Sign in to follow this  
Greg Kite for Three!

Darko vs Tony (a statistical comparision from last season)

A little perspective on Darko. I'm really sad to see him go and believe there must have been something we could have done differently to ensure we didn't lose him in free agency, and for that Otis or someone is to blame. Like all Magic fans I had dreams of the Eastern Twin Towers dominating the paint for the next 10 years. However, if Darko doesn't significantly improve his game we didn't exactly lose Shaq.

On the defensive side Darko's numbers look far more impressive than Tony's. He averaged 1.8 blocks and .55 steals to Tony's .5 blocks and .44 steals. They both fouled people at an almost identical rate, 2.7 vs 2.8 per game. Yet those numbers a little misleading. Statistics do not always tell the full story on defense. For example, Allen Iverson is usually near the top of the league in steals, which sounds impressive. However, he averages so many because he goes for every steal. For every one he gets, he gives up a layup. Hardly an efficient defensive player. Darko is similar; he blocks a lot of shots, but in large part it's because he went for EVERY blocked shot (Dwight does this too at times but not nearly as much). So many times Darko would swing and miss on a block only to let his man get the offensive rebound. Darko is also out of position constantly on defense. He loses contact with his man and often seems lost. For a guy with international experience he was horrible in zone sets last year. At least once every two games an irate Brian Hill would pull Darko from the game for a defensive lapse. Ironically, Tony and Darko averaged exactly 23.9 minutes per game. Rebounding was a wash as well. Tony got 5.2 per game to Darko's 5.5.

On offense, Darko unquestionably has a higher skill level than Tony. Tony was a more efficient shooter at 49% to Darko's 45%, but Darko scored in double figures 29 times (36 %) while Tony managed only 13 double digit outputs (20 %). However, Darko averaged less than 2 points more per game than Tony,despite the large number of double digit games and significantly more plays run in his direction. In fact, over the course of the season, Darko averaged 3.1 made baskets a game and 1.8 made free throws compared to Tony's 2.7 baskets made and .8 free throws (when we think about the pain of losing Darko remember we just need 3 baskets a game to effectively replace him). So how does Darko almost double the double digit scoring games yet average only 1.9 more points per game? Inconsistency. Despite all his great games, Darko only averaged half a basket made per game more than Tony. In games where Darko played at least 14 minutes, he scored below 5 points 15 times (19 %). Using the same standard, Tony accomplished the same dubious achievement 44 % of the time. Tony was pretty consistent for 4-7 points a night while Darko could give you anything from 0 to 21. The 19 % under 5 points number for Darko is a little disturbing when you consider the Magic would run the offense through him when Dwight was on the bench, and sometimes even when Dwight was on the floor if he was having one of his "I get called for an offensive foul if I touch the defender with any part of my body" nights. Tony never had plays run for him, with the exception of very early in a game where Brian would usually try and get Tony either a jumper from the low block or a hook shot. There were games when we relied on Darko's offense and he killed us, and there were games where he killed the other team. Tony rarely killed the other team, but he rarely killed us.

It seemed apparent at times last season when Darko was not involved on offense he lost his focus on defense. With Turk, Shard, Dwight, Ariza, Nelso, and Garrity (just joking) would the Magic have enough shot opportunities to keep Darko focused? Considering Dwight shot 60 % from the field do we really want Darko taking away touches by Dwight? But Darko can shot the ball from the outside right? But how effective is he really? Not very. He shot 32 % from outside the paint last season, and only 51% at the rim. Compare that to Tony who shot 36 % from outside the paint and 63 % at the rim. Another example of Darko's inconsistency is his monthly shooting percentages. He shot 48, 39, 38, 50, 43, and 66 percent. Tony shot 49, 43, 55, 55, 46, 50. With Darko it could be really great or really bad. With Tony you always get near his average.

For any baseball fans out there, Darko is like the power hitter batting .240, hitting 35 home runs, striking out 190 times a season, and making a Manny Ramirez type play on the ball all too often. Tony is the guy hitting .285, with 10 home runs, but getting about the same RBI and runs scored as the power hitter, and pretty consistently fielding the ball.

The numbers say Tony and Darko are about the same. However, the numbers don't say what we all know, that Darko has vast potential, and if he ever reaches it he will be a significantly better player than Tony. If I could chose between keeping Tony and Darko I'd keep Darko no doubt, but losing Darko is not the end of the world like that sad day Shaq went west. This isn't an awful day for the Magic, but it could be down the road. Today, we basically lost Chris Mihm, whose career numbers are about the same as Darko's last season. If you think about it like that it doesn't sound so bad. I know I wouldn't lose any sleep losing Mihm. Just keep repeating this over and over again to yourself until you finally believe it and the pain just fades away.

A little perspective on Darko. I'm really sad to see him go and believe there must have been something we could have done differently to ensure we didn't lose him in free agency, and for that Otis or someone is to blame. Like all Magic fans I had dreams of the Eastern Twin Towers dominating the paint for the next 10 years. However, if Darko doesn't significantly improve his game we didn't exactly lose Shaq.

On the defensive side Darko's numbers look far more impressive than Tony's. He averaged 1.8 blocks and .55 steals to Tony's .5 blocks and .44 steals. They both fouled people at an almost identical rate, 2.7 vs 2.8 per game. Yet those numbers a little misleading. Statistics do not always tell the full story on defense. For example, Allen Iverson is usually near the top of the league in steals, which sounds impressive. However, he averages so many because he goes for every steal. For every one he gets, he gives up a layup. Hardly an efficient defensive player. Darko is similar; he blocks a lot of shots, but in large part it's because he went for EVERY blocked shot (Dwight does this too at times but not nearly as much). So many times Darko would swing and miss on a block only to let his man get the offensive rebound. Darko is also out of position constantly on defense. He loses contact with his man and often seems lost. For a guy with international experience he was horrible in zone sets last year. At least once every two games an irate Brian Hill would pull Darko from the game for a defensive lapse. Ironically, Tony and Darko averaged exactly 23.9 minutes per game. Rebounding was a wash as well. Tony got 5.2 per game to Darko's 5.5.

