-chief of industry trade magazine Pollstar.

In addition to 9,000 reserved seats (replete with armrests and cup holders) in the arena's one-tier bowl, other features of the new center include 500 prime-view club seats with access to a VIP lounge. The design by HOK Sport, the firm behind Oriole Park at Camden Yards and other sports landmarks, also features 16 luxury suites as well as two larger loge box areas and a president's suite. There is the capacity for 1,000 more seats on the floor.

"Everybody used to consider us a secondary market, but now, with all the new state-of-the-art facilities, we've expanded into a major market," said Colleen Flynn, senior talent buyer at Hard Rock Live in Orlando. "It might not be as cool as a venue that's in New York, but the options here are definitely beautiful and easy to work with." A few years ago, she says, Hard Rock wouldn't have been able to draw iconic stars such as Tom Jones and Diana Ross, two recent concerts there.

Whether the new UCF Arena becomes a major player will depend on what kind of talent it draws, according to one frequent concertgoer.

"It depends on what they book," said Thomas Scott, 46. A graphic designer at Walt Disney World who runs his own Eye Noise graphic-design company, Scott estimates that he goes to about three concerts a month.

"I'm past college age, but I still like a lot of current music. If they book the right act, then I'd definitely be there. I'd be interested in seeing it if it's more comfortable than the Amway Arena."

The initial slate of shows at the new arena include comedians Bill Cosby on Sept. 13 and Carlos Mencia on Sept. 21, and country stars Brooks & Dunn and Alan Jackson on Oct. 21.

Bongiovanni says that midsize arenas, such as Silver Spurs and the new UCF Arena, fill an important niche in the current touring business.

"In terms of the future of the business, the conventional wisdom is that there will be a lot more shows that fall in the 5,000- to 10,000-seat range versus those capable of doing 15,000 or 20,000," Bongiovanni said. "At the same time, there's no doubt that the very top A-list artists will want to play the biggest, newest building around. So if the [Orlando] Magic build their building, it'll be a real advantage because the newest state-of-the-art building will be in Orlando."

Jim Mallonee, vice president of bookings for Live Nation/House of Blues in Florida and the Carolinas, estimates that HOB and Hard Rock present about 300 shows a year in Central Florida.

"Our area is very blessed," he said. "We've got good downtown clubs in the Social and BackBooth. Allen Johnson [Orlando Centroplex director] is one of the best building operators in the country. So there's something for everybody."

Although Pollstar doesn't keep rankings of tour markets, Bongiovanni says that Orlando does a nice job of attracting national acts. Geographically, Orlando faces similar problems as Seattle or Vancouver, British Columbia, two markets that aren't on the way to anywhere, he says.

"Once you get there, where do you go? But Orlando is well positioned because if a tour is determined to go all the way to Miami, they go right by" Orlando.

To snag such a show, Orlando competes against Tampa, a busy market that also is equipped with large and midsize arenas, as well as the 20,000-seat Ford Amphitheatre.

"Will Orlando get shows more often than Tampa? It's a tossup," says Jon Stoll, president of Fantasma Productions, the heavyweight concert-promotion company that has been a Florida fixture since Stoll founded the company in 1977. "They have arenas; you have arenas. They have midsize venues; you have midsize venues. For a promoter, it's all about taking the right bookings, not necessarily all the bookings."

Pollstar's Bongiovanni says that as Central Florida's population grows, scheduling tours that hit both Orlando and Tampa could become common, especially with a wealth of competitive venues.

"Now we see that in L.A.," he said. "Orange County [California] used to be one market, but now there are so many people there, acts find they can play Staples Center and the Honda Center in Anaheim on the same tour."

For now, folks at the new UCF Arena are more concerned about putting it on the map for Orlando residents.

"It's not just a college facility," Gibbs said. "It's a community facility."

Jim Abbott can be reached at jabbott@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-6213.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/ucf/orl-u...oll=orl_tab01_layout

Orlando vs. Tampa: The experts weigh in

July 16, 2007

If there's a perception among locals that big shows don't stop in Orlando as often as they do in Tampa or other Florida cities, it's worth recalling that the Amway Arena has hosted Billy Joel, Bob Seger, Eric Clapton and Blue Man Group in recent months, all ranked in the top 15 in Pollstar magazine's midyear Top-100 Tours list.

When it comes to competing with other cities, promoters and industry observers say there's more involved than the building alone, although a new building never hurts.

