Sign in to follow this  
fishybashi

IT'S ABOUT TIME WE CHANGE THINGS UP A BIT

Brian Hill,

FOr the sake of this season, please don't be so stubborn. I believe that having lost 22 of the last 29 we can safely conclude that things aren't working. The defense you have such pride in? Not there anymore, sir. Your team has lost the desire to win! I can see it in their eyes, they don't think they can win anymore.

There are some very clear problems, sir.

1) Dwight needs to surround himself with 1-2 consistent shooters -- everytime. Do you realize why Dwight leads the league in turnovers? You see he doesn't have enough perimeter shooters surround him to receive a pass when he gets triple teamed. The NBA has learned to collapse on Dwight because they know the Magic don't have a consistent outside threat who Dwight can pass to. if a Redick AND a Diener were together on the floor with Dwight? Teams will get scared coz we'll shoot to kill!

2) Your starting lineup? Sucks. Hasn't worked for a long time, sir. Let me just tell you -- GIVE IT UP! PG situation -- very bad. Something has to change there, sir. The turnover situation hasn't changed from day one. It's March now sir, can we PLEASE do something -- anything -- about that? No one is carrying the offense well, and I don't think you have evaluated all your options to it's full potential. For one, you haven't given up on the fact that Grant Hill is not a natural shooting guard. He clogs up the back court, can't you see? Really slows us down. He's s a good player, yes, but I think we need a good outside shooter there to start in order to widen the space for Dwight (hence look at number one above). I would start Grant or Hedo, but not put both of them in the starting lineup together. Use them interchangeably at their natural position. Back to the PG position: I think we have given Jameer and Carlos plenty of chances. Can we finally try Diener out? This time for more than two games? And I mean Point Guard, not PG for one day then back up Shooting Guard the next day. You see, Travis -- he was a PG in college. He is good at that! Let's play our players in the their natural position -- how about that? Is that simple enough for you? Grant Hill is a small forward. Travis Diener is a point guard. Jameer is a shooting guard! Pretty easy huh! Cool, huh?

3) Darko's true potential under utilized. Did you know that Darko was a good shooter before? Heck, he was pretty good last year! Sir, you really hurt his feelings and tried to turn him into a Shaq! I think he can be more like a Dirk! Let's play him a little farther from the basket so he doesn't clog the lane with D12! In fact if he shoots a little more, I think it will take defensive focus away from D12 and give D12 more room to be the Shaq guy you always wanted! Yay! And guess what? Darko? He's also a very good passer! Use those natural skills, sir! Use them!

4) Defense -- we are getting killed by other teams on their 3-point scoring. Sir, there is something called a zone defense that really works to contain that! You can watch some college games, they are good at utilizing that. You can probably look it up on the internet and learn a thing or two about it. You see when teams start to shoot our lights out, we should utilize that more. And guess what? You are concerned about Diener and Redick not playing good defense -- well, now that the team is not playing good defense anyway, can we use them now? Oh, and if that really is your concern, we can remedy that with zone defense too!!!! It's really a good thing, sir. Try it more often and more consistently! You'll see!

5) Redick and Diener. Use them more, and you'll see. You'll see. They have hearts of a champion, and that's what we need right now!

6) Nelson and Arroyo. Sir, when you turned this team to a solely half-*** slow half court offensive machine (or bore), they began to suck. These guys liked running a lot more -- I like that you are running them more now, but they are losing their vigor because they don't believe like they used to anymore! Remind them that this is one of their identities. Not saying to run all the time, but mixing up the offense is really key, sir. Also may I suggest that when they run, try Diener at point and Nelson at the 2 -- I really think you will begin to see Nelson's true strenght as a scorer come out.

7) Encourage our young players. Don't tune them out and make them feel bad! When they leave with a chip like that, they will only prove their worth somewhere else and make you pay. Sir, you have the leading NCAA 3-point shooter of all time! Did you see the defense on him tonight against the Bobcats??? If you set him up to succeed, you will have yourself a legitimate 3-point threat on board!