On offense, Darko unquestionably has a higher skill level than Tony. Tony was a more efficient shooter at 49% to Darko's 45%, but Darko scored in double figures 29 times (36 %) while Tony managed only 13 double digit outputs (20 %). However, Darko averaged less than 2 points more per game than Tony,despite the large number of double digit games and significantly more plays run in his direction. In fact, over the course of the season, Darko averaged 3.1 made baskets a game and 1.8 made free throws compared to Tony's 2.7 baskets made and .8 free throws (when we think about the pain of losing Darko remember we just need 3 baskets a game to effectively replace him). So how does Darko almost double the double digit scoring games yet average only 1.9 more points per game? Inconsistency. Despite all his great games, Darko only averaged half a basket made per game more than Tony. In games where Darko played at least 14 minutes, he scored below 5 points 15 times (19 %). Using the same standard, Tony accomplished the same dubious achievement 44 % of the time. Tony was pretty consistent for 4-7 points a night while Darko could give you anything from 0 to 21. The 19 % under 5 points number for Darko is a little disturbing when you consider the Magic would run the offense through him when Dwight was on the bench, and sometimes even when Dwight was on the floor if he was having one of his "I get called for an offensive foul if I touch the defender with any part of my body" nights. Tony never had plays run for him, with the exception of very early in a game where Brian would usually try and get Tony either a jumper from the low block or a hook shot. There were games when we relied on Darko's offense and he killed us, and there were games where he killed the other team. Tony rarely killed the other team, but he rarely killed us.

It seemed apparent at times last season when Darko was not involved on offense he lost his focus on defense. With Turk, Shard, Dwight, Ariza, Nelso, and Garrity (just joking) would the Magic have enough shot opportunities to keep Darko focused? Considering Dwight shot 60 % from the field do we really want Darko taking away touches by Dwight? But Darko can shot the ball from the outside right? But how effective is he really? Not very. He shot 32 % from outside the paint last season, and only 51% at the rim. Compare that to Tony who shot 36 % from outside the paint and 63 % at the rim. Another example of Darko's inconsistency is his monthly shooting percentages. He shot 48, 39, 38, 50, 43, and 66 percent. Tony shot 49, 43, 55, 55, 46, 50. With Darko it could be really great or really bad. With Tony you always get near his average.

For any baseball fans out there, Darko is like the power hitter batting .240, hitting 35 home runs, striking out 190 times a season, and making a Manny Ramirez type play on the ball all too often. Tony is the guy hitting .285, with 10 home runs, but getting about the same RBI and runs scored as the power hitter, and pretty consistently fielding the ball.

The numbers say Tony and Darko are about the same. However, the numbers don't say what we all know, that Darko has vast potential, and if he ever reaches it he will be a significantly better player than Tony. If I could chose between keeping Tony and Darko I'd keep Darko no doubt, but losing Darko is not the end of the world like that sad day Shaq went west. This isn't an awful day for the Magic, but it could be down the road. Today, we basically lost Chris Mihm, whose career numbers are about the same as Darko's last season. If you think about it like that it doesn't sound so bad. I know I wouldn't lose any sleep losing Mihm. Just keep repeating this over and over again to yourself until you finally believe it and the pain just fades away.

Ok, but none of that is the issue. The issue is would you rather pay Tony and his bad knees 5.5m a season or a 22 year old Darko the 7m he got from Memphis.

If you don't think the Lewis contract was absurd, fine, but anyone who spins not losing much dropping from Darko to Battie is delusional.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Ok, but none of that is the issue. The issue is would you rather pay Tony and his bad knees 5.5m a season or a 22 year old Darko the 7m he got from Memphis.

If you don't think the Lewis contract was absurd, fine, but anyone who spins not losing much dropping from Darko to Battie is delusional.

you do know that they offered darko around 7m and they turned it down.

quote:
Originally posted by victorythagr8:

quote:

No, they didn't accept the qualifying offer(6.8?) before we withdrew it. We never made an official offer after that. We asked them to make an offer, they said 10, and then we traded a 2nd round pick for the right to give Lewis 30m more dollars than before.

quote:
Originally posted by victorythagr8:

quote:

That's THE WORST PART. It wasn't the $, it was how Otis handled it!

I read a book in college titled The Art of Negotiation. It was written by THE original sports agent, Bob Wolff. I would recommend it to Otis.

Thank you for that excellent analysis. Very interesting. Darko is like that 2nd hit of crack that is never quite as good as the first, but you always believe the next hit will be. Similarly, Darko will have that great moment that you expect to be repeated again and again, but instead you end up in a deep depression after watching his lefty hook miss at point blank range 3 attempts in a row.

Darko has to pay TN state income tax on that $7 Mil. $1.4 makes it $5.6 Mil. I bet cornstein does not tell Darko that. Magic offer was $6.8 mil no state income tax.

Opps !!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kite:

Darko is like that 2nd hit of crack that is never quite as good as the first, but you always believe the next hit will be.

My nomination for "most disturbing analogy" of the month.

I love how all of the sudden we go from Otis being a retard for not signing Darko to Darko being a money grubbing loser ***** that can't play to save his life. Some of you guys act like 5 year olds.