Two opinions about Orlando vs. Tampa:

Gary Bongiovanni, Pollstar's editor-in-chief: "When you have two suburban metro areas, most shows will play one or the other. There's no doubt that the very top A-list artists will want to play the biggest, newest building around. If the Magic build their building, it will be an advantage because the newest, state-of-the-art building will be in Orlando."

Jon Stoll, founder and president of Fantasma Productions: "If they [tours] come this far south, they will play Miami or West Palm Beach, and we think an artist can also play Orlando and Tampa and Jacksonville. Will Orlando get more shows more often than Tampa? It's a tossup. They have arenas, you have arenas; they have midsize venues, you have midsize venues. It's all about taking the right bookings, even if not necessarily all the bookings."

Below are a couple of great articles in today's Sentinel about Orlando's concert options as well as a comparison between us and Tampa.

UCF Arena is building our star power

The new UCF Arena, to open this fall, will be more than a sports venue. Its top acts could be music to your ears.

Jim Abbott

Sentinel Pop Music Critic

July 16, 2007

A big part of watching a concert at the UCF Arena always has been finding a way to forget you were watching a band on a basketball court.

That's easier said than done, especially when pressed against unforgiving wooden bleachers, craning the neck almost 90 degrees to see the stage.

Basketball: 1. Rock 'n' roll: 0.

This fall, however, look for concerts to even the score. The new $52 million UCF Arena, nearing completion next to the 1991 arena, is a 10,000-seat building that will dwarf its predecessor in size and creature comforts.

The new arena's managers plan to aggressively court concerts -- Ben Gibbs, the building's assistant general manager, envisions a "50-50 mix of sports and live entertainment."

In a landscape that also includes House of Blues at Downtown Disney, Hard Rock Live at Universal's CityWalk, the rebuilt Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, a vibrant downtown club scene and the prospect of a state-of-the-art performing-arts center, the UCF project is a promising development, says Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in-chief of industry trade magazine Pollstar.

In addition to 9,000 reserved seats (replete with armrests and cup holders) in the arena's one-tier bowl, other features of the new center include 500 prime-view club seats with access to a VIP lounge. The design by HOK Sport, the firm behind Oriole Park at Camden Yards and other sports landmarks, also features 16 luxury suites as well as two larger loge box areas and a president's suite. There is the capacity for 1,000 more seats on the floor.

"Everybody used to consider us a secondary market, but now, with all the new state-of-the-art facilities, we've expanded into a major market," said Colleen Flynn, senior talent buyer at Hard Rock Live in Orlando. "It might not be as cool as a venue that's in New York, but the options here are definitely beautiful and easy to work with." A few years ago, she says, Hard Rock wouldn't have been able to draw iconic stars such as Tom Jones and Diana Ross, two recent concerts there.

Whether the new UCF Arena becomes a major player will depend on what kind of talent it draws, according to one frequent concertgoer.

"It depends on what they book," said Thomas Scott, 46. A graphic designer at Walt Disney World who runs his own Eye Noise graphic-design company, Scott estimates that he goes to about three concerts a month.

"I'm past college age, but I still like a lot of current music. If they book the right act, then I'd definitely be there. I'd be interested in seeing it if it's more comfortable than the Amway Arena."

The initial slate of shows at the new arena include comedians Bill Cosby on Sept. 13 and Carlos Mencia on Sept. 21, and country stars Brooks & Dunn and Alan Jackson on Oct. 21.

Bongiovanni says that midsize arenas, such as Silver Spurs and the new UCF Arena, fill an important niche in the current touring business.

"In terms of the future of the business, the conventional wisdom is that there will be a lot more shows that fall in the 5,000- to 10,000-seat range versus those capable of doing 15,000 or 20,000," Bongiovanni said. "At the same time, there's no doubt that the very top A-list artists will want to play the biggest, newest building around. So if the [Orlando] Magic build their building, it'll be a real advantage because the newest state-of-the-art building will be in Orlando."

Jim Mallonee, vice president of bookings for Live Nation/House of Blues in Florida and the Carolinas, estimates that HOB and Hard Rock present about 300 shows a year in Central Florida.

"Our area is very blessed," he said. "We've got good downtown clubs in the Social and BackBooth. Allen Johnson [Orlando Centroplex director] is one of the best building operators in the country. So there's something for everybody."

Although Pollstar doesn't keep rankings of tour markets, Bongiovanni says that Orlando does a nice job of attracting national acts. Geographically, Orlando faces similar problems as Seattle or Vancouver, British Columbia, two markets that aren't on the way to anywhere, he says.