Will you at least try the above, sir, at least one game? One game? I would be happy if you at least fix the turnover/low assist situation first by using a different point guard, then adjusting for the lack of three point threats next, and then attempt to utilize the zone defense a little more. Let's work on those first!

What do you think, sir? Does that sound good? It's not like we're doing that great anyway, right sir? Worth it to try something different, right? It's time to adjust to other teams, right? It's March 12th after all, sir, way past All Start Break, so we need to salvage a little something, right? Right? Right? Right? Right?

I don't want to be a broken record, sir. But you are one deaf son of a *****, you know that?

Brian Hill,

FOr the sake of this season, please don't be so stubborn. I believe that having lost 22 of the last 29 we can safely conclude that things aren't working. The defense you have such pride in? Not there anymore, sir. Your team has lost the desire to win! I can see it in their eyes, they don't think they can win anymore.

1) Dwight needs to surround himself with 1-2 consistent shooters -- everytime. Do you realize why Dwight leads the league in turnovers? You see he doesn't have enough perimeter shooters surround him to receive a pass when he gets triple teamed. The NBA has learned to collapse on Dwight because they know the Magic don't have a consistent outside threat who Dwight can pass to. if a Redick AND a Diener were together on the floor with Dwight? Teams will get scared coz we'll shoot to kill!

2) Your starting lineup? Sucks. Hasn't worked for a long time, sir. Let me just tell you -- GIVE IT UP! PG situation -- very bad. Something has to change there, sir. The turnover situation hasn't changed from day one. It's March now sir, can we PLEASE do something -- anything -- about that? No one is carrying the offense well, and I don't think you have evaluated all your options to it's full potential. For one, you haven't given up on the fact that Grant Hill is not a natural shooting guard. He clogs up the back court, can't you see? Really slows us down. He's s a good player, yes, but I think we need a good outside shooter there to start in order to widen the space for Dwight (hence look at number one above). I would start Grant or Hedo, but not put both of them in the starting lineup together. Use them interchangeably at their natural position. Back to the PG position: I think we have given Jameer and Carlos plenty of chances. Can we finally try Diener out? This time for more than two games? And I mean Point Guard, not PG for one day then back up Shooting Guard the next day. You see, Travis -- he was a PG in college. He is good at that! Let's play our players in the their natural position -- how about that? Is that simple enough for you? Grant Hill is a small forward. Travis Diener is a point guard. Jameer is a shooting guard! Pretty easy huh! Cool, huh?

3) Darko's true potential under utilized. Did you know that Darko was a good shooter before? Heck, he was pretty good last year! Sir, you really hurt his feelings and tried to turn him into a Shaq! I think he can be more like a Dirk! Let's play him a little farther from the basket so he doesn't clog the lane with D12! In fact if he shoots a little more, I think it will take defensive focus away from D12 and give D12 more room to be the Shaq guy you always wanted! Yay! And guess what? Darko? He's also a very good passer! Use those natural skills, sir! Use them!

4) Defense -- we are getting killed by other teams on their 3-point scoring. Sir, there is something called a zone defense that really works to contain that! You can watch some college games, they are good at utilizing that. You can probably look it up on the internet and learn a thing or two about it. You see when teams start to shoot our lights out, we should utilize that more. And guess what? You are concerned about Diener and Redick not playing good defense -- well, now that the team is not playing good defense anyway, can we use them now? Oh, and if that really is your concern, we can remedy that with zone defense too!!!! It's really a good thing, sir. Try it more often and more consistently! You'll see!

5) Redick and Diener. Use them more, and you'll see. You'll see. They have hearts of a champion, and that's what we need right now!

6) Nelson and Arroyo. Sir, when you turned this team to a solely half-*** slow half court offensive machine (or bore), they began to suck. These guys liked running a lot more -- I like that you are running them more now, but they are losing their vigor because they don't believe like they used to anymore! Remind them that this is one of their identities. Not saying to run all the time, but mixing up the offense is really key, sir. Also may I suggest that when they run, try Diener at point and Nelson at the 2 -- I really think you will begin to see Nelson's true strenght as a scorer come out.

