Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Pistons Vs Magic

This guy.

If I offered to buy you 50 lotto tickets for the next PowerBall, I'm guessing you'd opt for just one ticket instead on the principle of saving some paper.

To use your lottery ticket analogy...

I have a winning lottery ticket for $10. I offer it to you. You decline it because you'd rather hit the $1 million.

That's what all this hope of losing is.

I've already pointed out that of the last 20 championships, only about 4 of those championships were built via a "tank for high picks" dynamic. And 2 of those championships were the Jordan / Pippen Bulls.

The other 16 were built via drafting at whatever position they had, not purposefully losing for higher picks, and then doing this magical thing called building talent around them.

Funny how history shows that losing doesn't lead to winning.

"This guy"

I have a winning lottery ticket for $10. I offer it to you. You decline it because you'd rather hit the $1 million.

I've already pointed out that of the last 20 championships, only about 4 of those championships were built via a "tank for high picks" dynamic. And 2 of those championships were the Jordan / Pippen Bulls.

The other 16 were built via drafting at whatever position they had, not purposefully losing for higher picks, and then doing this magical thing called building talent around them.

"This guy"

no, because the 100% chance of $10 > 1 in 292,201,338 odds of winning the powerball.

"This guy"

It's just semantics to call losing last nights game tanking or just being an outright loss. The fact is that winning that meaningless game in a lost season gave us a worse chance to pick the highest prospects on our board. You cannot deny that. You might not care about it but you can't deny it.

That being said, to act like that meaningless win and avoiding "tanking" in that one instance has significance in the overall context of building a winning team, but TANGIBLY INCREASING OUR CHANCES TO HAVE A HIGHER PICK IN THE DRAFT doesn't matter at all is not only contradictory, but it's some of the worst reasoning I've seen on here.

For that reason, you are "that guy".

and ultimately, all we're saying is you need an elite player to have a contending team. current rules limiting player movement and trends of players going to elite teams means the odds of getting that player through free agency is slim.

if you cant get a free agent great player you need to go into trades or the draft.

trades require outbidding teams that might have bigger assets than you which is outside of your control.

so the only situation where you control your own outlook is the draft. its still a gamble. but the odds of obtaining a good player are significantly greater than the other options.

Not sure why everyone is so upset with the win last night. Instead of drafting the next Porzingis with the #4 pick, we'll just pick the next Hezonja with #5.

I wonder how much Detroit would give now to have the #1 pick and get Lebron instead of Darko at #2...how many more titles would Detroit have won getting Lebron after back to back championships.

and ultimately, all we're saying is you need an elite player to have a contending team. current rules limiting player movement and trends of players going to elite teams means the odds of getting that player through free agency is slim.

if you cant get a free agent great player you need to go into trades or the draft.

trades require outbidding teams that might have bigger assets than you which is outside of your control.

so the only situation where you control your own outlook is the draft. its still a gamble. but the odds of obtaining a good player are significantly greater than the other options.

It really is mind boggling that there are fans who don't understand this.

Almost all of the success this franchise has enjoyed has been directly due to hitting it big in the lotto. We'd all love to live in a world where we can root for wins every night, even in losing seasons, but it simply isn't in the best interest of our long term success to win meaningless games when our best chance of contending is through drafting well.

Higher draft picks lead to a better chance of drafting good players. Having good players leads to more trade opportunities due to having more assets. Having good players also (ideally) leads to success on the court. Success on the court leads to a better chance of landing big FAs.

The mindset of completely disregarding the importance of drafting as high as possible makes absolutely no sense. I just think some people like to be contrarian.

I wonder how much Detroit would give now to have the #1 pick and get Lebron instead of Darko at #2...how many more titles would Detroit have won getting Lebron after back to back championships.

Wellc, considering that they still passed on Carmelo, 2 rings from Bosh, and 3 rings from Wade, and still ended up with a ring AFTER that draft, something tells me that draft position wasn't what hurt them.

Almost all of the success this franchise has enjoyed has been directly due to hitting it big in the lotto. We'd all love to live in a world where we can root for wins every night, even in losing seasons, but it simply isn't in the best interest of our long term success to win meaningless games when our best chance of contending is through drafting well.

Higher draft picks lead to a better chance of drafting good players. Having good players leads to more trade opportunities due to having more assets. Having good players also (ideally) leads to success on the court. Success on the court leads to a better chance of landing big FAs.

The mindset of completely disregarding the importance of drafting as high as possible makes absolutely no sense. I just think some people like to be contrarian.

The history of success of this franchise has been on getting lucky in the lottery, but the history of success throughout the NBA has not been.

The history of success of this franchise has been on getting lucky in the lottery, but the history of success throughout the NBA has not been.

Exactly. Every situation, team and market is different. We are discussing the Magic. Our success has come through the draft primarily. So why not improve our chances in the draft at the expense of a meaningless win?

its not contrarianism, it's a bias formed by emotion impacting your ability to understand probabilities. it's a weird brain thing that lotteries prey on which is why you see people blowing a bunch of money on lottery tickets because somebody has to win. but there's a relative certainty that it wont be you. Its the same thing we saw post September 11th. People were afraid to fly post 9/11 which resulted in increased distance driving. but you're considerably more likely to die by driving long distances than you are as a result of air travel, terrorism or otherwise. So the road fatalities in the year after 9/11 increased by 1,595 while commercial air travel has only had 4 fatal accidents in the 13 years after 9/11.