Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree mentality and intangibles matter a lot, but skill and talent and complimentary roster building matters too. Especially when you're a good team trying to take the next step into legitimate contendership. 

Castle being an "Alpha guy" despite being the 4th/5th option on his college team is pretty funny. 

We can't find minutes for our two lottery picks from last year, what makes you think we'll find minutes for a lottery pick this year when those 2 lottery picks will (hopefully) be improved and we'll (hopefully) be pushing harder for higher seeding and more success. The bar for getting minutes on this team is only going to get steeper.

If you're looking to use assets to add a piece to the starting lineup that's what the trade market is for where you'll likely get a much more immediate contributor. 

don’t disagree with the last statement. This is my opinion as well.. But if there is no trade, i’d rather use assets and move up and get a desired player (doesn’t have to be the ones mentioned) 
But why settle for a player we can’t get minutes on the floor? We are too deep for that.. So if we can’t get a trade done, we have to either get a starter and move up, or get a backup SF who can take Ingles minutes or a backup center to compete with WCJ and Mo Wagner. (Bitadze is probably gone as he can probably get more money than we’d be willing give a third string center for us)

38 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

But why settle for a player we can’t get minutes on the floor? 

Because everyone we draft will probably not get minutes. It's highly unlikely we can trade up as high as pick 6 in this draft and we have a 6th pick on our roster playing 18mpg. 

It seems reasonable to assume whoever we pick is likely going to be our 15th man and up and down from the g league in year one.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Because everyone we draft will probably not get minutes. It's highly unlikely we can trade up as high as pick 6 in this draft and we have a 6th pick on our roster playing 18mpg. 

It seems reasonable to assume whoever we pick is likely going to be our 15th man and up and down from the g league in year one.

ok we are projected to draft at 20 now.. 

Who can we get there that will have a significant impact on our roster? 

This scenario is only if there is no trade available for us! I would than trade up and use cap space in FA and continue to grow this team! We have to be aggressive for once. This off season is the time to do it.

So you are saying Top 6 pick is unrealistic to trade up. Ok, i kinda agree. Projected Top 6 players right now.

1. Sarr 2. Risachier 3. C. Williams 4. Topić 5. Buzelis 6. Castle

Ron Holland could move up, R. Dillingham or maybe somebody else.. Ok..

But i’d rather move up and get players like Sheppard, Knecht, Holland, Missi, Salaun, Collier or others i might have forgotten right now, than settling at 20 and getting a guy who will be definitely be a third string player. 

Knecht would make an immediate impact as a successor to Ingles, Salaun also nice fit at SF. Missi i like to compete for that starting center position, especially when we need a defensive minded center going forward. 

I don’t feel comfortable staying at 20 and settling for that third tier talent if this draft. 

We talking PJ Hall, McCain and that tier of talent in that range

On 3/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, CTMagicUK said:

I'd rather have Yves Missi (for example, ESPN had him mocked at 22 last update, Id be surprised if he's on the board when we pick) and 2 first round picks than Ron Holland 

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

But i’d rather move up and get players like Sheppard, Knecht, Holland, Missi, Salaun, Collier or others i might have forgotten right now, than settling at 20 and getting a guy who will be definitely be a third string player

Knecht would make an immediate impact as a successor to Ingles, Salaun also nice fit at SF. Missi i like to compete for that starting center position, especially when we need a defensive minded center going forward. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Because everyone we draft will probably not get minutes

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

ok we are projected to draft at 20 now.. 

Who can we get there that will have a significant impact on our roster? 

Are we having two separate conversations?

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Are we having two separate conversations?

No, i don’t think so.. I just started of with some names id trade up for. And you rightfully said it wouldn’t be realistic to trade up for anyone in the Top 6. 

I therefore expanded names i’d like the Magic to be aggressive rather than to stay put at projected pick 20. Because imo a prospect at 20 doesn’t help us right now. 

And if we couldn’t use assets to make a impactful trade, i’d rather trade up for someone like Knecht, Missi or the names i posted and then go out and get a player like Monk in FA. 

Bottom line is that we have to be aggressive this offseason and don’t just relax in our armchair

Oh and i don’t think a rookie wouldn’t get minutes.. We have a starting PG position(combo guard), backup SF and backup C to address 

7 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Just a reminder, Jameer Nelson was a #20 pick.

Yea, I'm not saying that the player we pick in the teens/twenties won't be a good NBA player, but they likely won't get big minutes year one.

8 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Just a reminder, Jameer Nelson was a #20 pick.

This team doesn’t need Jameer Nelson. No disrespect, but this team needs Chris Paul. 

We need that playmaking, ball handling star. Game against the Knicks showed us. 

But i tend to agree with CT here that the draft probably won’t be the answer. We can find a bench player in the draft, but we probably ain’t getting anybody who lifts this team. 

Im going to rethink my take bout Castle, Holland and others being able to lift us to the next step.. Don’t see it right now

This team would be awesome with prime Jameer Nelson at PG, genuinely great. Of course every team would prefer to have Chris Paul to Jameer Nelson but since Chris Paul is one of the best point guards of a generation let's aim a little lower. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This team would be awesome with prime Jameer Nelson at PG, genuinely great. Of course every team would prefer to have Chris Paul to Jameer Nelson but since Chris Paul is one of the best point guards of a generation let's aim a little lower. 

let’s take that comparison to this years off season

To me Chris Paul resembles Trae Young 

and Nelson would be Tyus Jones

I personally would do everything for Trae Young, but yeah i’d be damn happy with Tyus Jones

6 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

let’s take that comparison to this years off season

To me Chris Paul resembles Trae Young 

and Nelson would be Tyus Jones

I personally would do everything for Trae Young, but yeah i’d be damn happy with Tyus Jones

Disrespectful to Jameer Nelson. Tyus Jones? Nah.