Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

You guys have to look at it like this (Regarding Lewis being 34 and making 20mil)

If Hill could average almost 15 points a game on bad everything then what makes you think Rashard Lewis can't still be good at age 34 if he is improving each year in the league? I think this is going to be something special. We will build in the draft and trades and pretty soon this team is going to be really scary.

If Hill could average almost 15 points a game on bad everything then what makes you think Rashard Lewis can't still be good at age 34 if he is improving each year in the league? I think this is going to be something special. We will build in the draft and trades and pretty soon this team is going to be really scary.

I love Rashard, but this was a poor move by Otis to overpay THIS much. There was no need to tack on the 6th year. And there has been no explanation why it was done either.

I agree, he was extremely overpaid. This move puts them in salary cap hell for the future. By age 34, they'll probably want to buy his contract out. Either that or they'll just have to play with 2 players for the entire game, Lewis and Dwight, because they can't afford anyone else. Regardless of the contract though, Lewis is a very good player and the management did their job by landing a talented player to help this team.

In an interview with Otis on 740 the Team he said they wanted Lewis and Dwight together for 6 years. They asked Otis this because there were rumors that Lewis was could do a sign and trade to Houston if the Magic didn't do the sign and trade to get the 6th year.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

I love Rashard, but this was a poor move by Otis to overpay THIS much. There was no need to tack on the 6th year. And there has been no explanation why it was done either.

The explanation is that another team could have acquired him through a sign and trade with the Sonics. Yes, we were probably the only team that could have acquired him outright, but if the Sonics could have persuaded him to be traded to the Heat for example, for another year and for about $30 million more, what are the chances he would have done it?

Look at the bright side, we are going to be pretty good for 6 years and when those 6 years are up the Magic will have 45 million off the books. Dwight (resigned) will be in full bloom at 28 so whoever is worth having would be on the first plane to orlando. This team is pretty much set for the next 10-15 years as long as Otis can find some good role players and draft well.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

my understanding of why it was done is because other teams were offering lewis that 6th year. so if otis doesnt offer the 6th year bye bye lewis. lewis was not overpayed. as i posted in another thread, houston was begging to do it.

Let's put it this way. Someone was going to overpay for Rashard Lewis or someone else. With the Billy Donovan fiasco, I don't think we were willing to take any risk of losing Lewis.

yes we got lewis we still don't have darko we don't make the playoff youre fired otis and jameer nelson you suck i bet you suck