"Once you get there, where do you go? But Orlando is well positioned because if a tour is determined to go all the way to Miami, they go right by" Orlando.

To snag such a show, Orlando competes against Tampa, a busy market that also is equipped with large and midsize arenas, as well as the 20,000-seat Ford Amphitheatre.

"Will Orlando get shows more often than Tampa? It's a tossup," says Jon Stoll, president of Fantasma Productions, the heavyweight concert-promotion company that has been a Florida fixture since Stoll founded the company in 1977. "They have arenas; you have arenas. They have midsize venues; you have midsize venues. For a promoter, it's all about taking the right bookings, not necessarily all the bookings."

Pollstar's Bongiovanni says that as Central Florida's population grows, scheduling tours that hit both Orlando and Tampa could become common, especially with a wealth of competitive venues.

"Now we see that in L.A.," he said. "Orange County [California] used to be one market, but now there are so many people there, acts find they can play Staples Center and the Honda Center in Anaheim on the same tour."

For now, folks at the new UCF Arena are more concerned about putting it on the map for Orlando residents.

"It's not just a college facility," Gibbs said. "It's a community facility."

Jim Abbott can be reached at jabbott@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-6213.

Orlando vs. Tampa: The experts weigh in

July 16, 2007

If there's a perception among locals that big shows don't stop in Orlando as often as they do in Tampa or other Florida cities, it's worth recalling that the Amway Arena has hosted Billy Joel, Bob Seger, Eric Clapton and Blue Man Group in recent months, all ranked in the top 15 in Pollstar magazine's midyear Top-100 Tours list.

When it comes to competing with other cities, promoters and industry observers say there's more involved than the building alone, although a new building never hurts.

Two opinions about Orlando vs. Tampa:

Gary Bongiovanni, Pollstar's editor-in-chief: "When you have two suburban metro areas, most shows will play one or the other. There's no doubt that the very top A-list artists will want to play the biggest, newest building around. If the Magic build their building, it will be an advantage because the newest, state-of-the-art building will be in Orlando."

Jon Stoll, founder and president of Fantasma Productions: "If they [tours] come this far south, they will play Miami or West Palm Beach, and we think an artist can also play Orlando and Tampa and Jacksonville. Will Orlando get more shows more often than Tampa? It's a tossup. They have arenas, you have arenas; they have midsize venues, you have midsize venues. It's all about taking the right bookings, even if not necessarily all the bookings."

Offering just a bit of personal experience, this past Thursday I had to travel to Jacksonville to see 311 and Matisyahu as their only Florida tour stops were in Jacksonville, Tampa, and West Palm. The Venue in Jacksonville was beautiful, and WPMagic and I were commenting on the layout of the place and how pathetic it made the Amway look. Granted the Amway was much larger than the Veterans Memorial but you get the idea.

At the end of August, Incubus will be touring and once again will bypass Orlando to go straight to the Ford Amphitheatre on August 30th. This is more than frustrating.

Dave Matthews likewise is skipping Orlando in September.

I'm tired of having to drive over an hour to see good shows when I live in a city that SHOULD have the proper facilities to support them. As much as I love the Magic, I feel like the prospects presented by creating an acceptable concert venue in Orlando are just as important to me in the issue of the new arena. I'll look forward to watching the Magic win a championship in the new facility in 2010 and then celebrating by going to a sold-out Radiohead show (who's new album should be out at the end of the year thank God).

quote:
Originally posted by HighClassTrash:

At the end of August, Incubus will be touring and once again will bypass Orlando to go straight to the Ford Amphitheatre on August 30th. This is more than frustrating.

I love Incubus, but haven't seen them yet. If you and WP end up hitting that one, give me a heads up if you want company.

Same goes for DMB, I've seen them before, but just like Anchorman, they only get better with repeated viewing.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by HighClassTrash:

I love Incubus, but haven't seen them yet. If you and WP end up hitting that one, give me a heads up if you want company.

Same goes for DMB, I've seen them before, but just like Anchorman, they only get better with repeated viewing.

I used to like DMB back in high school as kind of my "Time to chill out and put away the hard stuff" kinda music. Under the table and dreaming and before these crowded streets were my fav. albums. I remember, I could put the song satelitte on and just kick back and relax. Their newer stuff though is so so. Maybe I haven't heard enough of it, or maybe i've just moved on. It just sounds too repetitive now.