Soul Bro

Is It Time for Rob to Go?

Is It Time for Rob to Go?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Time for Rob to Go?

• Yes, I no longer have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • No, I still have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • Unsure

You're talking about a coach having quasi-GM responsibility. They do have input ("hey get this guy out he's causing a problem" or "now is a good time to trade this guy" etc.). But the coach doesn't hire the GM the GM hires him, and that's the structure/line of reporting. Else you'd have all the players screaming at the GM to/about each other.

I bet that if Vogel had as much say about the players as you think we'd have more than a couple of new faces. Vuc would be gone for sure.

GMs don't have blanket authority. They serve at the pleasure of ownership. Zach lowe talked about this a lot in reference to the nets and Billy king. That king shouldn't get the full blame because prokhorov was pushing him to make a playoff team and gamble the future to win now. But at the same time it's on king to persuade ownership with his own vision. And that king could have resigned at any time.

It's still early. Trades will probably happen.

Biz isn't ready offensively to take the reigns. Vogel likes bigs who can do some of the scoring.

OK I can somewhat agree with the above.

But Biz more likely than not, won't reach Vuc level of offense (Vuc is very skilled offensively). Vuc had a pretty layup against Gortat tonight from the top of the key, and I don't see Biz reaching that level any time soon.

GMs don't have blanket authority. They serve at the pleasure of ownership. Zach lowe talked about this a lot in reference to the nets and Billy king. That king shouldn't get the full blame because prokhorov was pushing him to make a playoff team and gamble the future to win now. But at the same time it's on king to persuade ownership with his own vision. And that king could have resigned at any time.

Yes I agree with this. It's well documented that nets owner made certain wishes and King followed through (for better or worse). Here, I don't recall Rich DeVos or others giving clear dictums to management. The GM has had full control and, for the most part, allowed free reign.

Yes I agree with this. It's well documented that nets owner made certain wishes and King followed through (for better or worse). Here, I don't recall Rich DeVos or others giving clear dictums to management. The GM has had full control and, for the most part, allowed free reign.

This management isn't quite like the others man. The nepotism this organization has practiced is documented.

I didn't say management forced Henny, just influenced.

Yes I agree with this. It's well documented that nets owner made certain wishes and King followed through (for better or worse). Here, I don't recall Rich DeVos or others giving dictums to management. The GM has had full control and, for the most part, allowed free reign.

There's plenty of reports that ownership grew impatient with the rebuild and pushed for a playoffs or bust strategy. And that ownership heavily impacted the coaching search last year.

For me, firing Hennigan has little to do with Hennigan. I just have no confidence in ownership to make a legitimate choice for his successor. Look at everything that came out after we moved away from Otis. The amount of infrastructure that was lacking in our scouting department. That's inexcusable.

There's plenty of reports that ownership grew impatient with the rebuild and pushed for a playoffs or bust strategy. And that ownership heavily impacted the coaching search last year.

For me, firing Hennigan has little to do with Hennigan. I just have no confidence in ownership to make a legitimate choice for his successor. Look at everything that came out after we moved away from Otis. The amount of infrastructure that was lacking in our scouting department. That's inexcusable.

Good point. Another reason why I'm unsure with firing him.

They'll turn around and make the veteran cheerleading coach GM because they've been there for so long.

This management isn't quite like the others man. The nepotism this organization has practiced is documented.

I didn't say management forced Henny, just influenced.

I want to clarify one thing. Just to make sure we on the same page.

The difference between ownership and management. Rich is owner, and Martins is part of management. Both have different duties and responsibilities. Rich is not management and vice versa.

I know Martins is part of DeVos family so perhaps that's questionable. But is that any different than the CEO of a big company also being part of the BODs? That's commonplace.

I want to clarify one thing. Just to make sure we on the same page.

The difference between ownership and management. Rich is owner, and Martins is part of management. Both have different duties and responsibilities. Rich is not management and vice versa.

I know Martins is part of DeVos family so perhaps that's questionable. But is that any different than the CEO of a big company also being part of the BODs? That's commonplace.

I meant Martin's this whole time. I never said owner. If I did it was an error but yeah, I mean this is a who you know world so even big business has some nepotism there but it's really huge, blindly huge at times (rehiring BHill as coach) wth the Magic.

I meant Martin's this whole time. I never said owner. If I did it was an error but yeah, I mean this is a who you know world so even big business has some nepotism there but it's really huge, blindly huge at times (rehiring BHill as coach) wth the Magic.

Yeah. Martins is the day to day representative of ownership

Ok that's cool just wanted to know we on the same page.

I can't disagree with Bhill example but with the new arena and the team being worth close to $1B I just think it's harder now to make bad decisions with so much money on the line. I think when Dwight was here the team was worth $1B.

Ok that's cool just wanted to know we on the same page.

I can't disagree with Bhill example but with the new arena and the team being worth close to $1B I just think it's harder now to make bad decisions with so much money on the line. I think when Dwight was here the team was worth $1B.

I kinda feel the opposite. The franchise is worth a significant amount of money by default. You can afford to be more risky

I missed this post.

We were deciding between Hennigan and Dennis Lindsey. Lindsey has done good stuff in Utah. Imagine if we had Lindsey. Based on that I think the GM search was conducted very well. If they do move on from Hennigan I would hope we interview similar quality candidates.