Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Leadership

I would agree that JJ could be that guy but like you said the way Hill treats him I hope he is not effected negatively. He seems to be lacking confidence when he comes into the game because with rookies or near rookies they know with Hill if they make one mistake he is going to yank them. I really do not like they way Brian Hill has to micro-manage everything. But that is for a different discussion.

quote:
Alot of people have been saying the Dwight Howard needs to step up and lead this team. I do not think that is necessarily true. First of all he is 21 years old and still has alot to learn about the game. Your best player does not need to be your leader. Remember what happened when management assumed T-Mac could lead this team, gave him the "C" and got rid of Darrell Armstrong. It was a disaster because he just does not have that personality. We need a Shane Battier type that is not afraid to get in guys faces and is your prototypical glue guy. Jameer does not seem to be mature enough to lead right now and it does not seem that Grant Hill can take it on either. They are both to inconsistent in what they are doing for guys to look up to them on the floor. You can win in spite of bad coaching but you need someone on the floor who will take accountability and get in guys faces. I really do not see anyone on this team who can take that role and I would hope on top of getting a wing guy this summer they get a leader type player to keep everyone together. Dwight seems to be the guy that will keep everyone loose, we just need someone else to tighten the reigns when need be.

while I do agree with what you said, everything has a start. And Dwight being a little vocal about the venting session, its a start for him.

I think JJ could be a team leader in another year or two, there's no way his teammates would even accept him as one now. He's a rookie. He's been buying the team donuts all year. I think if he started trying to lead them, they'd tell him to drop dead. Given enough time though, I think he could definitely step up to the plate.. but it won't be until his teammates see him on their level and as long as he's a rookie, they won't.