7) Encourage our young players. Don't tune them out and make them feel bad! When they leave with a chip like that, they will only prove their worth somewhere else and make you pay. Sir, you have the leading NCAA 3-point shooter of all time! Did you see the defense on him tonight against the Bobcats??? If you set him up to succeed, you will have yourself a legitimate 3-point threat on board!

Will you at least try the above, sir, at least one game? One game? I would be happy if you at least fix the turnover/low assist situation first by using a different point guard, then adjusting for the lack of three point threats next, and then attempt to utilize the zone defense a little more. Let's work on those first!

What do you think, sir? Does that sound good? It's not like we're doing that great anyway, right sir? Worth it to try something different, right? It's time to adjust to other teams, right? It's March 12th after all, sir, way past All Start Break, so we need to salvage a little something, right? Right? Right? Right? Right?

I don't want to be a broken record, sir. But you are one deaf son of a *****, you know that?

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

Brian Hill,

LOL, well-written. Nearly fell off my chair laughing at parts of it. Sadly it's all true.

/Signed

Sorry, but a zone does not slow 3's down.

Better perimeter defense does. The 3's are open because the perimeter defenders are collapsing into the lane unnecessarily. IF they stayed at home, there would be fewer open looks.

quote:
Originally posted by craig01:

Sorry, but a zone does not slow 3's down.

Better perimeter defense does. The 3's are open because the perimeter defenders are collapsing into the lane unnecessarily. IF they stayed at home, there would be fewer open looks.

Agreed, but it's a relatively minor point in his post. The rest of what he writes is very good.

quote:
You can probably look it up on the internet and learn a thing or two about it.

Now that's funny. I can see it now, basketballplays.com. An online service for coaches to download play books and offensive/defensive schemes. For an additional $19.95/month, they'll scout the other team for you.

quote:
2) Your starting lineup? Sucks. Hasn't worked for a long time, sir. Let me just tell you -- GIVE IT UP! PG situation -- very bad.

Oh, wow - agreed. I think this team should style themselves after the Karl Malone Jazz teams:

PG Diener (Arroyo as a change-of-pace guard)

SG Jameer or JJ

SF Turk or Ariza, depending on the goal (off or def)

PF Duh.

C Darko (think of him as a Greg Ostertag that could actually contribute more than a foul-sink)

Dwight doesnt look for JJ at all. JJ is open alot when Dwight has the ball, he is calling for it but Dwight just isnt very good with the ball. Then Dwight just throws a brick off the backboard.

quote:
Originally posted by Undisputed4:

Dwight doesnt look for JJ at all. JJ is open alot when Dwight has the ball, he is calling for it but Dwight just isnt very good with the ball. Then Dwight just throws a brick off the backboard.

Sadly, I must agree with you here. Dwight's court vision is still... well..... horrible.

By the way, great post fishy !!

They always run that stupid play where the ball goes in to the post, then they run the PG (usually) outside of Dwight, and Dwight always fakes a hand-off to the cutting PG. Unfortunately, he NEVER hands it off, so the fake is pointless. Often the player actually has a step on his defender, and could easily go in for a reverse layup, but instead Dwight keeps the ball.

By the way, if you are wondering why I say it's a stupid play: why are you running a defender toward Dwight? Especially a quick guard that can strip him of the ball. Absolutely idiotic.

Love D12, but those that say he has a high basketball IQ are mistaken when it comes to how to play the post.

He will eventually learn and become virtually unstoppable but, until then, some of these things are painful to watch.

I think the Magic would really, really, really benefit from being a pick-and-roll team. Dwight will become a better passer; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I think the Magic would really, really, really benefit from being a pick-and-roll team. Dwight will become a better passer; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

totally agree. and i guess darko can show d12 to shot better to the basket, and dwight show darko how to be agressive.