Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

from an article on why otto porter is a max player

On defense, Porter ranked 30th among small forwards in ESPN’s defensive Real Plus Minus metric -- ahead of several of those bigger names: Hayward (40th), George (41st), and Anthony (66th). Porter may never make an All-Defense team, but his length, activity and team play are necessary for good team defense, which is what’s most important.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/4/15918836/otto-porter-washington-wizards-max-player-nba-free-agency

That doesn't scream elite to me.

Gordon has a much higher ceiling than porter.

elite wing defender?!?!?!?!?!?

players shot 41% from 3 when porter was defending

players shot 65% 0-6 feet from the basket when porter was defending

players shot 42% from midrange when porter was defending.

players shot 48% overall when porter was defending

Washington played better defense as a team when Porter was on the bench.

Gordon was 33.6, 59.4, 35.4, 42.9 comparatively

What does AG do that's elite that puts him in some different class then porter other than the fact that he plays on the magic and people will continue to talk about his untapped potential due to his athleticism despite his average and inconsistent play.

I'm not saying porter is great, but Gordon isn't either and they're both gonna get paid like elite players.

Statistically they're similar. Role players.

What does AG do that's elite that puts him in some different class then porter other than the fact that he plays on the magic and people will continue to talk about his untapped potential due to his athleticism despite his average and inconsistent play.

I'm not saying porter is great, but Gordon isn't either and they're both gonna get paid like elite players.

DEFENSE

Hes 2 years younger

See the post you quoted for the answer. Spoiler alert...actual man to man defense

DEFENSE

AND PORTER IS AN ELITE 3 POINT SHOOTER

What's your point? So they do 1 thing elite. Cool. Role players.

You say anything negative about AG on here and the resistance mob comes running.

You were kind of dismissive of his defense while ignoring that stats that P4TW posted. That can come off as more than legit criticism.

No dog in this fight just thought I'd give my perspective.

I mean you asked a question

All I said was I don't see how people think the porter contract is insane when AG's contract is gonna be just as bad. I guess for those that still think AG is HOF bound it would. But realistically they're both role players that have limitations. Gordon can't shoot but is a better individual defender. Porter is an elite shooter and good team defender but more of a 3rd-4th option. Much like AG. Stats are similar.

You were kind of dismissive of his defense while ignoring that stats that P4TW posted. That can come off as more than legit criticism.

No dog in this fight just thought I'd give my perspective.

I'm at work so unfortunately I can't counter with research like that. I'll acknledge AG is a better individual defender but he's the same caliber of player.

AND PORTER IS AN ELITE 3 POINT SHOOTER

What's your point? So they do 1 thing elite. Cool. Role players.

Porter was elite until he massively regressed post trade deadline. Is he elite or was that some weird flourish similar to oladipo every year