Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I think even if Hezonja ends up being what we thought he'd be he doesn't really fit on the team. It was one thing when we had him stuck between oladipo and Gordon as a Hedo/Gallo type guy. But look at what we're trying to do and who would you take out of our rotation to bring in hezonja? The only thing I can come up with is if we transition into a Gordon/Isaac at 5 lineup.

If someone offered Gallinari (or insert any solid starting SF that doesn't really play great defense) for Ross today I wouldn't take it. So doesn't that mean Mario doesn't fit? I'm still pretty high on him as an NBA player but I'm a big proponent of 9 man rotations and we need as many defense first guys as possible in order to keep this going.

1 minute ago, Payton4thewin said:

I think even if Hezonja ends up being what we thought he'd be he doesn't really fit on the team. It was one thing when we had him stuck between oladipo and Gordon as a Hedo/Gallo type guy. But look at what we're trying to do and who would you take out of our rotation to bring in hezonja? The only thing I can come up with is if we transition into a Gordon/Isaac at 5 lineup.

If someone offered Gallinari (or insert any solid starting SF that doesn't really play great defense) for Ross today I wouldn't take it. So doesn't that mean Mario doesn't fit? I'm still pretty high on him as an NBA player but I'm a big proponent of 9 man rotations and we need as many defense first guys as possible in order to keep this going.

I think he could potentially take the 3 spot in that scenario, especially as a catch and shoot type player. I think someone needs to hypnotize him into thinking every player he defends is Lebron though.

1 minute ago, Odin said:

I think he could potentially take the 3 spot in that scenario, especially as a catch and shoot type player. I think someone needs to hypnotize him into thinking every player he defends is Lebron though.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think I've figured out what's up with that.

When you watch Mario on defense he's always looking around. he's figuring out where he should be on the floor when his man is just standing in the corner. He often overhelps or is late helping and it causes our defense to be off balance. I wonder how much of this is due to Skiles (if you'll remember we all complained about his scheme where the weakside guy would have one foot in the paint helping for vucevic and we allowed like thousands of wide open corner threes) so he's having a hard time coping with that vs what we did last year vs what we're doing this year. All different defensive philosophies that require different movements and enough reps that you perform those rotations without thinking about them.

When you defend Lebron you don't help off Lebron. you just stick on LeBron. Lebron has the ball or LeBron will get the ball. if you give him an inch he'll exploit it. so you just stay on LeBron. It simplifies everything. He just needs to stay on his man. He was the Giannis stopper in the Olympic qualifying for I think the same reasons.

1 minute ago, Payton4thewin said:

I've been thinking a lot about this and I think I've figured out what's up with that.

When you watch Mario on defense he's always looking around. he's figuring out where he should be on the floor when his man is just standing in the corner. He often overhelps or is late helping and it causes our defense to be off balance. I wonder how much of this is due to Skiles (if you'll remember we all complained about his scheme where the weakside guy would have one foot in the paint helping for vucevic and we allowed like thousands of wide open corner threes) so he's having a hard time coping with that vs what we did last year vs what we're doing this year. All different defensive philosophies that require different movements and enough reps that you perform those rotations without thinking about them.

When you defend Lebron you don't help off Lebron. you just stick on LeBron. Lebron has the ball or LeBron will get the ball. if you give him an inch he'll exploit it. so you just stay on LeBron. It simplifies everything. He just needs to stay on his man. He was the Giannis stopper in the Olympic qualifying for I think the same reasons.

Is he in a situation where he is a good on- ball defender/ man defender but a bad team defender? Or just a ok man defender and bad team defender?

Because it seems like he loves defending the really good players, but he has no idea what to do when he is defending a lesser player, getting him stuck in lala land where he doesn't help anywhere. 

Just now, Odin said:

Is he in a situation where he is a good on- ball defender/ man defender but a bad team defender? Or just a ok man defender and bad team defender?

Because it seems like he loves defending the really good players, but he has no idea what to do when he is defending a lesser player, getting him stuck in lala land where he doesn't help anywhere. 

who really knows. it doesn't help that we're a heavily swich and help based team now.

I wish I knew if Khem Birch was ready for real NBA minutes because if he can be Brandan Wright from 5 years ago I'm trading for Bledsoe, benching Biyombo until next summer when I stretch his contract, and just blizing teams with a Bledsoe-Fournier-ross-Gordon-vucevic whoever is left at pg-simmons-isaac-birch rotation.

and occasionally I'm running Bledsoe-simmons-Isaac-Gordon-birch lineups and just laughing while the other team tries to score.

2 hours ago, Payton4thewin said:

I wish I knew if Khem Birch was ready for real NBA minutes because if he can be Brandan Wright from 5 years ago I'm trading for Bledsoe, benching Biyombo until next summer when I stretch his contract, and just blizing teams with a Bledsoe-Fournier-ross-Gordon-vucevic whoever is left at pg-simmons-isaac-birch rotation.

and occasionally I'm running Bledsoe-simmons-Isaac-Gordon-birch lineups and just laughing while the other team tries to score.

They are not going to play birch with biz on the team. They are paying biz too much for that.  Need to find a taker for biz. How bout Phoenix?